WTB 1/18th Jeep (soldier force)

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

WTB 1/18th Jeep (soldier force)

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 am

Hi All,

As the title say`s I`m looking for some 1/18th Chap mei Soldier Force Jeep (WWII style though has a raised part on the bonnet).
I don`t want to cut up a GATES or Solido jeep but rather a cheap one :D

I plan on turning them into British WWII armoured cars so plastic one`s also would be an added advantage :D

Pm or post if you can help :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:01 am

How about a PTE jeep?
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:22 am

What PTE did a WWII type jeep? WOW that would be great too,if yes mate, YES Please 2 of them :D

ja
Steel Bonnet

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:06 am

as far as a british armoured car goes, you know about the chap mei armored car right? Looks like a wartime daimler or post war Fox. With some mods it can look decent and is just the right size.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:53 am

Thank`s Aferg & yes i know the one you mentioned :D

I always thought it was moreso based on the French Panad (sp) armoured car. Though yes a little work & it could easily pass for British.

I`ll have to see if I can locate some of those unless some kind souls here have any spares??? HAHA :D

Again thank`s mate :D

ja
Steel Bonnet

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:47 pm

yes, you're right.....it does look like the french panhard aml-90. Do you know if those were ever used in combat?

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:07 am

Must admit I`m not too sure. I do know some Panhards were used during the war though not which type.

Though with a bit of creativity a British scout car could come from that. I think I`ll keep an eye out for one of those :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:02 am

i did some research. The Panhard AML was used in a few conflicts; Rhodesia, Angolan civil war, Falklands (though all were captured before they fired a shot), Lebonese civil war, plus duty with the UN Peacekeepers.

Of that, the Angolan civil war was the most prominant use. The SADF used them plus their own version, the Eland, in fairly large numbers.

None of the WWII Panhards look anything like the Chap Mei car, so it is strictly a post war looking armored car.

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:32 am

Thank`s very much for the history run Aferg. Appreciate that.

As for not looking like it`s WWII brethren well as said a little custom work may give me a STAGHOUND or something like that?? After all the Commonwealth had a whole array of Armoured cars during WWII :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:08 am

it's really too small to be most of the WWII armored cars though, unless you're not fussy. The one it is most sized like is the little daimler...it kinda looks like a cross between a daimler and a humber, and is the daimler's size. It also looks like a post war Ferret too. However, it looks most like the Panhard AML, as you pointed out to me. :)

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:22 am

True Aferg true. Most were actually bigger.

Though during the Desert campaign there were some unique armour pieces seen there. So maybe a "armoured vehicle for a supply starved unit"??
Though The Ferret idea may also work too. Starting to have quite the little gathering of Modern British (L1A1s are from GI JOE & Action Force). Sterlings I`m going to have to make some. L85s aka SA80s MarauderJohn :D
Figures I`ve already done.

I`ve got a Landie 109 as well as my Defender Wolfs & WMIKs :D Plus my Prized 1/18th Scimitar CVRT.
So vehicle wise I can make a unit when the ferret was still in service :D (Scimitar,landie 109,Ferret) :D Troop wise that`s already done.Just need to make the appropriate `58 webbing if not PLCE (as it was coming into service) & your there :D

Damn You Aferg.......HAHAHAHA

Ja
Steel Bonnet

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:04 am

The Chap Mei Daimler looks good. I just came across one , if I'm lucky I'll get the lot for 10 bucks which is the reserve on an online auction here.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:52 am

I have the SWAT version of the Chap Mei car. It's on my list to convert to an SDK 222. At the time I found it, I did my science homework by the very complicated method of putting the 32x 222 next to the 32x Tiger I, then putting the Chap Mei next to the 1:18 Tiger I and it looked about right.

That works for me anyway. :D

I'll replicate my lab experiment and post a picture for anyone else considering this type of project.

Also, does anyone know where to get more of these little guys? Or what they were "officially" labelled on the box? My box is long gone.

As for the PTE jeep, I'm pretty sure they've only made the mutt, but could be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:10 pm

In order to un-hijack SB's original request for Chap Mei jeeps, I started a new post and uploaded comparison shots of the 32x SDK/Tiger and the 18x Chap Mei/Tiger there. Sorry SB! :D

viewtopic.php?p=60490#60490
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com