Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Post by bluedonkey99 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I can also vouch for the two polish sellers epap quoted, good prices and cheap fast shipping (well from Poland to UK).

BD99
------------------------------------------------
http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks bluedonkey99.

Yeah I got a few I'm watching from those Polish sellers. They have a lot of each in stock so no hurry.
Don't know if I'll even like 1:144 till I get the Mariner. I suspect I will though.
Good thing I bought the one that was on there for $30 as the other one is hitting a ridiculous price right now. :shock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PBM-3D-MAR ... 416ef0c2fc

Some of the other planes you can get cheap from Poland for $12 are at stupid prices from US sellers because of the Christmas rush. :roll:

I visited your site btw 8)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 pm

holy cow!

i just bought a Mariner about 10 days ago for about $32 shipped and i was grumbling a bit about the price but it was the last one, so i figured i'd better grab it. Glad i did.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 pm

by the way....is the Dragon 1/144 B-29 Superfortress a good model? I imagine it's better than the Altaya one? Is there a better choice?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 am

aferguson wrote:by the way....is the Dragon 1/144 B-29 Superfortress a good model? I imagine it's better than the Altaya one? Is there a better choice?
The Dragon rendition---I have one-----has got to be better than the IXO---which I don't have. Even though the canopy and other windows are painted not opaque, it has nice detail, no gaps and is really heavy.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:03 am

I was looking at those Dragon B-29's. The last one I watched went for $9. Though it was "Bock's Car" the atomic bomb plane, and had no turrets.

Does the Corgi have transparent windows? I've read the Dragon is still considered superior though, same with the B-17. Both more readily available and at less cost than the Corgi's.

There's many a 1:144 that have the painted on windows, but it's hard to tell from photos sometimes. Something that's a norm with such a small scale I'm guessing.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 am

wow, you mean the nose glazing on the dragon is painted on not clear?? That's bad. That would push me in the direction of the Altaya version. I'm also not fussy about the heavy handed looking surface detail on the upper wings of the Dragon version.

The main problem i can see with the Altaya is that they put the stars and bars insignia on both upper wings, instead of just the left. I suspect the one on the right wing can be removed with nail polish remover, but it's quite a gaff.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 am

Dauntless wrote:I was looking at those Dragon B-29's. The last one I watched went for $9. Though it was "Bock's Car" the atomic bomb plane, and had no turrets.

Does the Corgi have transparent windows? I've read the Dragon is still considered superior though, same with the B-17. Both more readily available and at less cost than the Corgi's.

There's many a 1:144 that have the painted on windows, but it's hard to tell from photos sometimes. Something that's a norm with such a small scale I'm guessing.
The Corgi B-29 has transparent windows at the front and for the rear gunner's position. It's not bad, but I'd rate the Dragon B-29, over-all, as better. As for the B-17s, there's no contest. The Corgis lack all sorts of detail and can't even be compared with Dragon's versions.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:33 am

While we are talking about 1:144th scale models I should note that recent "part work" lines like the Hachette Japanese line and the DeAgostini Russian series have departed from the norm and offer their bomber/transports/sea planes in slightly larger scales----typically 1:120th, though there are variations. Meanwhile the GE Fabbri Italian line continues to stick mostly to 1:144th. The main problem with the Italian line is the very poor quality of the painting while the Russian models offered by DeAgostini are generally of low quality. In contrast, the Hachette replicas, while not perfect, are far superior to anything I've seen elsewhere and are finally cropping up on eBay. My point is that these newer lines offer a fairly large number of planes that IXO, Altaya and Atlas haven't touched and, if you care to make corrections and are flexible as to scale, they can greatly expand your collection of smaller than 1:72nd scale warbirds. Here are a few pictures from my collection. First a group of Japanese planes from hachette:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 am

Some more from Hachette:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 am

One last group:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:37 am

The SM-81 in the next picture is a repainted version in 1:144th scale of the GE Fabbri model:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 am

The DB3F and PE-2 in this picture are from the DeAgostini series. The PE-2 is a total redo with the horizontal stabilizers bent upwards to the correct aspect:Image
Last edited by Epap on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:42 am

Finally, the TU-2 in this picture is another DeAgostini creation, not available elsewhere:Image

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Warbird Kid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 am

Nice collection! I've known about these for some time (and even collected a few) but I haven't seen all of them apparently! I still get kind of confused when it comes to all the companies, the rebranding / packaging etc.
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 am

well, after doing a bit of a survey, i conclude there aren't really any great choices for a 1/144 b-29.

I don't like the Dragon because of its painted windows.

I don't like Corgi as the shape seems off a bit and i just in general don't like Corgi models...too heavy, too smooth and big rivets in them.

the altaya is not bad BUT, the are no gun turrets on them, even for the paint scheme that should have them, so it's really only goof for Enola Gay and Bocks Car and i'd rather get a version that will accomodate all liveries.

Sooo...the only other options is building a model kit. I'll wait for a while and hopefully someone else will make a good one. Too bad Cafereo isn't around anymore..

Edit: ok so i just bought a Dragon B-29...lol. After reading reviews and looking at pics i can see it is a fine model. The nose blister is clear, i thought it was also painted on, which was what was putting me off about it. I got Bocks Car for what i think is a pretty good price at Diecast Supermart...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 am

Congrats on getting the "Bocks Car" Aferg. 8)
After research on the Dragon's there's only three made, the two that dropped the A-bombs and another that has turrets and nose art. That one seems to be hard to find.

Always a treat to see your collections Epap. I was wondering who made the "Rita"?
The Russian four engine bomber looks nice too. I've seen that one up for sale by IXO / Altaya.
Came upon another Japanese bomber while doing a 1:144 search. Vlad's just put a few of these up.
Pre-painted, partial assembly required. In different schemes.
Nakajima Fugaku. It looks huge with six counter rotating engines:

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 am

Dauntless wrote:Congrats on getting the "Bocks Car" Aferg. 8)
After research on the Dragon's there's only three made, the two that dropped the A-bombs and another that has turrets and nose art. That one seems to be hard to find.

Always a treat to see your collections Epap. I was wondering who made the "Rita"?
The Russian four engine bomber looks nice too. I've seen that one up for sale by IXO / Altaya.
Came upon another Japanese bomber while doing a 1:144 search. Vlad's just put a few of these up.
Pre-painted, partial assembly required. In different schemes.
Nakajima Fugaku. It looks huge with six counter rotating engines:
Thanks D. The Rita is from Hachette. I redid the engine nacelles in aluminum paint based on a picture of an actual Rita I found on the Internet. I saw that six engined monster in Vlad's listings and will probably buy one when I return from my hospital adventure.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 am

Knew I'd seen your Rita over at DCHB now I recall. Unlike the Fugaku, the Rita actually flew but too late to be deployed. There's newsreel of it on Youtube I do believe.

Speaking of counter rotating props, I'd love to have a TU-95 Bear
My brother told me one buzzed the Navy ship he was on back in the 70's

Good luck on your adventure...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 am

the Bear was made by Atlas in 1/144 and now fetches hefty prices. And it's pretty crude, like all Atlas offerings.

Lots of model kits of the Bear. Whether they'll be another prebuilt or not is doubtful.

Yes, good luck, Epap.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 am

that G10N1 is pretty neat, i'd never heard of it before. Does Fujimi make any other prebuilt models in 1/144?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Too bad about the TU- 95 Bear. A sure winner of a diecast model that should be made up to today's standards in 1:144. I think it'd be very popular.

I did a search for Fujimi and couldn't find anything else prebuilt. Maybe their first? Hopefully not the last.

The Flying Mule sent me their weekly newsletter and they are now carrying D'Agostini 1:144.
Took a look and the only one that looks halfway decent is the FW-200 Condor imo.
Is there any difference between the IXO / Altaya version and the D'Agostini, or is it the same plane? It's cheap enough.
http://www.flyingmule.com/range/diecast ... -aircraft/

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 pm

most of Deagostini's stuff are Atlas re-releases, so stay clear. I think their Condor is an Altaya however. But i wouldn't take the chance. There are oodles of true Altaya Fw 200's on Ebay for $18 shipped.

Yeah, Fujimi have made a pretty interesting plane with their first prebuilt 1/144. And huge, nearly the size of a B-36. That one's on the 'git it' list for sure.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 am

...which would possibly explain why the FW-200 looks better than the rest, but yeah suspect of D'Agostini planes.

They did make some cool Star Wars Titanium sized diecast ships unavailable elsewhere though and hard to find now.

A B-36 Peacemaker in 1:144 would be something to behold. Another bomber in the smaller scale that would sell good imo.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Building my 1:144 Flying Boat collection. Just won an early war PBY Catalina

and a buy it now Blohm & Voss 222 Viking

Anybody got these?
Most of the reviews I could find are positive give or take a few minor things typical of IXO like unpainted engine cylinders. an easy fix.
From what I'm seeing around the web the BV-222 is huge for a 1:144.