Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Post by bluedonkey99 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:26 am

I am not sure of any reviews, I dont recall ever having the Bandai one but I did have number of the F-Toys go through my hands a few years for good money. They are still around ebay etc, do look around they can be found for sensible prices.

BD99
------------------------------------------------
http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 pm

bluedonkey: do you know if Cafereo is re-issuing the G4M Betty with Ohka? I found a website that says they are taking pre-orders for it. I hope so because they are super expensive to buy on ebay......i'm talking $75 plus shipping.

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/c ... num=CFR007

also, is there both a 1/144 and a 1/200 BV 222 made by Altaya? I see listings for both on ebay but not sure if the scale is wrong in one of them.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluedonkey99 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 am

AF

CafeReo as issuer of 1/144 is defunct, it spun off its 1/144 Aircraft production and marketing to Algernon who produced a series of 1/144 aircraft. Primarily the J-Wings / USMC series of aircraft with some WWII thrown in, indeed that last double issue was of Axis and Allied flying boats and even Algernon have gone a bit quiet over the last year with regard to new aircraft releases. I would be therefore skeptical of any new releases from CafeReo at this point due the back history and that there is nothing on the grapevine regarding this from the usual sources in Japan.

Depending on your modeling skills and perseverance there are other Bettys available in 1/144 and company in the Czech Republic was doing a Resin OKHA (http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... llery.html , http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... pdate.html ,

(or Tin-soldier used to do a Metal one http://www.tin-soldier.com/fighter/pilot/okav1.htm the site seems to have been reworked since and the range reduced, but it might be worth an email http://www.tin-soldier.com/ - It’s a strange one as the photos of the painted kit make it loom much worse than it actually is!)

I don't think that Altaya, Amercom or IXO (same models, different marketeers) did a 1/200 BV-222, they certainly did a 1/144 as I have one of those here.

I have a suspicion that I may have seen 1/200 listings for the BV-222 but haven’t investigated as generally the 1/200 is a step to far for mixing it with 1/144.

The 1/200 could be a miss labeling, there is a common practice on ebay for people to think “oh, that’s looks smaller it must be 1/144”. The classic case is all the Atlas ‘Giants of the Sky’ series Ar-234 which is almost always listed as 1/144 and is not – although people may get confused as it is generally sent out as bonus item on the 1/144 bomber series!

BD99

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:32 am

interesting because there are several listings for 1/200 Altaya BV 222 and the stand is different than for the 1/144 BV-222. Plus the model looks small in proportion to the stand on the 1/200 labelled version, but maybe it's just a bigger stand?

Edit: i emailed one seller of 1/200 BV-222 and they have confirmed the wingpsan of the 1/200 BV-222 is about 9 inches, which is correct for 1/200. I have seen other 1/200 Altaya planes, like the C-17, so it seems they did the BV-222 in both scales.

Also, do the wings move on the Altaya F-111 Aardvark? From pics it doesn't look like they will swing back.

bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluedonkey99 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 pm

AF

Intetesting indeed around the 1/200 items.
As for the Altaya F-111, sorry I don't know. I don't really collect modern jets, with the exception of some RAF or US x-planes

BD99

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Did anyone ever buy from bcmini.com . They are a wholesaler for Japanese type erasers but they also wholecase cases of F-Toys, J-wings, etc. Cse price seem decent with a per piece price around $5. The downside is shipping cost and if you o0nly want 1 or 2 specific models you get stuck with a bunch you don't want

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 pm

BD:

have you seen the new Deagostini Do-217? I think it's a K or an M. I love the plane but i'm leary of Deagostini quality....it looks like Atlas quality, which isn't so good and the picture doesn't look very promising. Just wondering if you've seen it first hand and can comment.

bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluedonkey99 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm

AF

Without a link or image i cant provide to much guidance. On differing forums people are either reporting Deagostini as reboxed Atlas models, as well as rebranded Altaya/Ixo/Amercom.....

in the UK Deagostini are rebranding Altaya/Ixo/Amercom models
http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... in-uk.html

The recent Russian releases by Deagostini appear to be more Atlas based
http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ch-by.html

I can say that in principle:

The Cafe Reo is still probably the best 1/144 217 out there***
The Altaya/Ixo/Amercom is the next best, but still as some issues *
Most of the Atlas models are considered poor affairs **

* The undercarriage mud guards are oddly the wrong way which is a shame.#
* Some people maintain the "shade" is out on some of the Camo, yet typcially these are people who like Corgi kits that although have some refinement are still held together with ruddy great bolts and seam lines?

** Poor show Atlas, so many things to list - an then there is their refusal to accept they had put the tail planes on the Lancaster the wrong way around. I'm not talking minor detailing errors. Then they were physically fixed into the riveted fuselage the wrong way as well you could see and they didn't fit into the slots in the fuselage!

*** though, the Cafe-Reo He-111 has its critics with regard to the foggy glazing

If you fancy kit building, Peters planes has one that is a inexpensive 'garage kit'.

BD99

bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluedonkey99 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm

AF

Without a link or image i cant provide to much guidance. On differing forums people are either reporting Deagostini as reboxed Atlas models, as well as rebranded Altaya/Ixo/Amercom.....

in the UK Deagostini are rebranding Altaya/Ixo/Amercom models
http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... in-uk.html

The recent Russian releases by Deagostini appear to be more Atlas based
http://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ch-by.html

I can say that in principle:

The Cafe Reo is still probably the best 1/144 217 out there***
The Altaya/Ixo/Amercom is the next best, but still as some issues *
Most of the Atlas models are considered poor affairs **

* The undercarriage mud guards are oddly the wrong way which is a shame.#
* Some people maintain the "shade" is out on some of the Camo, yet typcially these are people who like Corgi kits that although have some refinement are still held together with ruddy great bolts and seam lines?

** Poor show Atlas, so many things to list - an then there is their refusal to accept they had put the tail planes on the Lancaster the wrong way around. I'm not talking minor detailing errors. Then they were physically fixed into the riveted fuselage the wrong way as well you could see and they didn't fit into the slots in the fuselage!

*** though, the Cafe-Reo He-111 has its critics with regard to the foggy glazing

If you fancy kit building, Peters planes has one that is a inexpensive 'garage kit'.

BD99

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:52 pm

thanks for the response, as always BD. I have done some digging and the Deagostini Do 217K is indeed a reboxed Atlas. That said it doesn't look too awful but still has poor tailplane fit and a big gash down the sides where the top and bottom join. I also don't like the paint scheme at all. So i'm going to pass.

It seems that Altaya does many of the same planes as Atlas, so hopefully that trend will continue and we'll see some of the Atlas releases not covered yet such as the Beaufort, Do 217K/M, IL-4, and early model Wellington.

I'm glad F toys is stil around, i really like their planes, though it seems to me that they're not making them nearly as fast as they used to.

And speakng of He-111's.....which is the better one to get, the Cafereo or the Altaya?

bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluedonkey99 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 am

I'd err on the side of Cafe Reo if you can find.
The Altaya's cockpit canopy is a bit pointy!

BD99

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 pm

i just got the Cafereo Sunderland with markings red 2 E. I noticed something curious about it.

One wing has white nacelles and leading edges plus a white leading edge on the horizontal stabilizer and the other side has normally painted (ie non white) leading edges.

I know many Sunderlands were repainted with white leading edges on the wings and nacelles to hide them better from the front when approaching u-boats but i 've never seen this one side only paint scheme before.

There are two possibilities: Cafereo screwed up and should have had both sides the same (but i doubt this as it's a recent release and therefore more likely to be accurate) or the real plane was undergoing repainting but only one side was finished, leaving this half and half look.

I can't find any pics of 2 E on the net. Does anyone know if this paint scheme is correct or an error by Cafereo? It's easy enough to fix but i'd like to leave it if correct as it's interesting.

bluedonkey99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluedonkey99 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 am

AF

No idea and possibley the wrong forum, I'm not expert on Sunderlands...
I think its sometimes the case as with all scales that the companies often make odd choices in which model they produce. In that by producing a specific item that people will appreciate its uniqueness however many want a generic one so they can adapt. I suppose you cant please all the people all the time!?

BD99

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 am

is there any difference with Amercom releases, as to paint quality, marking choice etc compared to ixo/altaya? I know the model is the same, but just wondering if the finish is better, worse or about the same.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 am

aferguson wrote:interesting because there are several listings for 1/200 Altaya BV 222 and the stand is different than for the 1/144 BV-222. Plus the model looks small in proportion to the stand on the 1/200 labelled version, but maybe it's just a bigger stand?

Edit: i emailed one seller of 1/200 BV-222 and they have confirmed the wingpsan of the 1/200 BV-222 is about 9 inches, which is correct for 1/200. I have seen other 1/200 Altaya planes, like the C-17, so it seems they did the BV-222 in both scales.

Also, do the wings move on the Altaya F-111 Aardvark? From pics it doesn't look like they will swing back.
I have both models and, yes, the Amercom B+V 222 is in the 1:200th scale and looks OK if you do some weathering. As for the Amercom F-111, its wings don't move.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:30 am

Purchased my first 1:144 seaplane. If I like it I'll be getting more seaplanes and bombers. Other than a bunch of 1:144 21st Century fighter planes I got at Walmart years ago when they were on sale for next to nothing, it's my first multi-engine 1:144.

Anyone got this one yet, how is it? It's on the way.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 am

The IXO PBM is an OK model for what it is as is the Coronado, despite its speckled camouflage scheme---ugh!. If you are into flying boats as well as bombers these are the best of the IXOs among those I have personal experience with---assuming no QC issues:

1) Mavis
2) JU-290
3) Nell
4) Cant Z506
5) Whitley

Btw, one of the best flying boat models in this scale---or close to it----is the Model Power PBY ( 1:150th scale ) which is mostly metal and feels like it.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks Ed, hope you are ok after Sandy.

Yeah I've been looking at all the 1:144 available out there. It boggles the mind what's available. Some are next to impossible to find now like that Mavis and the Mariner. It's good to know which ones are better than others. Even looked at some Corgi B-52's after reading the discussions about them, but with those prices, yikes! :shock:

Got my eye on a few other flying boats and bombers.
There's a seller from Poland that's got just about everything including some of the ones you mentioned, they're fairly cheap with inexpensive shipping too.
Ever dealt with him before?

Reading the measurements on the 1:144 multi-engine planes, they are generally about the size of a 1:72 fighter it seems, so I figured what the heck. There's just no other way of getting some of these cool obscure planes other than building them which I don't have the time for.

I'll have to check out that Model Power Catalina.

(Sorry guys if I'm chiming in too much here, but there's not a whole lot of 1:144 discussion elsewhere, hope you don't mind) :)

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 am

Dauntless wrote:Thanks Ed, hope you are ok after Sandy.

Yeah I've been looking at all the 1:144 available out there. It boggles the mind what's available. Some are next to impossible to find now like that Mavis and the Mariner. It's good to know which ones are better than others. Even looked at some Corgi B-52's after reading the discussions about them, but with those prices, yikes! :shock:

Got my eye on a few other flying boats and bombers.
There's a seller from Poland that's got just about everything including some of the ones you mentioned, they're fairly cheap with inexpensive shipping too.
Ever dealt with him before?

Reading the measurements on the 1:144 multi-engine planes, they are generally about the size of a 1:72 fighter it seems, so I figured what the heck. There's just no other way of getting some of these cool obscure planes other than building them which I don't have the time for.

I'll have to check out that Model Power Catalina.

(Sorry guys if I'm chiming in too much here, but there's not a whole lot of 1:144 discussion elsewhere, hope you don't mind) :)

There are several Polish sellers on eBay that I use mostly for the Amercom bomber models. They are releasing more and more of the old IXOs----or copies thereof ---- under their brand name and those that I have purchased are practically identical to the original IXOs. Based on what I see in the eBay listings-----JU-290, FW-200, B&V 222, Emily, Wellington, Halifax, Cant Z506, etc. it shouldn't be long before we see an IXO Mavis pop up for only $12-15, plus shipping from Lukass or storekeeper-paradise. So far, I've had no problems with either of these suppliers.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am

the paint scheme on the ixo coronado is easily fixed. On the real plane, the sides had been hastily repainted white, to match the underside. Because it was a quick job, some of the orginal blue underneath still showed through in a splotchy effect. This is what Ixo was trying to represent with their model.....but they didn't do a very good job of it. All you need do however, is paint over the blue spots with a thin coat of white paint and it will look pretty much like it did on the real plane.

if you're into 1/144 flying boats, you should check out the Cafereo Big Bird ones. Better than ixo/altaya. A great selection too: sunderland, mavis, emily, catalina. blohm and voss, a russian beriev etc. Not diecast but good quality.

Has anyone got the Atlas Lockheed Hudson? I like the plane but i've heard so many bad things about Atlas diecasts that i'm leery of getting it.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 pm

aferguson wrote:the paint scheme on the ixo coronado is easily fixed. On the real plane, the sides had been hastily repainted white, to match the underside. Because it was a quick job, some of the orginal blue underneath still showed through in a splotchy effect. This is what Ixo was trying to represent with their model.....but they didn't do a very good job of it. All you need do however, is paint over the blue spots with a thin coat of white paint and it will look pretty much like it did on the real plane.

if you're into 1/144 flying boats, you should check out the Cafereo Big Bird ones. Better than ixo/altaya. A great selection too: sunderland, mavis, emily, catalina. blohm and voss, a russian beriev etc. Not diecast but good quality.

Has anyone got the Atlas Lockheed Hudson? I like the plane but i've heard so many bad things about Atlas diecasts that i'm leery of getting it.
I have it, AF. The problem with the old Atlas bomber series, apart from its relative crudeness compared to more recent lines by IXO, GE Fabbri, Hachette, etc. is that the
colors are often way off and this is especially true for those models wearing British markings---as is the case with the Hudson. For example, the dark blue on the British roundels, which are stuck on----not pad printed----is rendered in a light shade and the red looks like purple. Add to this the fact that the markings are often applied in a haphazard manner, plus the atrocious way the landing gear is handled and you have issues. That said, I redid my Hudson, though I didn't go all the way by installing gear bay doors----which are missing----and it came out rather well. Here it is at the bottom of this group picture:Image

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Dauntless wrote:Purchased my first 1:144 seaplane. If I like it I'll be getting more seaplanes and bombers. Other than a bunch of 1:144 21st Century fighter planes I got at Walmart years ago when they were on sale for next to nothing, it's my first multi-engine 1:144.

Anyone got this one yet, how is it? It's on the way.
Dauntless
Would you mind telling me where you bought it. I have been looking for it as my Dad's WWII memoribilia had a piture of a Mariner in flight.
Thanks

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 pm

...got it on ebay jlspec. Same seller has one people are bidding on. I didn't want to fight for it, so I did a buy it now on his other one. It's still up.

Americom huh? I'll look under that too. Think I'll try out one of the Polish sellers, thanks Epap.

Yeah Aferg, been checking out the Cafereo, F-Toys and Takara stuff. I noticed they make the Emily and Mavis too, so that might be a good option. No problem with plastic stuff, been collecting 21stC, and BBI for years now.

There's this other company that does amazingly detailed 1:144 fighter sized planes called Avioni X from Japan. They are as detailed as a 1:72 fighter, but unfortunately as expensive as a 1:72 bomber. Worth checking out though.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:51 pm

thanks for the info, Epap. I think i'll wait on the Hudson and hope Altaya makes one. They seem to be making all the other models Atlas have done, so hopefully it's just a matter of time til they get around to doing the Hudson.

Atlas has some interesting choices, not avalable anywhere else in 1/144 prebuilt, like the C-46, Nord Noratlas, Blenheim, Beaufort, B-1, Tu-20, an early model Wellington etc. It's frustrating that they're quality is so low.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:21 pm

aferguson wrote:thanks for the info, Epap. I think i'll wait on the Hudson and hope Altaya makes one. They seem to be making all the other models Atlas have done, so hopefully it's just a matter of time til they get around to doing the Hudson.

Atlas has some interesting choices, not avalable anywhere else in 1/144 prebuilt, like the C-46, Nord Noratlas, Blenheim, Beaufort, B-1, Tu-20, an early model Wellington etc. It's frustrating that they're quality is so low.
There's an Atlas Beaufort up for sale on eBak/uk and it displays the color problems that I mentioned for British planes in this series. The upper surface colors are a very light and very dark green rather than green and gray and the roundels are awful. I have the Beaufort---my example had such a warped tail that I binned it-----as well as the C-46, the Blenheim ( a Free French version ) and the Soviet Tupelov bomber. The latter is very big---hence impressive from a distance---- but is extremely crude and the Blenheim is just too small to bother with. I was able to fix a canopy gap on the C-46 and redid its gear to simulate it in the "up" position. It's sitting contentedly in one of my display cases.