So What's the Good Word at Dragon Expo '07?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

So What's the Good Word at Dragon Expo '07?

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:07 am

Hi,
Although we couldnt make it this year, I was wondering what those of you that did manage to attend thought of the Show?

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

DX '08

Post by lightning2000 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi,
Given Dragon's penchant for piggybacking off the IPMS Expo, I think there's a good chance that next year's show will be in Atlanta. This is what I discovered while trolling the net:

6/20/2008
To
6/21/2008 Georgia
Marietta
Region 3 IPMS Metro Atlanta Model Expo 2008
Cobb Civic Center
548 S Marietta Pkwy
IPMS Marietta

That's the same venue used for DX '05. Guess we'll have to see what Dragon has in mind...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by theToyFederation » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:25 pm

on the MDFC forum Dragon announced the venue for Expo 2008:

When: August 6-9, 2008
Where: Virginia Beach Convention Center, VA
www.thetoyfederation.com
"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:24 pm

Excellent news. Much closer to me than California so I can actually make it next year.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

News

Post by lightning2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:32 am

Wow, that is good news. I reckon VA Beach is around a 5-6 hour drive for us instead of having to go bi-coastal. Is the show piggybacking off of any other show like they usually do?

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by theToyFederation » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:12 am

The 2008 IPMS National Convention will also be in Virginia Beach.
www.thetoyfederation.com
"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

DX 08

Post by lightning2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:16 am

Hi,
Interesting. I guess there are multiple IPMS shows throughout the year.

Not sure if I'd go as an attendee or as an exhibitor. Guess it all depends on the risk/reward ratio, the type of show being considered, whether we're competing with Dragon to sell exclusives ( I never did understand that concept :? ), luminaries, etc. The timeframe looks good though and alot of particulars would need to be discussed beforehand for us to get a booth.

At least its on the east coast, and gives alot of would-be attendees the chance to show up without having to book flights, pony up for hotels, etc.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: DX 08

Post by WGP Klaus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:18 am

lightning2000 wrote:Hi,
Interesting. I guess there are multiple IPMS shows throughout the year.

Not sure if I'd go as an attendee or as an exhibitor. Guess it all depends on the risk/reward ratio, the type of show being considered, whether we're competing with Dragon to sell exclusives ( I never did understand that concept :? ), luminaries, etc. The timeframe looks good though and alot of particulars would need to be discussed beforehand for us to get a booth.

At least its on the east coast, and gives alot of would-be attendees the chance to show up without having to book flights, pony up for hotels, etc.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
These are the "Nats" though held once a year, so it's not your run of the mill IPMS local chapter supported show, and folks from around the world show up to display their hard work. Well worth attending as I've noticed more and more diecast/1:18/1:32/1:72 display pieces at local shows and I know a couple of dealers that attend the Nats that actually stock a fair amount of said items, and plastic modellers go crazy for this stuff! You should consider it, as it's soo close and you stand to make some pretty decent $$$ as folks come to these shows with cash in hand! :-)

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Shows

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:00 am

Hi,
Thanks for the info and insight. We typically only go to one show a year. For us, it becomes a logistical nightmare trying to attend more plus it takes us away from our core business. I know guys that go to nearly every show on the eastern seaboard, but then again, they dont have a website or feel that its easier to do business on the road than over the net.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:02 am

WGP Klaus wrote:I've noticed more and more diecast/1:18/1:32/1:72 display pieces at local shows and I know a couple of dealers that attend the Nats that actually stock a fair amount of said items, and plastic modellers go crazy for this stuff!
I agree with what you said except that plastic modelers go crazy for diecast stuff. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Just go to the Missing Lynx Braille Scale forums to see this.

They're the reason that Dragon Armor doesn't have diecast hulls anymore, because they complained so much when they were used in plastic kits which is where Dragon Armor comes from.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:10 am

Tshintl wrote:
WGP Klaus wrote:I've noticed more and more diecast/1:18/1:32/1:72 display pieces at local shows and I know a couple of dealers that attend the Nats that actually stock a fair amount of said items, and plastic modellers go crazy for this stuff!
I agree with what you said except that plastic modelers go crazy for diecast stuff. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Just go to the Missing Lynx Braille Scale forums to see this.

They're the reason that Dragon Armor doesn't have diecast hulls anymore, because they complained so much when they were used in plastic kits which is where Dragon Armor comes from.
I agree to an extent, and should have clerified which group I was referring to when I made that comment. I was talking about the non rivet counter types, folks who build for fun, and don't worry about being 100% accurate down to the correct bezel on an instrument panel, or the correct amount of rivets on a Mig15..lol nothing wrong with those folks, just stating that they weren't the group of modellers I was referring to.