21st jagdpanther w/russians

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

21st jagdpanther w/russians

Post by Sniper73 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:20 pm

I was very surprised and very excited when I saw that finally, a couple WW2 Russians have finally been made in 1/32 scale. As I am not a very talented painter, I have avoided the unpainted 1/32 airfix and other brand russians, and the stalingrad and upcoming fall of berlin soldiers are out of my price range for any even moderate quantity.

My question is, why would you put 2 russian soldiers with a german tank killer. I realize they fit with the russian front tank (i believe its russian front paint scheme) but wouldnt it make more sense to put them on a t 34 or other type of Russian vehicle, or even better, a figure set??

On top of that, as I'm sure most of you would agree, the FOV jagdpanther is a better model, which at least for guys such as myself who either dont have the time or skill to make really good customs, makes getting the 21st version over the FOV a bit silly. I'll be getting one 21st, because I need to have the Russians as the Eastern Front is my thing and I've been waiting ever since I started collecting XD before I made the switch to 1/32 for Russian stuff. I just wish I didn't need to buy a 21 dollar tank to get 2 soldiers. I wonder if 21st would sell me a bag of them?

This isn't meant to rip on 21st though, I mean, the new 88mm is great and I'll get a few of those and the molds for the soldiers really look great. I just wish it was a little easier to get a hold of these new, unique soldiers.

Anyway, anyone relate to where I'm coming from?

Bill (Sniper73)

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

I feel your pain...and share your puzzlement!

Post by c44 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:03 pm

This is possibly the most peculiar offering 21CT has made since the Frankensteined limb-swapped all-captain American infantry series (was that series 3? I just don't remember)...however, I'm just so glad to have the Russkies that I'll take 'em where I can get 'em...but indeed, you're right, there should be an outlet to get loose figs as well as spare parts, accessories, etc. 21CT, hear our plea...
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:35 am

Sniper73,

I believe that the 21st Jagdpanther is from the Panzer Lehr division around October 1944. They came back from Hungary to deal with the Normany invasion and then fought around Caen and then to the Ruhr.

I too would like to see some Russian troop sets made and throw in a Russian troop truck, a T-34, and an SU-85 and I'd be a happy man!!

And some Japanese too...

C2000
Attack!!!!

Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

correction

Post by Sniper73 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks for the correction/clarification...although it doesnt help the case of why russians would be with it all that much!! lol

Bill

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:07 pm

From what I have seen on the posted photos, the russian figures look decent. How many guys with the same pose can you use though? I have some Airfix Russians with PPsh`s and their version of semi auto rifle. I have some other figures that may be Marx(?) that have M44 or M38 carbines and Markov pistols. They will be my Russian troops when I get around to painting them. It would be interesting to see 21st come out with more poses than what they have with the Jagdpanther. It is truly an odd combination. Even the Jagdpanther has a combination of details that seem somewhat odd. I would like to see the source for their model I am glad to see they modeled the late version gun. It just looks better.

TJ

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:00 pm

In the other post on a wish list this is the same thing I wondered about 21st centurty? Why? Why two Russians? For what?

A kid who buys the tank wont care but collectors will. Am I to have a war with my 25 panzers attacking the two russians? What are you thinking 21st? While the M113 is Nice what the hell goes with it? A whole new line of four items? Your nutts!

21st is my favorite by far but they make some silly decisions. They are my favorite because they make toys. If you want perfection then build one. FOV may be more accurate but they are also $10-$15.00 more. 21st century does not make historicaly accurate to every detail, but they make cool stuff at a great price. Hell their full on Play set cost the same as one king and country figure set!

In my opinion 21st century toys could have and could still kill their competition. Their price structure is better and their products are great. If they simply concentrated in the right area the other companies would dissapear. Four or five more US normandie campagin/ europe throw in four or five figure sets and its over. You want US WWII toys you would buy 21st century. Same would be true with the German stuff, and then they should move on to Russia. Do a proper Russian line repaint your German line and bam! Done. Dont jump into Vietnam until WWII is complete, dont let FOV mow your lawn while your building an M113?

Two Russians? While I agree its crazy it is 21st century toys! No doubt about that!

You have to have a FOV T34 and Arifix infantry painted along with two 21st century russians? No thanks! 21st gets its act together and could own the market. Why buy Arifix if you could get 18 poses from 21st century? Why pay $1600 for the K&C battle for Berlin Russian army when you could do twice the size at a third the cost 21st century style? They are sitting in the drivers seat but its things like these two russians that makes me think they can be drunk behind the wheel! :wink:

Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

agreed

Post by Sniper73 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:20 pm

My sentiments exactly, it just doesnt make sense how they are going about things. Because the sculpts look like high quality ones, I would hypothectically ask for a bag of maybe 10 a piece if I could. I've experimented with heating and bending so maybe I could get a couple extra poses out of that. Barring my hitting the lottery for the new Berlin pieces coming out, I'm going to have to just deal and learn how to paint though

Bill

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:03 pm

I too question the logic behind some of the 21st releases - then again, however mismatched, the M113 is one of their nicest 32x vehicles! I guess if one takes some of the US WWII troops and repaints them, they won't look that far off from a Viet Nam era soldier, at least a first glance.

Darrell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Darrell » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:58 pm

I don't mind about getting a couple russians, that is one of the things that many of us. We have a lot of germans and US, some Brits, so its nice to have some good guys for the FOV T34/85. I hope the two guys are just the start of some russian troops.
Darre,,

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:03 am

My observations are not complaints about authenticity or 21st logic really. I am just curious as to how they arrive at the final product. I have tons of Airfix guys from when I was a kid. British, Russian, and Germans of many varieties. The Russian Marx guys were from a garage sale. The idea of reposing the figues is a interesting concept. Just considering the the number of guys one will need to fill out the 88mm gun crew(5 or 6 more) in addition to the men supplied by 21st, it would be a novel way of doing it. I have a set of Tamiya guys with my Minichamps 88. I picked them up on ebay for .99 cents. It would be nice if 21st did all these figures but they seem to like to tease us with a couple well done figures. The soft hatted fellow is especially cool. Like Darrel says, it may be just the beginning. As far a VietNam era figs, how about those cheapie soldiers we all had as kids. I think they were put out by the same company that made the soft plastic M34 truck(Timmee Toys?). I think they are the same figures shown in the movie "Toy Story". They are for the most part armed with M16s, they have the fabric helmet covers and they are dressed in BDU style uniforms. They would probably look good storming out of the M113, but you would have to do a little paint work on them too...

TJ