Contest?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Contest?

Post by Col.Pickle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:42 pm

I think it would be really cool to have a 1/32 or 1/35 contest. Now I'd like to maybe organize it but I also want to enter it and I don't think I can do both. :roll: So... I was wonderring if any of you would be into this? Maybe bewtween us we could put together some nifty lil prize. Any one willing to help out/organize this with me?
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Name that Pickle?

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:24 am

Hello Colonel,
What did you have in mind? We'd be interested in sponsoring it.

Cordially,

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 am

If you sponsor it, I'll enter it. :D

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:43 am

How about " best use of stock 1/32 or 1/72 models in a diorama".
No custom paint or markings or models.
Just stock models arranged and photographed. Scenic elements, such as walls, rubble, vegetation etc would be acceptable.
Geoff

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:05 pm

so are you saying that we see who could make their vehicles look the best? Because if so that could work. I was thinking of making a diorama that has to follow a theme. For example the 1/18th people have a contest where you have to display a type of artillery. Our theme could be a D-day diorama or something medical related. Still don't know yet we will have to get more people on board first. Nice to see that you guys have taken interest in it though
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Contest

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi,
Come up with something original where quite a number of people can enter and we'll sponsor it with something of commensurate value. I would recommend following a theme and singular scale, so people arent of doing all sorts of things in all sorts of scales. Be hard to compare apples to apples if you have one guy building a dio in 1:32 scale and another in 1:72.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:03 pm

Normandy would be good, so long as it could include more than just beach dioramas.
Or the bulge. Or North Africa. That might be cool!
Lots of stuff available for all those sites.
I would vote for 1/32 scale if I had to choose.
But since we have some skilled modellers here as well as some members who only collect, that to keep it fair, the vehicles and figures should be stock retail pieces, not customized models or pieces built from scratch. Just my opinion.
What does everyone else think?
Geoff

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm sure there are more larger scale guys here than smaller scale guys. Maybe there should be a larger (1/32) and smaller scale (1/72) contest so no one is left out.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:45 pm

just my opinion here but I think that since there is more 1/32 (correct me if I'm wrong :roll: ) collectors than 1/72 I think that maybe the 1/32 contest would be larger and maybe we could also have a smaller prize/contest for 1/72. Also I sort of agree with Blurx7 about modelling. However are you saying not to have any stuff you yourself made? I think that scratchbuilt diorama things and maybe figures would be okay. you know like scenery and stuff as 21st century doesn't really make any dioramic things :? Also thanks alot Lightning 2000 for possibly sponsoring us!
- General Patton

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:09 pm

A diorama contest sounds like a good idea. One solution might be simply to have categories: say 1:35-1:32 scales; 1:50-1:48 scales; and 1:72-1:144 scales. That way, all collectors can be covered. I would love to submit an entry for a dio contest in the 1:32 scale range :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:41 pm

1:50-1:48th scales? What companys make products in that scale tman? Anyway yes I think thats what we will have to do. But I it would be better for there to be only two divisons 1:32-1:50 and 1/72-1/144 (IMO). How many people would there need to be for you to spnsor lightning2000? It looks like we have at least 5 right here. I think 8 or even 13 would be an optimal number of contestants.
- General Patton

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Col.Pickle wrote:... I sort of agree with Blurx7 about modelling. However are you saying not to have any stuff you yourself made? I think that scratchbuilt diorama things and maybe figures would be okay. you know like scenery and stuff as 21st century doesn't really make any dioramic things :? Also thanks alot Lightning 2000 for possibly sponsoring us!
I just meant not to include tanks or figures that have been "done-up". Scenic pieces I would think would have to be custom as the market isnt that large for that stuff unless you don't mind dropping a lot of money.
But, hey... I'm just one person. :D
If everyone else wants custom stuff that's how it ought to be. :)
Geoff

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Col.Pickle wrote:1:50-1:48th scales? What companys make products in that scale tman? Anyway yes I think thats what we will have to do. But I it would be better for there to be only two divisons 1:32-1:50 and 1/72-1/144 (IMO). How many people would there need to be for you to spnsor lightning2000? It looks like we have at least 5 right here. I think 8 or even 13 would be an optimal number of contestants.
Corgi tanks (and figures) are at 1:50 and I think the Solido ones are the same. There's the 21c tanks in 1:48, the Hobbymaster tanks in 1:48, plus a bunch of prebuilt aircraft by 21c, Franklin Mint, Yat Ming and others. Plus, model companies like Tamiya, Revell, and others make vehicles, aircraft and figures in the same scale.

I do like your two scale categories, however, and think that could be a way to go :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:24 pm

oooh ok thanks tman. :D and is everyoen else okay with those two scale catergories?
- General Patton

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Contests

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi,
I'm in a very good mood (just thinking about our upcoming vacation has me grinning from ear-to-ear). That said, it might be a good idea to have separate contests for small, mid-sized, and larger format stuff, so even the 1:18 scale guys could participate. I think it would be nice to have at least 10, possibly 12 entrants in each category, and we'd come up with a retail dollar value for each category winner so that no one would feel as if they came up with the short end of the stick. We could even offer a grand prize, say the new Unimax 1:16 scale Tiger I due out in October.

So, to sum up, possibly one category for 1:144-1:72 scale collectors, one for mid size stuff (1:50 - 1:35 scale), and one for larger stuff (1:18-1:16 scale). We could offer say a $100 retail prize for each category, and the grand prize winner would get the MW 1:16 scale Tiger or say one free 1:72 scale tanks for a year. Just kicking around some ideas.

I'll let you guys decide the actual format of customization or diorama and we'd have to agree on a judging process.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:40 pm

those sound like good ideas. Where are you going on vacation? Also don't the 1/18 guys already have a contest going? I thought it was on something to do with artillery...Woah i just realize I've posted 6 times in this topic today.
- General Patton

conteaddict
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by conteaddict » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:33 pm

1 question can your tanks have camo netting and foliage on them? just wondering if that counts as a customization
KANE LIVES
Good Traders: Cabe, Bandit

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:39 pm

no I don't think so. What I think is meant is that no things like differemt paint schemes, added weapons etc.
- General Patton

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:38 pm

count me in,i prefer 1/32 and custom painting but will go with whatever is desided on. :P

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:40 am

May I suggest we settle on a committee of three volunteers willing to refrain from taking part in the contest , who can act as judges. They could work out the exact time frame and rules and then formalize the whole thing with an announcement to kick it off.
I might further suggest that, as he has so graciously agreed to provide the prizes ( and a huge "thanks" for that!), that one "judge-slot" be offered to Lightning.
What do you think?
Geoff

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 am

blurx7 wrote:May I suggest we settle on a committee of three volunteers willing to refrain from taking part in the contest , who can act as judges. They could work out the exact time frame and rules and then formalize the whole thing with an announcement to kick it off.
I might further suggest that, as he has so graciously agreed to provide the prizes ( and a huge "thanks" for that!), that one "judge-slot" be offered to Lightning.
What do you think?
I definitely agree that as a sponsor, Lightning2000 should also serve as a judge. If they don't wish to enter the contest, other recommendations for judges include Aferguson and Teamski.

As far as the idea of three scale ranges, that sounds like a fair solution. One thing I do believe needs to be taken into account is the that as the scale get smaller, the range of existing vehicles and elements seems to grow (although so does some of the complexity in creating diorama materials--I am trying to envision how someone would create 1/144 camo netting, for example!). Likewise, a realistic "scene" in 1/18 requires a much larger area, and may require reducing the scope of the diorama from a large scene to a snapshot for many. Just some thoughts to keep in mind while trying to judge across such a wide range of scales.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:27 am

Yes obviously lightning gets first dibs on judging spot. (Thanks again) But who should be the other judges? I'd really like to continue organizing this and judging but I cannnot as I'd also like to enter.

P.S. Are we having a 1/18th contest or is it just for small scale guys this time?
- General Patton

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:19 pm

I would make lightening the judge, give at least a few months for everybody to gather their diorama stuff and learn how to post pictures, and lastly Have three categories 1/18th,132nd and 1/72nd scales.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Same here, I would enter if it were a 1/32 contest, but 1/48-1/50 sounds ok. Count me in
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

Coreyeagle48

A couple of ideas

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 pm

Greetings:

Just a couple of ideas/thoughts on this.

I do not think we should limit the eras in which the dioramas are built in. For example, some people only collect Pacific, some people only collect European theater things. Some people only collect modern. I feel if this contest would be limited to a specific era, piece, etc, we lose a lot of particpation where in reality we want all the constestants we can.

Could a sponsor possibly provide something small for everyone who enters. That way at least people who took the time to enter get something out of it. The larger prizes could go of course to the winners.

Customizing the models. I think this is going to be a very GRAY area in the contest. No doubt there are people who would enter the contest that have already made modifications to their pieces. Is this fair to them? I am not sure. I think this needs to be discussed into more detail before any contest is annouced. Personally, I think repainting would be ok perhaps (like if you need a pacific or african theater piece) but scratchbuilding (except in the diorama itself) should be banned. I don't know, as I said, gray area. I can see some confusion and problems developing over this.

Also, if someone builds a very large diorama with several things in it, what counts as the judged piece. What if the diorama includes several pieces and they are all well done? I am just asking here.

If anyone would like any help in terms of judging or whatever, I would help if you would want me as I have no plans to enter. Let me know.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube