Are 1/32 airplanes getting better?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Are 1/32 airplanes getting better?

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:33 pm

What do all of you feel: Are the 1/32 airplane offerings getting better and starting to rival or exceed the 1/18 cousins? Just getting into 1/32 limits my frame of reference. What is your opinion? Thanks for any/all input!

dV

(I kind of get the feeling that there is a slight shift toward emphasis on new 1/32 rather than 1/18, or at least a leveling out of offerings...hummm)
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:06 pm

I would say getting better. There are some nice options out there with more on the way. 1/18 has alot but I imagine 1/32 may indeed overshadow in the near future. Just my thoughts though.....

-H

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:38 pm

I think 1:32 will grow also faster then the 1:18 did.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Kind of what I was thinking....I'll also say that the twin engine dreams we have all had, albeit different airplanes, would more than likely show up in 1/32 vs. 1/18 for MANY reasons. Drool.....
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:48 pm

I will only but 1:32 aircraft only if the quality and detail is equal to that of models made by experienced modelers.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:19 am

Overall, I think 1/32nd will do better than 1/18th if only because they look great, but are cheaper and smaller. I am out of room for 1/18th scale stuff....almost. :wink:

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 am

VMF115 wrote:I will only but 1:32 aircraft only if the quality and detail is equal to that of models made by experienced modelers.
Not for $14.99!!!
The 1/32 stuff has made major strides in quality/details since they first came out, and it only has room to get better.. But looking for "model quality" in a mass-produced toy is probably asking too much.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:11 pm

1:32 is deffinitely getting better! Just look at the older 32x planes (P-51, Bf-109E, ME-262) and compare them to the most recent (Stuka, Corsair, Bf-109F/G) and you will notice a marked difference in detail and quality. The same three most recent planes also tend to be more accurate than even the 1:18 versions. The Stuka and Corsair are a case in point 8)

I am also beginning to think that it has the better sales potential. 1:32 aircraft usually tend to sell much faster than even their 1:18 equilivants in my area.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Not for $14.99!!!
The 1/32 stuff has made major strides in quality/details since they first came out, and it only has room to get better.. But looking for "model quality" in a mass-produced toy is probably asking too much..
I agree, I mean there is only so much detail they can offer and still keep the price within reasonable limits. When you consider that people who hand build models (like many of us used to) can take weeks or even months to complete a project, and the cost of enhancements like photo etched detail parts, decal sets, and so on can easily exceed the cost of the kit itself, several times over in some cases. Trust me, I've been down this road, the detail on these 32X birds is quite good all things considered, and the paintjobs rival some of the best custom made models out there in my opinion, not bad for $14.99, and as Harry said, getting better all the time. :D
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:38 pm

hworth18 wrote:
VMF115 wrote:I will only but 1:32 aircraft only if the quality and detail is equal to that of models made by experienced modelers.
Not for $14.99!!!
The 1/32 stuff has made major strides in quality/details since they first came out, and it only has room to get better.. But looking for "model quality" in a mass-produced toy is probably asking too much.. :wink:
How about a 1:32 highly detailed a/c that sells for around 30. US dollars

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Yes, it's called Forces Of Valor. Now, I suppose it depends on what you call "highly detailed", but even the "action grade" FOV aircraft are considerably more detailed than their 21C cousins, on the other hand they cost more than twice as much, so to a certain extent you get what you pay for.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:41 pm

ostketten wrote:
Yes, it's called Forces Of Valor. Now, I suppose it depends on what you call "highly detailed", but even the "action grade" FOV aircraft are considerably more detailed than their 21C cousins, on the other hand they cost more than twice as much, so to a certain extent you get what you pay for.
I have seen them, and I am not to impressed with FOV.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:19 pm

VMF115 wrote:How about a 1:32 highly detailed a/c that sells for around 30. US dollars
Not happening.. And not to disagree with Ostketten, but FOV 1/32 are probably some of the worst large scale aircraft built... The accuracy is horrible and the liveries aren't the best.. Now, in saying this, I hope that FOV has improved its 1/32 line w/ the Aircobra that is coming soon.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Well let me see, where do I start? the rivets on the 21C P-51 are the size of 1/32nd scale oyster shells, I mean they are HUGE, it's like the plane has a terminal case of acne or something, FOV's are much smaller and more realistic size wise. The FOV P-51 has a detailed engine compartment with a removable cowling, 21C?...Um, no. The FOV bird has a full ordnance load AND fuel tanks, and the 21C has...well... two fuel tanks and that's all. The FOV mustang has moving control surfaces, and the 21C version? well...um..nope... sorry. Accuracy?? well the FOV Stang has real dihedral on the wings, and the 21C has NO dihedral, I mean they stick straight out from the fuselage, not that accurate in my book. The FOV has a nicely detailed pilot figure, actually TWO figures, one in the cockpit and one standing, and the 21C has well... a standard 32X type figure, and we all know how great 21C's 32X figures are :roll: not going to win any awards here. And this is the action grade FOV plane I'm talking about here, not even their top of the line. Hey Harry, reasonable people can disagree, but for my money the 21C plane is pretty crude by comparison and the FOV wins hands down. I still like the 21C birds, to me they represent a great value for what you get, but they are not in the same league as the FOV planes and it shows.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:26 pm

Scott,
I never said the 21st plane was any good, I just really don't care for the FOV ones.. I have had both and I got rid of them quickly.. (My personal opinion, nothing more. nothing less).. :wink:
If you want a good 1/32 Mustang, I recommend Corgi's version, but you'll pay $100 for it.. Or, if 1/35 is close enough for you, you can't go wrong with GMPs version, the best on the market, and it'll set you back $125-150 easy.. 8)
-Howard Stark

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Scott,
I never said the 21st plane was any good, I just really don't care for the FOV ones.. I have had both and I got rid of them quickly.. (My personal opinion, nothing more. nothing less).. Wink
If you want a good 1/32 Mustang, I recommend Corgi's version, but you'll pay $100 for it.. Or, if 1/35 is close enough for you, you can't go wrong with GMPs version, the best on the market, and it'll set you back $125-150 easy..
Hey Harry, no problem... I really can't comment on Corgi or GMP, never owned one, but I'll take your word for it. If you put a 32X plane from 21st next to an FOV 1/32 plane the differences are quite noticeable, glaring even, but it all boils down to what people find appealing and acceptable, as the saying goes... one mans trash is anothers treasure. I collect both aircraft and armor (primarily armor) and to me FOV has always had the edge on 21C with regard to detail, weathering, and in some cases accuracy. To give you an example, many of the FOV tanks have working suspensions, when was the last time you saw that on a 21C tank??

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:21 pm

I agree that Fov will win against 21C 90% of the time...if not all the time. I'll refrain from reasons as Ostketten pretty much named them all.

However the best seems to be:

GMP @ $125
Corgi @ $100
FoV @ $35
21C @ $20

In that order. We can debate how Corgi is better than FoV...but at 3 times the cost it damn well better be. :D
So you have to ask, do you want one really nice plane or a couple good ones. It's all in what you like, how much you spend, and what each company offers. Example: If you want a 1/32 Mosquito..you have few options and better be ok with shelling out $150.

-H (I like FoV, The best Quality vs. Cost for me)

digger

32x birds

Post by digger » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:48 pm

I agree FOVs armor tops 21C in 1/32 (I am a sucker for weathered looks, which are rare from all except fov in this scale) but I don't think you can even compare 1:32 AC, if only because FOV's lineup is so small. The 21C Mustang is an old mold, and they don't have a Spit. But for a 109E, 190, 262, Stuka, Zero, Macchi, P-47, P-40, Corsair, etc...you have 21C alone at the moment unless you want to pay out the __. Over time I'm sure others will offer some options but if I had to start a small scale collection from scratch, and had $100, I would buy 5-6 of the newer 32x birds...
p51 wrote: Image

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Man, love those photos. I collect both a/c and armor but more armor and think that FOV looks better/is built better than 21st C, but I prefer 21C for the price. Still look great and I can get 2 21st instead of one FOV, and 21C has more variety. I buy both when I can....but I have champagne taste on a beer salary. I try to buy all 21C but am fairly selective with FOV due to price. :wink: