Why do you collect the scale(s) you do?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Why do you collect the scale(s) you do?

Post by aferguson » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:00 pm

Going to ask this question on both forums. Interested to see what makes collectors tick..
Last edited by aferguson on Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:29 pm

I collect 1:72 scale tanks because I used to wargame in that scale and currently build models in that scale so collecting 1:72 scale diecast tanks almost goes hand in hand.

I'm also partial to 1:72 because as a kid I had hundreds and hundreds of small plastic figures from companies like ESCI and Airfix.

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:35 pm

I collect 1/32 scale for the detail and because of the wide variety offered. Plus, they don't take up nearly as much space as 1/18 or larger.
Going to ask this question on both boards.
What's the other board???

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

none

Post by digger » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:44 pm

He meant other forum.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:18 pm

I'm not really sure of how I got into the 1:32 and smaller scales like I am 1:18th. My first 1:32 military pieces were some of the S1 32x tanks that I found at TRU. I initially held back from them, but then gave in due to the detail. (I've always been a sucker for detailed, accurate pieces). I already had a sizeable collection of the old Galoob Micromachines, Star Wars Action Fleet and Battlesquads from when I was younger, so perhaps my interest in the smaller scales stemed from that previous collecting habit. The interesting variety of armor pieces and aircraft also plays a part in my collecting of 1:32 and smaller military pieces. I also agree with the above post, the 1:32 & 1:72 pieces do take up alot less display space!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:43 pm

For me 1/32 is a good for scale, price, detail, and size. I always felt 1/18 were a little big. Well, that me.......

-H

Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Philip » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:33 pm

Mainly 1/72. Got hooked with the CDC Armour. I also like the 1/144 Dragon tanks, as well as their 1/72 tanks. Price, detail, and shelf space are factors. I do have a few FOV 1/32 tanks, and some 21st Century, but the vast majority of my collection is 1/72.

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:37 am

I like the 1/32 pieces because of their size - they're just easier to store. I use them for wargaming as well. I like and have all different scales. 1/72 was the beginning for me. Airfix, Atlantic, etc. With 21st, I did start with their XD stuff. That started taking up some valued space. When the 32X stuff came out, well, you know. 8)

C2000
Attack!!!!

hawkonevoodoo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by hawkonevoodoo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:14 am

I started out in 1/32 but after 25 pieces I realized I was running out of display space rapidly. Just then Dragon came along in 1/72 and they provided the quality and detail I wanted but in a smaller scale. I can display 4 - 5 1/72 vehicles in the same space I could put 1 1/32.
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:11 pm

1:32 for me! I guess its because its the traditional size of toy soldiers. When I was a kid I grew up on the Marx playsets, Navarone, Iwo, Battle Ground etc. So one day I am at TRU and I see this really cool Tiger Tank!

I said to my wife that I would have killed for a tank like this when I was a kid. She said you should buy it. So I did, and have been buying ever since.

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:37 am

I got into 1:18 because I was running out of space for my 1/6 action figure collection, and there SEEMED to be alot more vehicles coming out for modern 1:18 than for modern 1/6.

I'm still running out of space, so I moved down from 1:18 to 1:72, and have started getting rid of a significant part of my 1:18 collection.

Plus, I've been disappointed in the slow pace of new 1:18 items for the modern (i.e. post-WWII) line. At least with 1:72, I can build kits to fill the voids, my A/C and armor are in the same scale, and I'm also impressed with some of the new lines (Trumpeter, FOV, Gaincorp, etc). i just wish someone would do 1/72 helos in a wider variety...

OzDigger
Corporal
Corporal

Post by OzDigger » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:28 am

I have had just about every scale of diecast military available. And when you check the detail and value for money across the board it's hard to go past 1/72 scale.

Another plus is that several other diecast model company's have noted Dragon's success in this scale and are after a bigger piece of the action.

FOV have had mixed success in 1/72 but they have shown by their new 1/32 88mm that they can deliver the goods eventually. I was looking forward to the FOV 1/72 figure sets but admit they could have been better. Let's hope they improve them - soon.

Dragon have made some excellent 1/72 figures as seen in their Landing Craft diorama and I feel they are the benchmark that FOV etc needs to aim for.

Admiral and others have also jumped on board the 1/72 express and it all sounds good for us collectors in the future.

The increasing availability of 1/72 diecast armor together with the long established diecast aircraft makers such as Corgi and Dragon means I'll be short of cash for some time to come :)

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:05 am

I "hang out" at several other WWII military boards, and they all have modelling forums in one form or other, and one recently had a thread similar to this, funny thing is none of the scales we hold dear to our hearts here was even mentioned, it's as if they simply don't exist!! Now granted, they are concerned primarily with kit building, but I can't imagine that they are not aware that high quality pre-made models are available and are a popular and growing segment of the "modelling" hobby at large. At one time I had posted a pic of a 32X model in a diorama, and it was if I had committed a sacrilege, that I had the gall to suggest that this was "modelling", hey I've done my share of kitbuilding over the years, but I just don't have the time for that kind of activity at this stage of my life, and I don't understand the attitude of these guys. :roll: :roll:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Pre-Built Vehicles

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:57 am

Hi,
I guess you could make the comparison between the pre-built segment of the industry vis a vis modelmakers with artistry and paint by number sets. There's a certain talent that goes along with building a replica from a kit that looks down upon people that purchase one already built and already painted up. The same holds true for learning how to paint with oils on a canvas vs. someone who goes out and purchases a paint by number set. I can understand the disdain even though I sometimes wonder why people feel the need to put down the pre-built segment of the industry, as if the end-user is taking short cuts to arrive at the same end point.

Personally, I havent built a kit in around 30 years and dont intend to anytime soon. I dont have the time, the energy, the dexterity or the eyesight to sit there for hours only to put together something that looks like it was built by a blind adolescent. That, coupled with the fact that you can purchase something on the cheap thats just as good as a model (and perhaps more durable should some harm come to it) leads me to believe that this segment of the marketplace will continue to expand while the model making sector remains stagnant or even shrinks.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

digger

kits

Post by digger » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:21 am

I dont have the time, the energy, the dexterity or the eyesight to sit there for hours only to put together something that looks like it was built by a blind adolescent. That, coupled with the fact that you can purchase something on the cheap thats just as good as a model (and perhaps more durable should some harm come to it) leads me to believe that this segment of the marketplace will continue to expand while the model making sector remains stagnant or even shrinks.
Agreed, and that's why I think a lot of the disdain is bitterness and even shame. I understand the skill involved in kits and would never allege to have it. But it obviously peaves people that you can now add to your collection an amazing piece of prebuilt armor or AC with pro paint jobs for relative peanuts, basically gathering with ease what used to take years of sweat and tears. That and you can touch them! Kit builders should take solice in the fact that as display pieces go we still have nothing on the high-end kits, with all the nifty details and extras. Also, still nothing beats hand weathering and TLC when it comes to paint. But overall, it is pride that gets in the way of many kit-builder's appreciation for what we have imo. :wink:

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:29 am

1:18 pretty much gave me the best of both worlds by essentially merging two of my main hobby interests. Star Wars and WWII. So it was a no brainer for me.

1:32 gives me more options for a larger battle setup and with the lower price point it helps me not freak out :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: when the junior troopers around the house want to get involved. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

AS90
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AS90 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:50 am

I used to build models scale 1:35 (still have a lot of boxes to build) see my signature (Dutch army models 1:35)
Lack of time, patience and space :wink: forced me in buying diecast models scale 1:72.
Especially FOV has my interest, I also like Easy model because they have some unique models like the British AS90 and JS-III.
[b8a]
[size=98a]Member of the Dutch Armour Association [url=http://www.twenot-forums.nl](TWENOT)[/url][/size8a][/b8a]

[img8a]http://www.xs4all.nl/~ddehue/Avatars/dutcharmor.jpg[/img8a]

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:57 am

I mainly collect 1/72 diecast WWII warbirds, with 1/32 coming in second and 1/48, 1/18 A/C here and there.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:37 pm

But it obviously peaves people that you can now add to your collection an amazing piece of prebuilt armor or AC with pro paint jobs for relative peanuts, basically gathering with ease what used to take years of sweat and tears.
Yep Digger, I think you hit the nail on the head. Believe me, I can well appreciate the toil and skill it takes to create a kit built masterpiece, but I simply do not have the time or energy for that kind of endeavor any more, and that coupled with the quality and price of the pre-built models made it pretty much a foregone conclusion for me. This is in no way a slap at the guys who spend their time painstakingly hand making their models, but I just wish they could appreciate that some of us just don't have the time for that sort of thing.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"