Ships anybody?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Avalon Hill/Wizards of the Coast has announced a WWII Naval miniatures game. They also have a miniature game called Axis & Allies Minis and the newest set called D-Day has Higgins boats and Amtracks. Beware though, they are both collectible games.

C2000
Attack!!!!

oberstengel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ships anybody?

Post by oberstengel » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:46 pm

I for one would love to see ship collectables. I would prefer a sub or destroyer between 24'-30".
I think there is a future here. Fujimi just released a pre finished USS Virginia SSN 774 in 1/350 scale. It sells for $150, but the Hobby Link Japan website has it already sold out.
oberstengel

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Ships?

Post by lightning2000 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi All,
I have to each your sentiment. A line of 1:350-1:700 scale ships, measuring know more than 12 inches would do well. There was a company at Toy Fair thinking about getting into this sector (no names please) but thus far havent announced anything.

WWII would undoubtedly sell the best, followed by modern era ships, future combatants and finally WWI. I also think Waterline ships would probably do better than full mockups like the ones produced by Gearbox. Package 'em up nicely and you'd have a winner. The ability to see cross sections of important compartments would be a plus, but I doubt it would be a deal breaker.

I could see someone coming out with a Battle of Midway or Sink the Bismarck set, where you could collect each important ship as they get launched...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:28 pm

There's already a couple of Japanese companies doing 1/700 scale subs and small ships (DDs, Minesweepers, Fast Attack Craft).

They sell them like baseball cards - same box on the outside for a given set, so you have to buy multiples to get a full set.

I've been buying 'em off Evil Bay.

I would love to see a US company try the market...

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Gunner

Post by lightning2000 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi Gunner,
I'm not sure the baseball card marketing approach would do well in North America. I think people want to know what they're getting and when, and leave the guesswork to someone else. Just talking as a collector, not necessarily a dealer. I could see the first seven ships in the series: Kaga, Akagi, Soryu and Hiryu for the Japanese and Enterprise, Yorktown and Hornet for the US (at least I think that was the lineup without checking any sources).

The key would be quality. Not looking for Franklin Mint top-tier stuff in the several hundred dollar range but products that could sell for no more than $50 yet still be impressive.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:56 pm

The baseball card approach WON'T work here, I agree.

But, I think this approach shows there is a market for 1/700 scale pre-assembled ships.

(of course, there's one less of a market for certain ships, since I've been buying quite a few...)

Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Philip » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:36 pm

Check out Alnavco.com. They have ships which are hand made in Germany, Navis, Neptun, and are really nice. They are 1/1250 scale, and cost between $80.00 - $125.00. Smaller than mentioned above, but very well made.

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:00 am

Personally, I would love to see a 1/32nd (or 1/18th) Elco 80' PT Boat. These are very cool looking, and literally bristling with detail. Link here... http://www.ptboats.org/20-01-05-ptboat-005.html

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:48 am

I'd be happy to see a PT Boat that ISN'T PT-109.

-H

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:58 am

If you would like to consider 1:35, check out the link below. PT boats ect. I have been building 1:700 waterline series as of late. I have done three Essex class carriers, a few US destroyers and a number of Japanese cruisers. I have one of those huge 1:125 scale Fletcher class destoyers from Lindburgh to put together. That will be my next project....

TJ

http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.a ... &Submit=Go

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

check your market...

Post by binder001 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:25 pm

When you discuss "large" model ships, you need to be more specific about what scale and what kind of ship. Have a better look at the model ship field.

1/350 scale plastic model ships is a very growing area, with Trumpeter producing a USS Honet (CV8) with B25s. Many other ships are available or planned from them and Tamiya. There's a huge amount of 1/350th resin ship models - very pricey but very nice.

Lindberg has done a 1/32nd scale LCVP and PT boat. Both need TLC to make detailed models, but they ARE a start, and not usually too badly priced. Lindberg has done the Fletcher class DD and a minesweeper in 1/125th, and I think their LCT is in similar scale.

In "craftsman's kits" there are plans and accessories to allow building almost any USN ship from outfits like Floating Drydock, and others. The scale can range from 1/96th on down. A lot of work, but imagine your own 1/96th Cleveland-class CL on your desk!

In 1/35th there is the PBR as well as the upcoming Elco PT boat, plus 1/35th landing craft from Italeri, Dragon and Fondere Miniatures.

In 1/72nd there are the Flower-class corvette from Airfix, later from Revell/Germany, a U-Boat from Revell, plus a US Gato-class sub coming soon. There are nice aftermarket accessories and crewfigures to dress up the U-Boat, hopefully there will be the same for the Gato. The Revell PT boat is still very good despite its age and they did a Vosper MBT also, as well as a German S-boat ("E-Boat"). There are also several Allied landing craft represented in 1/72nd from several makers.

I remember seeing the naval architects' model of USS Missouri many years ago. It was 1/48th scale, fully detailed and totally stunning at about 10 feet in length.

By the way, "any PT boat but PT 109"? Most of these kits actually represent a standard 80-foot ELCO, the most common design (the 77-foot Higgins was second). There are lots of parts and accessories to upgrade these kits and to show the late-war "gunboat" armaments. A little effort will create a number of variations that aren't PT 109. Actually, most of the models are partly wrong. On the 109's last voyage, Kennedy had traded around for a 37mm AT gun that was lashed to the foredeck. Most models omit this cannon. The extra timbers were used as survival floats by part of the surviving crew.

Lots of big ships out there! Way too many to get built or to have display space for.

buzzard
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Ships anybody?

Post by buzzard » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 am

oberstengel wrote:I think there is a future here. Fujimi just released a pre finished USS Virginia SSN 774 in 1/350 scale. It sells for $150, but the Hobby Link Japan website has it already sold out.
oberstengel
http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ15171

Back in stock apparently. Was curious & decided to've a look-see.

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:39 pm

how about a 1/32 scale Bismark with full crew. Come on 21stC you can do it! Oh and some 1/32 scale British sword fish torpedo planes.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

1:32 Bismarck

Post by lightning2000 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi,
Ya think Walmart has an aisle big enough to accomodate a 1:32 scale rendition of the Bismarck? Knowing them, they'd probably stick it on the top shelf then get some poor stock boy to haul it down! :lol:

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net