DRAGON EXPO 2006 update

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

DRAGON EXPO 2006 update

Post by theToyFederation » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:49 pm

Exclusives announced for the show

Die-cast Armor
1/72 Tank TBA

Die-cast Warbirds
Fw190A-8 / R2 feat. Mr. Oscar Boesch's Plane

Me109 feat. Mr. Oscar Boesch's Plane

World Premiere at the show but will be available later on

DRAGON Armor
1/72 Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf.C (grey)

1/72 T-34/76 mod.43 German Army

Finally a friggin halftrack!
www.thetoyfederation.com
"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 am

Finally a friggin halftrack!
Amen Brother!

easy8
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

--General George Patton Jr.

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:38 am

I am excited about the 190 and 109..

I wonder if it will be this 190????

“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Expo Exclusives

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:47 am

Hi,
I'm more intrigued by the upcoming #60223, their new 1:72 scale armor available at the Show. Maybe we could run a contest to see who comes the closest to guessing its identity. Again, I'm guessing its Wittmann's StuG III. I'd be willing to kick in a free Minichamps tank for the winner of the contest, if the forum has no problem with that...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Expo Exclusives

Post by Tshintl » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:57 pm

lightning2000 wrote:Hi,
I'm more intrigued by the upcoming #60223, their new 1:72 scale armor available at the Show. Maybe we could run a contest to see who comes the closest to guessing its identity. Again, I'm guessing its Wittmann's StuG III. I'd be willing to kick in a free Minichamps tank for the winner of the contest, if the forum has no problem with that...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
www.themotorpool.net
Hey, sounds good to me. Well you were right about the Dragon Armor tank with factory background after all.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:58 am

Looking at the other Dragon Armor that starts with similar numbers to the Dragon Expo 06 Dragon Armor release, I think it will be a diorama. All the other product codes that are that high in the Dragon Armor range are diorama pieces so I think this one will be too.

60221.....diorama
60222.....diorama
60223.....????? (Dragon Expo 06 release)
60227.....diorama
60233.....diorama

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Tshintl

Post by lightning2000 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:33 am

Hi,
Maybe its Wittmann's StuG III firing at a T-34? :lol:

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

theToyFederation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by theToyFederation » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:08 pm

here is something for the useless info file. Aviation artist Robert Bailey did a painting called War Wolf depicting Oscar Boesch's 190 during the Battle of the Bulge.

A native of Austria, Oscar Boesch grew up in the mountains and was inspired by the eagles to fly. After learning to design, build and fly gliders as a teenager, his love of flying led him to join the Luftwaffe in August 1942. He then enjoyed a short but distinguished career as a combat pilot.

He volunteered to become a member of Sturm Staffel 1, a specially formed unit charged with destroying American daylight bombers. During his first mission on April 29, 1944, he almost died when he crash-landed and flipped his plane onto its back. On May 8, he was shot down while attacking a 40-plane B­24 formation, after downing one. During his 12 months as a combat flyer, there was a 350% pilot turnover rate in his Staffel. Boesch was himself wounded a few times, twice so severely that he was removed from flying duties. He had eight Focke Wulf 190's destroyed.

But it wasn't all in vain. It is estimated that the Staffel had been able to prevent 30,000 tons of Allied bombs from falling upon German soil. By war's end, Boesch had earned both the Iron Cross Second Class and First Class, and had downed eighteen enemy aircraft, including a Spitfire, a Mustang, six B­17's two B­24's, four IL­2's, two Lagg­5's, and two Yak­9's.

Boesch's operational flying ended in April 1945. On his last of 120 combat sorties, his FW­190 collided with a Yak­9 northeast of Berlin. He was captured by the Russians after parachuting to safety, but escaped and walked 1000 km back home to Austria.

In 1951 he emmigrated to Canada with his wife Editha and baby Roland, to build a future. Over fifty years after the war, Oscar Boesch still enjoys flying. He is an avid pilot, performing at airshows across the continent in his sailplane 'Wings of Man.' He has also performed in the IMAX movie, Silent Sky.

The Story
The lightning victories enjoyed by the Germans during the first years of World War II were due in large part to the Luftwaffe. But by the fall of 1944, they were retreating. All available resources were prepared for a last, desperate gamble. On December 16, 1944, Hitler launched a huge offensive in bad weather. Aircraft from both sides were unable to participate during the opening days of what was later to be called 'The Battle of the Bulge.'

With the return of good weather after Christmas, the ground battle reached its climax. At this point, Allied and German pilots were eager to lend support to the monumental clash of armies.

This gripping painting, WAR WOLF, puts us a few hundred feet above the treetops of the German/Belgian border at 11:15 AM on December 27. Eleven FW­190's of IV Gruppe, Jagdgeschwader 3 "Udet," led by Leutnant Glaubig, were flying over the Eifel at low level to avoid radar. Suddenly, ground control radioed a desperate message: "Achtung! Fifty-plus Indians in Ida Richard Five!" These American fighters were probably from the 352nd Fighter Group.

In the wild melee that followed, Feldwebel Oscar Boesch was too low to bail out if his aircraft was hit. He managed to shoot down one Mustang into the trees and escape with his life. However, six other pilots of IV Gruppe were not so lucky: Leutnant Glaubig, Unteroffizier Leuchtenberger, Unteroffizier Rusch, Leutnant Rennwanz, Gefreiter Stumpf, and Oberfahnrich Buechsenmann, were killed in the morning's action. The loss of so many experienced pilots was another blow from which the Luftwaffe could not recover. Five days later, on New Year's Day, over 150 German aircraft would be lost during attacks upon Allied airfields. After the 'Battle of the Bulge,' the Luftwaffe was only a shadow of its former self, but the pilots gave their best to the end.
www.thetoyfederation.com
"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."