Dragon Armor collectability

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Dragon Armor collectability

Post by Tshintl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Has the collectability of supposidly rare Dragon Armor dried up for the most part? I just sold some Dragon Armor on Ebay and some of the items didn't do that well.

DRR60146 sold for $42. I've sold them in the past and they went for over $60. An auction for the same tank sold a couple weeks ago on Ebay for over $160, but I think it was a shady auction and think the seller was up to something there. $160 for this tank is simply too high considering there were "buy it now" options for the same tank for half of that going on at the same time.

DRR60129 didn't sell at all for $40 and that price is the cost it would have been directly from Cyber Hobby with no mark up at all. Any less and I'd have lost money on it.

So are the prices going down now that these tanks have been around for a while? A Carius tank or DRR60001 tank might fetch a fair amount, but it seems most of the other limited editions or early releases have gone down in price from what they used to sell for.

If anyone wants DRR60129 for $40 plus shipping, let me know. I'm starting to think they are not worth getting any more considering the little interest in them lately.

DomiUK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DomiUK » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Even as a collector I have no interest in owning 12 differant King tigers, Jagdtigers etc.

Certain models I might want multiples in differant schemes but in general the cyber hobby "specials" do nothing for me at all.

A couple of the cyber hobbies I would have liked, mainly ones with extra figures like the tank rider ones.

If they had kept it simple and not done the cyber hobby thing I would undoubtedly have bought every single one .....but they went overboard in my opinion and the cyber hobby stuff destroyed any chance of my having a "complete" collection and now im very selective and wont even buy the newer zimmerit issues of previously released vehicles.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:54 pm

Looking at all the Dragon Armor selling on Ebay and some of it for so cheap, I wonder how dealers can sell much. I had duplicates on some that I wanted to sell off and they didn't sell, even for almost half what they initially cost new.

Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Philip » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Dragon has saturated the market. Too many re-issues. You would think that a company as large as Dragon would know better. The excitement for Dragon releases has faded somewhat, although I do still order some of their 1/72 tanks. The Stug and the Hornisse were nice additions. I think that their 1st and 2nd issue Tigers, will always do well, as will their early Jagdpanthers. Too many Cyber Hobby tanks. The wild card for collectors is Admiral Toys which promises to have 90% metal. I think I might buy another 1/72 Tiger with that much metal. When the Dragon tanks are no longer available then their value will increase accordingly. Too many tanks, with too much availability.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 am

While I think this time last year, the argument about Dragon coming out with too many releases, too quickly....they seemed to have slowed down in their releases. My attention waned during that period, but has since picked up again.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Dragon Stug IV 60117

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Dragon is out to make money. If they can sell a certain percentage of production they are satisfied and they certainly don't care about after market value because they don't see that money. So they make a lot, they sell a lot. There are always new buyers/collectors picking up the new releases even if "serious" collectors are turned off by the mass production. Dragon makes 'em for profit, not for us.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

gehena
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gehena » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:01 am

I totally agree, I am a Dragon Armor collector just since january and I remember that my goal was (still is) to own the first ten tanks released. The first one I got from e-bay was 60009 and I paid 50 euros for it. I just bought 60002 for 85 euros p&p included when I saw it in february for no less than 120 euros!

And if you take your time is still possible to find 60007 and 60010 in the "regular" shops for 12 euros!

I will still go for the first ten anyway.

In the meantime I am very interested in how the 1/35s will do!
el fiero turco en lepanto
en la tercera el frances
y en todo el mar el ingles
tuvieron de verme espanto

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:20 am

I'm for collecting every Tiger released. I have every Tiger, and about 98% of the rest of the collection (including CH releases).

I think the new stuff (ie. Hornisse, Stug,) looks absolutely terrific.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Blueprint for Glory

Post by lightning2000 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi,
I've been giving this topic some thought in between building out our new web site. While many collectors are still keen to obtain virtually every new Dragon Armor release, I think alot more collectors are sitting on the sidelines waiting for newly tooled vehicles to appear. For Dragon to regain some of its lost luster in this category, they might consider sticking to the following strategy:

- release your products on time - the Jagdpanther with zimmerit, for instance, was announced a year and a half ago. From both a dealer and collector's standpoint, nothing bugs me more than to wait for a product, especially this long. People eventually lose interest as well as confidence in your ability to deliver a product to market.
- release no more than four variants for each newly tooled vehicle. I think we have more Jagdtiger, Sturmtiger and Elefant/Ferdinand replicas than there were vehicles serving with the German Army. If you need to revisit a mold, try waiting at least a year.
- produce a greater variety of vehicles - we get it that the Germans had big, fearsome tanks. What we dont have are bunches of Allied tanks to oppose them or early war tanks. Some of us are interested in wargaming and we cant do it unless more types of vehicles are offered and on a timely basis.
- increase the metal content - Most collectors want a heavier vehicle, not a plastic kit that's been put together for them. While the cost of zinc may have gone up, I think that most collectors would be willing to spend a little bit more money if the vehicles had more heft
- reduce the production runs - I have no idea how many vehicles are being produced of late, but you might want to consider reducing their numbers. While sales might decrease, in the end your audience will continue to buy each new release rather than wait for them to be discounted.
- Cyberhobby - While I cant speak for everyone, I think that most collectors were very content with the early Cyberhobby releases and started to shun the last few offerings simply because they contained the same vehicles readily available in the Dragon Armor line. Pairing a vehicle with a wooden base isnt my idea of making something more collectible. Strategy? Go back to scratch and make truly unique vehicles that arent available in the regular Dragon Armor line and dont charge people months ahead of their actual release. Also make sure to include a limited edition card with each release that indicates the total production run and serial number for each vehicle. Its really pretty simple, but I think you tried to get too fancy and lost sight of your audience.

All things being equal, I think the vast majority of collectors still adore the line, but with each new manufacturer entering the category, people are taking a wait and see attitude. Just my rambling thoughts on the matter...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

OzDigger
Corporal
Corporal

Post by OzDigger » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:33 am

Well you certainly gave us some food for thought their lightning2000 and I agree with it all. I've been collecting for many a long year but have only recently moved into 1/72 scale with Corgi Aircraft and Dragon military vehicles. Both have terrific detail and don't take up much room. After 35 years of collecting it's either a new house or smaller models, and the later option was cheaper :D

Both companies need to sit back and have a good think about their future imo. They both produce an overly huge variety of different color schemes and yet have limited molds.

Corgi brings out to many British based aircraft and Dragon churn out to many German tanks. We are in a Global economy these days as it's wise to produce a selection of models that appeal to a wider variety of collectors.

Not so many years ago it was hard to find diecast military models. But now collectors have a huge variety of products to choose from. We are now spoilt and much more discerning in what we buy.

Companies have to spend much more time on market research to try and get things right first time.