New FOV Diecast Figures?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Fiveodeuce
Private First Class
Private First Class

New FOV Diecast Figures?

Post by Fiveodeuce » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:52 pm

Does anyone know, if FOV is going to produce anymore of the painted diecast figures. After picking up all of the WWII and Modern soldiers at Walmart over Christmas, I find that I want to get more. These are very nice for the money...and compared to some of the other metal fugres I collect these are just as good...

:roll:

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Soldiers of Steel

Post by lightning2000 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Hi,
If you are referring to the 1:32 scale Soldiers of Steel range, then Unimax told us at Toy Fair that they were going to discontinue this line.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:34 pm

Is there anything else they plan on discontinuing?

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Steel Storm

Post by lightning2000 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello,
I think thats it as far as discontinuations go. They are looking into repackaging the entire 1:32 line, which will probably be phased in with the next set of vehicles to be released. Its a painstaking process that typically takes a few years to accomplish since some retailers will still have the old packaging years hence. Look for the new 1:72 F-14 to show off the redesigned packaging, which now resembles Dragon's Warbird line.

As far as new products go, I'm especially excited to see them build out the brand into other epochs, although they may be called something else from a marketing standpoint. Right now they're being marketed under the Historical Legends series.

They were looking into one or two other projects, but I'm not at liberty to discuss them.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Fiveodeuce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fiveodeuce » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Were the figures that unpopular or does it have to do with cost???

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Steel Storm

Post by Ziegler2112 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:47 am

lightning2000 wrote:Hello,
They are looking into repackaging the entire 1:32 line, which will probably be phased in with the next set of vehicles to be released. Its a painstaking process that typically takes a few years to accomplish since some retailers will still have the old packaging years hence.
Could this be the reason some Target stores aren't receiving new stock? The 6 in my area haven't restocked in quite a while. The store closet to me has been completely out of stock since the beginning of January. Speaking of repackaging, I came across yet another enthusiast vehicle packaged in an Action Series box and selling for $ 24.99. This time it was the M1 Abrams Iraqi Freedom version. I've also seen several Desert Storm Bradleys and a few Desert Strom MI Abrams packaged this way.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Figures and Stuff

Post by lightning2000 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:18 am

Hi,
I have no idea as to how popular the figures were for them. All I can tell you is that they are discontinuing the line. You have to draw your own conclusions from that.

As for Target, again I have no idea as to why a store might be out of merchandise. March isnt considered a toy-selling month so it may just be a good bet that they're open to buy dollars are being spent elsewhere in the store. It could be any one of a dozen reasons. I'm sure their merchandise managers would rather see inventory levels rise in consumables or outerwear rather than toys as we head into spring.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

OzDigger
Corporal
Corporal

Post by OzDigger » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:46 pm

I didn't buy any of those figures because they were all based on GI's. No offence guys but it's not good business sense to make a set of figures all on the same side. Who are they going to fight?

Fiveodeuce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fiveodeuce » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:03 pm

I think this was an attempt to offer an affordable product to compete with the Britains/Conte/Frontline/K&C, and the countless new companies that are getting pricy for the figures....

OzDigger
Corporal
Corporal

Post by OzDigger » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:06 pm

There certainly is a market for 1/32 metal figures as evidenced by Conte, King and Country (1/30) etc. I just think FOV tried to crack into that market the wrong way as most metal figure collectors these days use them in dioramas.

Therefore you would be best to sell them in sets of say four as part of a range of various nationalities. So pretty much the same as their plastic figure sets but cast in metal. For a variety of reasons most collectors prefer soldiers in metal than plastic. I'd be preparred to pay a bit more for metal figures, afterall the vehicles are metal.