What colour to paint my Reggiane 2005?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

What colour to paint my Reggiane 2005?

Post by aferguson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 am

i just finished building a 1/72 Reggiane 2005 and was about to paint it. I figured I would go with the established colour for the green colour Verde Oliva Scuro 2, which is something like this:

a quite dark vibrant green. But then I cam across this preserved Re 2005 which was held in a private collection and unknown until 2010; it is now in a museum:

https://www.jetphotos.com/aircraft/Regg ... Sagittario

From the pictures, it can be seen that the green is not nearly so dark as the established shade for Verde Oliva Scuro 2 and much more olive. Now, you could put this down to age and fading, but the other colours on the plane, the red numbers, the squadron logo, the white band are still pretty vibrant and fresh looking and don't really look all that faded.

So i'm thinking that maybe Verde Oliva Scuro 2 is not so dark as previously thought. It's somewhat lighter and more olive in shade. Anyway, i'm going to go out on a limb and paint my model more like this colour. I've always been a bit skeptical of the established shade for Verde Oliva Scuro 2 anyway, for one thing, if it were that dark the national insignia on the upper wing would barely be visible against such a dark background, and thet doesn't make sense to me for 1943 Italy.

Anyway, I bring this up because I know there are a few accomplished, knowledgeable modellers here and I would like their input before I proceed.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: What colour to paint my Reggiane 2005?

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Possibly one of the verde mimetico colors?

I have only one Italian kit (The 21st C c.202) and there aren't many in 1/32 anyway, so I haven't info'ed up on the colors yet.

Try googling 'stormo color guide'.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 am

I usually use either Humbrol 102 ( Army Green ) or 86 ( Light Olive ) for my Italian fighters AF, depending on the nature of the scheme, the markings and whether the plane is supposed to have seen some action or not. AF. I think that the color you used is fine, but maybe needed a 10% dose of white to lighten it a tad.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:20 pm

thanks for the input, Epap, those colours are quite a bit lighter than the green pictured on the Reggiane 2005 above.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...