~1/72 Last Jedi Tie Silencer from Hasbro

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

~1/72 Last Jedi Tie Silencer from Hasbro

Post by aferguson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:14 am

Hasbro is releasing a 10 inch long Tie Silencer toy/model. The 'real' thing is around 57 feet and change long so toy works out to be 1/70 scale. For $13 doesn't look too bad.

Not sure i'm sold on the design, but I guess it could be viewed as an evolution of the tie interceptor...only larger. I am sure I don't like the name Tie Silencer, but what can ya do?

https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/st ... F7416097D2

Revell is coming out with a light and sound snap kit of the Silencer, also in 1/70 scale.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: ~1/72 Last Jedi Tie Silencer from Hasbro

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 am

I picked this up the other day at Target. Its a nice little kit that snaps together in about 5 minutes and has integrated sound and light features. The Kylo figure is tiny inside and I wonder how this ship will play out in the films as there seems to be a lot of space inside... But like you, Aferg, I'm only sort of warming up to the overall design... Here are some pics of the kit:

However, the real gem in the new series of models is the A-Wing. It is near spot-on to 1/35 scale and has the correctly opening canopy, retractable landing gear, light/sound effect, a detailed cockpit and pilot figure. With a little painting and weathering, it can be turned into a very nice model! I am actually digging the new TLJ A-Wing, if anything because I've always been an A-Wing fan and I like that the new ship draws inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's A-Wing Concept Art for Return of the Jedi.

1/35 figure scale comparison (the standing figure is from a 1/35 scale M-48 tank model)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I think you have the Revell kit Tman? I posted about the Hasbro version which only needs to have the wings snapped on and as far as I know, has no light/sound features. Both are virtually the same size though, afik. The Revell kit looks good; I may pick it up instead of the Hasbro one.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Aferg, you are correct in that my models are the Revell ones. They were $20 at Target in the US.

I haven't seen the ship you had linked above, but it must be part of that budget line Hasbro does for some of their ships (they did a similar line for Rogue One). I did get the TIE Silencer and A-Wing for the 3.75" figure line, both of which are nice toys, but underscaled. The TIE is probably close to 1/35 scale, actually.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm

I picked up the snap A wing and it is pretty solid. Although, yours with weathering looks much more awesome. How did you weather?
Todd

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm

DocTodd, I replied to your PM, but I might as well describe publicly as well. I achieved the weathering effect using a highly thinned wash of Tamiya Acrylic German Grey paint that I brushed onto the model and into the panel lines. When I first attempted the weathering, I wasn’t happy with the result, so tried removing the paint with rubbing alcohol. This removed the paint mostly from the flat surfaces, but left the paint in the panel lines and other recessed areas which achieved the weathering effect. I also painted the cockpit and figure. The Revell TLJ A-Wing is a great model and one jog the better shops they’ve done :D