where to put swastikas on go-229

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

where to put swastikas on go-229

Post by aferguson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 am

i'm going to be making a kit of one of these soon and have been pondering the paint scheme. The most usual place I see for the swastikas is right at the pointy rear of the wing, side by side. However, I think that looks dumb plus, it would be nice to put stripes in that area, like this:

I've also seen one big swastika in the same area at the pointy rear of the wing. I like that better but it still has the problem of conflicting with any stripes added.

So I thought that maybe i'd put the swastikas at the rear of the engine nacelles, one on each side. I've never seen them there though....does anyone have pictures of this? Thoughts about that location? The aircraft numbers could go at the front of the nacelles.

I'm also considering doing this scheme, which looks pretty sharp:

i never met an airplane i didn't like...

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: where to put swastikas on go-229

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 am

Well, any pics that would be out there would just be pics of models or drawings since the plane never went into production; as you know the only complete one has the swastikas below the nozzles. I've only ever seen one pic of a model with them on the nozzles and that was a while back. Photoshop might have eaten that pic. There are a few done in the NS-DAP scheme as it is striking. That's probably why I see a lot of Ju87A Stuka's done in pre-war colors.

Anyway, most every pic follows the NASM scheme or has no swastikas. Anything else would be a "what if" and up to you.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:23 pm

is it certain that the NASM 229 hasn't had the swastikas added after the war? They look much fresher and less worn than the rest of the paint job. Is there an actual wartime photo of either of the completed 229s with swastikas on them?

Here are a couple of wartime photos of other Horton designs with no swastikas at all:

..the bottom pic being the glider version of the 229.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 am

Andrew, this where I placed them.

I think one looks better than two side by side....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho ... n_rear.jpg

I have better pictures........but the old photobucket is acting up again.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Agree with Normandy. I placed it at at the end of tail. I think it looks best at that position.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 am

That does look good with the single Swastika on the "tail". My 1/18 version has the dual swastikas, as Pickelhaube was basically replicating the example housed in the Smithsonian Museum...

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."