Question for experienced modellers re: resin kits

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Question for experienced modellers re: resin kits

Post by aferguson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:02 am

I have a reasonable amount of experience building plastic model kits in my life, but virtually none building resin kits. I am seriously considering getting the Anigrand 1/72 C-5 Galaxy kit.

So, my question is, given my experience, do you think I would be able to complete the kit? I usually use superglues when I build kits and from my little experience resin behaves a lot like plastic, as far as sanding, painting etc goes. I know about pinholes in the resin (apparently this Anigrand kit, unlike others they've made, has no pinholes in the resin) and would be able to deal with them.

Anything else I should know? I am going to start saving up for it but don't want to get all excited only to find some pitfall. Given it's very large dimensions (37" x 41") I want to check it out before I commit to such a large project in an unfamiliar material.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Question for experienced modellers re: resin kits

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:53 am

CYA or epoxy. Also, you will need a respirator and lots of ventilation. The dust from sanding resin is very toxic.

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Resin kits are a BIG PITA eh!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 am

I've worked a lot with resin kits, particularly the stuff made by other board members like Pickelhaube. A lot of the professional small-scale resin kits can be very well detailed, etc. Here are a few tips and answers to your questions...

Always wash the parts in soapy water first to remove any oils.

Fill in and sand any holes (air bubbles left from the moulding process) using putty and sand smooth

Trim or sand out any other imperfections using a fine-grit sandpaper (this can be the most extensive part of the build, depending on the quality of the parts)

Glue parts using a CA glue or epoxy

Always prime before painting, especially with resin

You should be able to use both oil or acrylic paints on resin - I most frequently resort to acrylics as they're easier to clean and I've had a couple instances where oil-based paints reacted with something in the resin (probably leftover oils I hadn't gotten cleaned out) and this made the paint tacky.

Hope this all helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:21 pm

thanks very much for the advice. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...