A 1:72nd Scale Chinese TU-16 Arrives

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

A 1:72nd Scale Chinese TU-16 Arrives

Post by Epap » Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks to a tip by Andrew who runs this forum, I was put onto a french seller who was offering a 1:72nd scale diecast replica of the Chinese version of the Cold War Soviet jet bomber---the TU-16 or "badger". This comes via a dealer named Terebo, which often puts its name on AF1 and other products, so it is likely that we shall soon see an AF1 version of the same model to accompany its 1:144th scale rendition, now available online. The Chinese H-6k in question is a maritime bomber with various missiles as its main payload and the bomb- aimer's position as well as some turrets omitted. And it's a big model---much larger that a Corgi B-17, though made of lighter material so it weighs about the same. The wingspan is about 18 inches.

Ok, enough chatter. Here are some down and dirty pictures of this pretty well shaped and moderately well detailed model. First from above and the front:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: A 1:72nd Scale Chinese TU-16 Arrives

Post by Epap » Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am

A slightly different angle:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue May 23, 2017 11:55 am

More of a side shot:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue May 23, 2017 11:58 am

Andrew noted the unusual placement of the fuselage side insignia, which is usually farther to the rear and more centered. I found the same on most pictures of the H-6k. However Terebo included a small brochure with pictures of the model and one of actual H-6Ks which seems to support the way the model was detailed. Here's that picture:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue May 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Now, the underside. I should note that the wing and tail flaps do, indeed flap---in some cases more than one might desire---and the landing gear is retractable. Here's a shot with the wheels in the "up" position:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue May 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Finally, a shot of the landing gear extended:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 23, 2017 1:18 pm

thanks for the review, Epap. Looks to be a decent effort, though the price is somewhat stiff (about $250US shipped).

The K version of the H-6 was one developed specifically by the Chinese, with most notably, modifications to the nose and tail gunner areas. I''m not sure there is a direct Soviet/Russian equivalent, so there may not be much repaint potential with this, if someone was thinking of making it into a Soviet/Russian Tu-16.

Still, I think it's pretty neat all on its own; the H-6K is fairly new, entering service with the PLAAF just two years ago. It's a fairly spectacular piece of diecast, rivalling Corgi's Vulcan in size.

NB I think the fuselage national insignia are too high because, if they were in the proper place, they would have to span the fuselage join line and I suspect it's a difficult and costly procedure to make two half markings align.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...