Quick Build: Monogram M48A1 Patton Tank

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Quick Build: Monogram M48A1 Patton Tank

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Last week, I got a hankering to add some more Vietnam War era armor to my collection. I wanted something simple and quick to build. Stopping by my local Hobby Lobby, I wound up coming across the old Revell/Monogram 1/35 scale M48A1 kit. While not 1/32, I figured it would still work for my purposes. The kit is an old design (the parts were date stamped 1965) and had the typical fitting issues, mounded on details, etc. that are found on older kits. The build was easy and also gave me the chance to try out my new Iwata airbrush as well as some new weathering techniques without damaging a more complex and expensive model. The tank was airbrushed with Tamiya Olive Drab acrylic paint and weathered using Tamiya Weathering Master powders. This was the first time I had tried the powders and I really like them! I may try the more detailed Tamiya M48A3 model next...

My model tank uses the decals that came with the kit, replicating the markings of an M48 from the 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Division, from probably around the early to mid 1960s.

Below are some pics of how it came out... Enjoy :D

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Re: Quick Build: Monogram M48A1 Patton Tank

Post by dragon53 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

That's a pretty cool build of an ancient Monogram kit.
I actually had the original Monogram kit of the M48 "Big Pat" when I was very young.
My copy of MONOGRAM MODELS says it was originally released in December, 1958.

Rxrated
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Rxrated » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 am

Looks Great.. I remember building those kits.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:15 am

Looks very nice. I like it.
May pick this one up to go along with the Tamiya Patton tank I built few months ago.