Finished Ki-43-II HAYABUSA (OSCAR)

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Finished Ki-43-II HAYABUSA (OSCAR)

Post by cnq » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Kit is from Hasegawa in 1/32.

Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Finished Ki-43-II HAYABUSA (OSCAR)

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Love the flaking on the anti-glare panel! You have a fabulous collection of models!

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:16 am

Axis Nightmare wrote:Love the flaking on the anti-glare panel! You have a fabulous collection of models!

Thank you Axis.
This kit is old and cheap. I think it's a good kit for beginner to try out for their 1st model.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 am

Very nice Oscar. What color/brand yellow did you use for the wing I.D.?

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:36 am

USCGMK2 wrote:Very nice Oscar. What color/brand yellow did you use for the wing I.D.?
Thanks.
I used Tamiya and mixed Yellow & Red to get that color since the instructions said to use yellow orange color for that section.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am

Very nice!

How did you get the realistic "paint chipping" effect?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am

Looks very good

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Thank you guys.

tman,

I did the "paint chipping" by first painted it with aluminum silver, waited a day for it completely dry, then painted that section with top color ( black in this case), then immediately I used an aluminum tape (very sticky) or any tape that sticks well, then applied to the section that I wanted the "chipping" to appear, and pulling it out real fast, and repeated it until I satisfied with the result. The black paint while still not dry yet, would stick to the aluminum tape, and left behind the bare metal silver. I hope I explained that well.
There are few ways to do it i.e. hairspray, salting...etc...Just google in youtube and they will come up.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm

cnq wrote:Thank you guys.

tman,

I did the "paint chipping" by first painted it with aluminum silver, waited a day for it completely dry, then painted that section with top color ( black in this case), then immediately I used an aluminum tape (very sticky) or any tape that sticks well, then applied to the section that I wanted the "chipping" to appear, and pulling it out real fast, and repeated it until I satisfied with the result. The black paint while still not dry yet, would stick to the aluminum tape, and left behind the bare metal silver. I hope I explained that well.
There are few ways to do it i.e. hairspray, salting...etc...Just google in youtube and they will come up.
That is very helpful! I've seen a variety of different methods about how to do the chipping effect. I've simply "scratched" chips on using silver paint and a stiff brush. It works well on small surfaces, but doesn't look as good on larger ones... Your method seems a simple (and realistic) way to achieve the effect :D

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
cnq wrote:Thank you guys.

tman,

That is very helpful! I've seen a variety of different methods about how to do the chipping effect. I've simply "scratched" chips on using silver paint and a stiff brush. It works well on small surfaces, but doesn't look as good on larger ones... Your method seems a simple (and realistic) way to achieve the effect :D

You're welcome.
Now when would we be able to see the big B17 you've been playing with :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Progress on the B-17 has stalled the past few weeks, largely due to some increased demands with my job :? I'm hoping things will quiet down soon and then I'll be able to get back in the groove of things with that model. Now that the weather is warming up and is a little less wet, conditions are getting perfect for model building :D