A 1:72nd Scale DeAgostini Tojo Code 3

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

A 1:72nd Scale DeAgostini Tojo Code 3

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:40 am

As some may know, there's a new subscription line by DeAgostini serving the Japanese market with a series of about 60-80 WW2 diecast aircraft models, that is up to number 27 at this point. The vast majority of the line will consist of old IXO models---some with new schemes, many in their original garb---plus 20 new toolings of Japanese models not made by IXO, originally. Some of the "new" molds are "new" mainly to IXO, the manufacturer, but are available in much superior form from HM, SkyMax, Witty, etc. These include several early Zeros, a Val and Kate. However, most of the newbies are really new, not being made by any manufacturer in this scale. Released so far are a Shinden, Judy, Reppu, and Tojo, with a Nate pending as well---per rumor---a Dinah.

The Tojo has made its appearance and is quite good for a cheapie product. It has the right shape, is assembled and painted fairly well, etc., however, IXO decided to retain the darkened panel lines used in its first series---no doubt for consistency---and utilized the drop tanks from the Ki-84 ( "Frank" ), which are way too big, rather than those from the Ki-43 ( "Oscar" ), which are the right size and should have been available for this purpose. Here's a picture of the Tojo as I received it:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: A 1:72nd Scale DeAgostini Tojo Code 3

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 am

I bought a number of these models for code 3 purposes and took one which needed repairs as my first subject. The oversized fuel tanks are easily popped off, leaving two small mounting holes and a little dried glue, so I ditched them. The canopy can be pried off---with care---so off it came to allow for a pilot figure ( when putting the canopy back, a bit of glue at its front is needed ). The landing light is missing but was pained on and my new scheme depicted a plane that was sent to its unit in natural metal, but was painted a topside green, which is heavily flaked and worn off. I added some chipping and light stains, with this result:Image
Last edited by Epap on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 am

Another angle:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:49 am

A side view:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am

Beautiful. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks, AF.