Revell Star Wars X-Wing Model in 1/30 Scale

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Revell Star Wars X-Wing Model in 1/30 Scale

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 pm

After seeing the new Star Wars Rogue One film and the prominent role the classic Original Trilogy X-Wing fighter plays in the film, I wanted to get a decent model of one. Visiting my local Hobbytown USA store, I came across the Revell Snap Tite Max X-Wing and picked it up for about half price. The model is in massive 1/30 scale and is pre-painted in Luke Skywalker's ship, "Red 5" from Star Wars A New Hope. I decided just to build the stock kit (i.e. no extra painting details) and am very happy with it. Please enjoy the pictures below:

Assembly is simple and should take a little over an hour to place all 93 parts. While this is a snap-tite kit, I used glue in some places to strengthen the model. The kit has a detailed cockpit and came with certain interior details like the nose sensors, proton torpedoes, and reactor/power unit. Landing gear are plug-in-place and have door pieces for the retracted and extended positions. I sanded down the pegs and holes on the panels covering the interior details so they could be easily removed to display the interior portions. These features also enable the ship to be displayed in "field stripped" condition for a maintenance setup if one so desires. The wings open and close easily enough and there is a display stand included.

The model is about 1/30 scale and is properly scaled. It is very large - much larger than the original Kenner X-Wing toy and nearly as large as the newer Hasbro X-Wing for the 3 3/4" figures. The Revell model really shows just how under-scaled those toys are! I found that those Hasbro Star Wars Unleashed mini-figures from about 10 years ago are closely scaled with the Revell X-Wing model and they make for a neat setup 8)

Certainly extra paint work could bring out details and make the model look even better. Nevertheless, I am happy with the kit and glad to have a properly scaled X-Wing in my Star Wars collection :D

Comparison shot with a Hasbro X-Wing:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Re: Revell Star Wars X-Wing Model in 1/30 Scale

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:42 pm

That's really cool! I think I have the same kit but I'll get one if I don't.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Revell Star Wars X-Wing Model in 1/30 Scale

Post by jlspec » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am

Not sure if this is a good deal but a local discount chain (Ollies) has this kit for $29.99