HK Models 1/32 B-17G Build In Progress

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: HK Models 1/32 B-17G Build In Progress

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks Axis!

I hate to say it, but my work on this project has stalled for the moment because at some point last year, I got the hankering to do some armor models, then 1/35 German U-Boats, then more armor, and now I’m working on that 1/18 FW-190. That all was not helped by the fact that I easily doubled the number of parts with for this kit by adding the PE components, however, I do like the fact that the radios have dials :wink:

I do plan to eventually get back to the B-17 kit as time allows, maybe once my FW-190 is finished... As I see it, all the little projects that got in the way of the B-17 have helped to build my skills all the more, meaning that I’ll hopefully do much better work when I get back on this model 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Well, if I remember correctly, the thing kind of goes together in modules doesn't it? That sort of gives you the leeway to come and go with it.

I wouldn't really worry, though. I know a few guys still working on theirs and they started when the kit was still new. And then there is the guy backdating his "G" kit to a "D".......

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am

Yep, the HK Models B-17 construction does proceed in modular fashion. I stopped with the rear bulkhead for the radio compartment in progress.

But backdating a B-17G to a D would be quite the challenge! HK Models has made a B-17F kit (which would have the nose section parts without the chin turret faring) but the entire rear section of the aircraft is completely different on a B-17D compared to the E-G models. Not a project I’d personally want to undertake!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."