1/144 B-24D UPDATE

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

1/144 B-24D UPDATE

Post by JollyRoger » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 pm

After putting a few stars on I was researching where I had to drill a hole in the starboard side of the nose glass for a gun, I then realized I made a mistake by cutting in the side nose window. The B-24D did not have the window on this side. I had to fill it with putty and fix it

While I was waiting for the Solv A Set to work on the star on the bottom of the wing I thought I would do a little pastel shading on the wings, exhaust pipes and the super chargers. As you can see I didn't seal up the hole for stand just in case I wanted to use it in the future.

Once it was able to flip back over some more pastel shading was added to the top portion of the aircraft, and the right nose gun was inserted.

This picture has a few vehicles for a touch of realism. Will post another update soon as the rest of the guns and markings are added.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 1/144 B-24D UPDATE

Post by krieglok » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:54 am

Nice work! I like subtle weathering job. The shot with the vehicles is pretty impressive. It gives a nice perspective of the size of the plane.

You made your own decals?

Tom

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks Tom, we have a lot of stars from kits and many different after market company's so they are not the problem. We do try to make our own specialty markings for the specific aircraft we want to make. It ends up being a hit or miss deal. We have found that the ink from the inkjet printer has to dry for a good amount of time before the ink sealer can be sprayed on. And that has to be sprayed on in very light coats or the ink ends up bleeding. Here are a few pics of the successful decals we made.
It works out much better to print on white decal paper as opposed to clear. The white background shows the ink where the clear make the image see thru.
This B-24 BOOBY TRAP has the tail marking printed on white. The nose art was printed on clear. We made several images of the nose art. We layered 2 images one on top of the other to get the correct density.

On the QUEEN OF HEARTS we found a set of after market skull and crossed bombs which went on a painted red tail, the teeth were printed on white decal paper and the nose art again was printed on clear and several of the same images were "stacked" upon each other.

This last picture is of the 90th Bomb Group , 400th's Squadron hack A-20. The stars are after market, the tail and nose art were printed on white decal sheet and worked out well. the tail took a couple of attempts to put on the aircraft but finally looked decent.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Excellent work. I used to do screen printing but never anything as intricate as your work. Simply amazing. Thanks for the photos and narrative about the process.

Tom