WW1 Limber Sets from Atlas

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

WW1 Limber Sets from Atlas

Post by krieglok » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 am

These are WW1 French pattern limbers and cassions which were used with the French 75mm cannon by both the French Army and the AEF in France during the Great War...

They are made by Atlas and sporadically available on EBay at wildly varying prices. They come in their plain pewter color and need a minimum of clean up before painting. The Horse required a little seam filling with Testors plastic putty before all pieces were spray painted with Krylon black primer. I then hand brush painted them using French colors available from "AK Interactive" through Amazon of all places. The paint covers very well, similar to Vallejo high pigment paints.

The first images are the French version, in towing mode and finally in the deployed mode....

Here is the US version. Most artillery used by the AEF in WW1 was supplied by the French...

Finally, the horses...

ketelone
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: WW1 Limber Sets from Atlas

Post by ketelone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks. cool
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:09 am

After some exhaustive searching on EBay, I found the cannons which go with these limbers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252602238657?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

They are cheap but shipping is a killer. Still, If I bought just one, it still comes out $20 cheaper than the same cannon from China. I bought three for my projects and the shipping was the same as one, for all three.

I am doing one in US colors, French colors and a WW2 version in French green. They are 1/32 but the human figures are a bit too large.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:51 am

Here is the matching French 75mm cannon. It is also pewter and fairly well detailed. These are a bit harder to find on eBay at a decent price. Everything comes out of China except for this particular gun. I bought it from a guy in England. This one will be painted in the US Army camouflage scheme to match the limber and ammo wagon I already painted...

I had to add a lunett (tow hitch) to the gun as it didn't have one. It is shaped metal and has filler on it now, waiting to dry before final shaping...

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:06 am

I finished painting the cannon. I did this one in the French Army scheme to match the limber and cassion. I also finished painting the horses. I need to start fabricating the harnesses and assorted parts that will eventually tie the horses to the equipment...

Tom

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 am

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:03 am

ketelone