Need advice on painting 1/16 scale WW2 German tank and weapo

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Need advice on painting 1/16 scale WW2 German tank and weapo

Post by tparkhere » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Need advice on painting 1/16 scale German Tiger, King Tiger and metal weapons.

I have numerous 1/16 RC Tiger and King Tiger tanks that are already painted by other collectors in ambush scheme (Non-oil based paint). I would like to add more details myself. Tanks are for indoor display purposes only. No "playing" them outside. I need advice on which non-oil based paint (brand and SKU) for the following steps:
A. Weathering
B. Washing
C. Chipping
D. rusting, etc

1/16 Tiger and King Tiger tanks are already air-brushed in ambushed scheme. They are nice but too clean. I would like to make them look more realistic using non-oil based paint.

I also have metal 1/16 German weapons (MG-34, MG-42, Gewehr 43 and stg44). Please let me know which paint colors I need to paint them. The brand name and SKU would be very much appreciated. Also, do I need to prime the metal weapons before painting them? If yes, then please let me know the primer I need.

Your expertise would be much appreciated.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Need advice on painting 1/16 scale WW2 German tank and w

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:43 pm

There is no one set way to do weathering and I've seen a lot of variations on this board with how members have approached weathering vehicles.

My process is rather simple... I'll start with using my airbrush to spray a darker brown paint along the lower extremities of the vehicle (lower hull, sides, underside, wheels) then layer over it with a lighter brown or flat earth color, sprayed lightly and sporadically enough so that the darker brown (and original base paint) still show through somewhat. When spraying, I do not hold the button down continuously, but apply short bursts in a somewhat random pattern until achieving the desired level of coverage. I will then use an old stiff brush to scratch and brush mud and rust weathering specks on the other parts of the vehicle. I may use a charcoal pencil or even a regular pencil for black weathering along panel lines. I may also spray a flat brown color lightly over the upper surfaces to create a light dusting effect. If you really want to get fancy, you can use putty or plaster to create a "caked mud" effect, then paint it over with brown paints in the manner I described above.

Below are some pictures of my recently-completed Stug IV in 1/18 scale where I applied my basic weathering techniques, including the sprayed mud and scratched/brushed speckling.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Thank you. That's a very nice looking tank. I appreciate your advice.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:19 am

I would recommend getting a bottle "WASH" from Vallejo. This thing will do wonder on tanks for you ( in terms of weathering). The weathering package (bottles) from Tamiya also works very well.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:39 am

T-Man....super great looking Stug! I had a1/16 R/C grey Stug III. I replaced most of the plastic parts with metal, like the tracks, wheels, idlers etc. I also installed a slow speed gear box, which was probably the best mod I did on it. I ended up selling it after it sat on my end table for a year...it was just so big!

I had weathered it with spray can weathering, once available from caboose hobbies. It had a nice splattered mud look to it.

I was even invited to an indoor AFV fighting club with a huge indoor terrain setup, but the I just never had the time. Very addicting hobby!

I had picked up a non running 1/16 M-26 Pershing that I worked on, and it made a great display model with rolling tracks, opening hatches, traversing turret, etc. They are a good alternative if you can't find a 1/18 vehicle for display/play purposes...

Tom