Customizing the New Ray 1/32 scale AH-64 Apache

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Customizing the New Ray 1/32 scale AH-64 Apache

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 19, 2016 12:24 pm

A couple weeks ago, I decided to customize the New Ray AH-64 Apache model with the goal to make the helicopter look better and less toyish than the stock version as well as practice some customizing techniques. I used one of those Testors kits of the New Ray model you can find at places like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

There is a more detailed description of the model work I did in the "Customs and Mods" forum: http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... 35#p324835
Basically, I gave the model a complete repaint using a darker OD green; plugged the screw holes on the starboard side of the airframe; fully detailed the cockpit with crew figures; and made custom decals for the markings. The final result is not perfect by any means, but I wasn't shooting for 100% perfection in this case, just something to improve the look of the New Ray Apache.

Enjoy the photos :D

Photo of Stock New Ray/Testors Apache (not mine)

Photos of my Custom New Ray/Testors Apache

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Re: Customizing the New Ray 1/32 scale AH-64 Apache

Post by hworth18 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Looks great!!! A nice wash would bring out the rockets in the pods, wheels and other small details.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Re: Customizing the New Ray 1/32 scale AH-64 Apache

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 19, 2016 7:05 pm

I'll have to try that... I remember the original New Ray Apache I bought back in 2009 and later sold had something of a black wash on it (and United States Army stenciling) but was otherwise unpainted. These type of projects are never truly finished :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."