FOV 1/32 British Matilda II Tank Repaint

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

FOV 1/32 British Matilda II Tank Repaint

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 pm

I have wanted an FOV Matilda II tank in the livery of a British Expeditionary Force (BEF) vehicle in France in 1940 to counter my other Blitzkrieg-era German tanks in 1/32 scale. Matildas played a key role in the Battle of Arras (May 21, 1940) which was one of the few near-successes the Allies enjoyed against the German invasion of France and Belgium. Since FOV was likely never to make a Matilda in BEF markings, that left me with the repaint option. This was a long-gestating project that I actually started over 5 years ago and then revisited this past week. Below are some pics of the end result. There is more to see in the "Customs & Mods" forum as well. Enjoy :D

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Re: FOV 1/32 British Matilda II Tank Repaint

Post by hworth18 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:17 pm

That's really a nice job! I've only seen the Matilda painted in the desert colors so this is a welcome change.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Really nice. I have meant to paint one of my Matildas. I had hoped that FOV would have released a Euro camo back in the day. (Same for a Euro camo T-72.)
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi everyone!! Long time no see!!

Love the repaint tman!! Its a shame FOV never made those early war paint schemes for the BEF even when they had the molds. Is FOV still around?? I haven't bought a FOV model in 2.5 years :cry:
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 am

I like tha camo work and the weathering. Very cool.

I did a early war Matilda a few years ago. It is also a repainted FOV model....

The side flashes were hand painted while the number and the platoon tank name were Archer dry transfers that were exceptionally difficult to apply, I recall....

Tom

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 am

Very nice work with your Matilda, Tom! I like the figure and use of decals for the serial numbering and tank name as well.

I couldn't find suitable decals for mine (though I probably didn't look hard enough) and consequently wound up not painting the serial numbers. I saw profile depictions of early-war Matildas that didn't have them on the sides and then some that did. The side flashes were fairly easy to paint. I left the "Desert Rats" and divisional markings on the front to give the tank a little more individuality, even though they are inaccurate.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:32 pm

The name and numbers were Archer dry transfers. I hated them. This was the only tank I ever used them on.

Your camo and markings are right on.

Yes, many variations and many different looks of the same vehicle. I think the one I modeled was a England based tank, never was in France...

Tom

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I, too, have dabbled with BEF armor and this 1:48th scale war gamer's resin model of a Matilda II by Blitzkrieg Miniatures was my subject---as shown below:Image

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:33 am

Nice! I didn't know war gamers used bigger scales like 1/48. It must make for a cool looking gaming table.

I have a ton of FOW stuff I built a while back. I think that is like 1/100 scale...

Tom