Bronco 1/35 Scale U-Boot Type XXIII Kit Build-in-Progress

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Bronco 1/35 Scale U-Boot Type XXIII Kit Build-in-Progress

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I've been on a bit of a model building binge as of late and started my Bronco Models 1/35 Scale U-Boot Type XXIII kit. I've had this for a few months already, but finally got the wherewithal to build it starting last week. Here are a few in progress pictures:

Overall, things are progressing smoothly. I've got the hull and conning tower assembled and soon to be joined. Then its onto some of the finer structural details, then painting. The parts assemble quite well with only minor alignment issues. It's not a very difficult kit overall, though there are some tiny and delicate parts that require some finesse to assemble (to the best that I can muster). The kit is quite detailed on the outside, but has little in the way of an interior (namely a ladder, hatch, and periscope viewport in the conning tower). Still, at nearly 4 feet long, it should be a fantastic display piece.

More pics to come as the build progresses :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

[CAT]CplSlade

Re: Bronco 1/35 Scale U-Boot Type XXIII Kit Build-in-Progres

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 pm

I have yet to tackle mine, as I have to build a shelf to display it on first.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:20 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:I have yet to tackle mine, as I have to build a shelf to display it on first.
It is indeed big! I have no idea where it will go when finished, but I'll find a spot.

However, when you get around to building it, DO NOT put the magnets in the torpedo doors as the instructions indicate... They are intended as a rather neat feature to hold the doors in the closed position but still allow them to be pushed open - at least in theory. The problem is that the magnets are so strong that the repulse between them when pushed together could be enough to crack apart the hull :shock: That happened to me a few hours after my previous post when I decided to try out the doors. Removing the magnet from one door damaged it, but I was able to re-glue the door in the closed position and fix the hull. The other torpedo door still functions as intended, so I can still display that function.

Reading a review of this kit on Fine Scale Modeler, the much more professional builder made a similar mistake, so it doesn't make me feel too amateur :wink:

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 am

That is big!! Just be glad it isn't the normal size version which would probably be about twice the length.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:03 pm

I've just finished the U-Boot Type XXIII kit. Here are some pictures of the final product, complete with custom crew figures. I decided to use the markings for U-2336, which under the command of Kapitänleutnant Emil Klusmeier, sank the last Allied ships lost in the European war on 7 May 1945, when he torpedoed and sank the freighters Sneland and Avondale Park off the Isle of May inside the Firth of Forth off the English coast.

DomiUK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DomiUK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 am

Excellent job on that.

I have a question on the kit , does it give any option to make it waterline ?

One day I will get around to posting pictures but I have an in progress diorama in 1 32 of my fictional german secret weapons factory and a U boat would go very well.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Really nice
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks for the kind comments guys :D

DomiUK, your German secret weapons diorama sounds pretty interesting. However, the Bronco Models U-boat does not come with the waterline option. The hull construction on the model consists of a fore and aft section with each section being made of two left and right (starboard and port) halves. Making a waterline display would require cutting up the parts that make the hull.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Nice job on the U-boot, tman.

I knew about the magnet situation from a build log I read awhile back. That guy had a work-around but I haven't decided how to handle it when it's my turn.

My current "vision" for my display is a floating shelf to go above my main armor display shelf. It will be above and behind the lower shelf to force a little perspective, and will span a good distance as it will need to support not only the sub, but a Leopold, Karl-Gerat, a V2 rocket on a Meilerwagen trailer, a 12.8cm Flakzwilling AA platform, and several armored railway cars!

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:18 am

Great job Tristan! Now you gotta build a wolf pack boat in 1/35..lol
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Mon May 02, 2016 10:53 pm

I did a great interior for mine!

Plastic General

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 am

plasticgeneral wrote:I did a great interior for mine!

Plastic General
You should post some pics!

This kit had some interesting detail features including the torpedo tubes, periscope tube, floor/deck on the interior forward section, etc that seemed to present the option for a builder to build a cross-section model and construct a custom interior. The only part of the interior I detailed on my model is the bridge inside the conning tower... I wanted someone to be able to see something when they looked down the hatch.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Tue May 03, 2016 10:14 am

looks great
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Thu May 12, 2016 1:36 pm

It looks good tman. I like it.