Dragons 1/35 Tiger is in da house!!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Dragons 1/35 Tiger is in da house!!

Post by hworth18 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:45 pm

I got notification today that Onmark international got their Tiger Is in today.. I am going over there tomorrow to check them out, although at $70, they are a little rich for me right now.. :oops:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by smh_1021 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:19 pm

They are impressive - weathering is nice, not overdone - even the packaging is impressive.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:54 pm

picked up Dragons newest addition to its Dragon Armor lineup and I have to say it is IMPRESSIVE... ;)
The tank is mounted on a black plastic base similar to its 1/72 cousins but it doesn't have a clear cover, and that is about the only thing I can see wrong with this beauty.. All the crew hatches open, the turret traverses, the gun elevates, and it actually recoils!!! The hull MG also rotates and the "small" details are just incredible.. I can say that the tracks are fixed and don't move, but it will be a great addition to my current 1/35 scale model collection..
Aside from the tracks and cover, there isn't anything bad I can say about this piece and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested..
:D :D :D :D :D

On a side note, I am curious as to why Dragon would go this route knowing that they could eventually hurt the plastic model industry in which they are a major player in.. I mean, why buy a kit when you can pay $30 more and get one already built "better" than you could do it yourself??? :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:07 pm

Any semblance of an interior underneath those opening hatches? Sounds like its a good vehicle, however, despite the fixed tracks. Now you need to track down the CanDo Normandy Tank Aces 1/35 figure set. Those should go quite well with your Tiger!

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:38 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Any semblance of an interior underneath those opening hatches? Sounds like its a good vehicle, however, despite the fixed tracks. Now you need to track down the CanDo Normandy Tank Aces 1/35 figure set. Those should go quite well with your Tiger!
I have that set and it is already in use with my 1/35 armor.. The hatches are all detailed and the turret has the seats.. The turret is also painted in the inside.. I don't know about the hull seats though..
-Howard Stark

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:55 pm

Might I presume that the turret can come off?
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:54 am

So these are hitting the stores now, everywhere?

Is there any metal content, Harry?

Pics??? Pics!!! Thanks buddy.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

digger

Tiger I

Post by digger » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 am

Football, do you mean the Tiger? It is at BCA with a great composite pic. As for the diecast: "Sturdy die cast hull"

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:52 am

hworth18 wrote:

On a side note, I am curious as to why Dragon would go this route knowing that they could eventually hurt the plastic model industry in which they are a major player in.. I mean, why buy a kit when you can pay $30 more and get one already built "better" than you could do it yourself??? :?
This won't effect the kit sales at all, as collectors and collector/builders are two different types of people. Most hardcore model builders frown upon companies like Tamiya (Master Works) and now Dragon, for releasing built up kits, and they commonly refer to said pieces as "Toys". I collect and I build, and I find it both fun and challenging to build kits and then be able to show off my work (actually haven't been to Nat'l Competition in over two years, but may this Summer). I don't believe Dragons new line will hurt the 35th kit sales due to those reasons listed.

My $0.02 and worth every damn penny :-)

hworth18

Re: Tiger I

Post by hworth18 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:12 am

digger wrote:Football, do you mean the Tiger? It is at BCA with a great composite pic. As for the diecast: "Sturdy die cast hull"
Okay, I had a chance to get a really good look at mine tonight.. The lower hull is all metal, with the deckplates and turrets plastic.. :wink:

Which honestly, I could care less.. It's not like I am going to pick this up on a regular basis and it's hard to judge metal content when you're just looking at it.. :wink:
-Howard Stark

digger

new tiger

Post by digger » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:11 am

Hey, I'm just the messenger. I just pasted what it said. :P
I don't care either way and the only thing pushing me towards buying one is how often are you around at the beginning, you know what I mean? I may just have to closet one of those. 8)

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

well

Post by WGP Klaus » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:24 am

found the new Dragon Tiger today and picked it up simply because it was new, and pound for pound, the detail is almost as good as found on the Tamiya MW's, and for $60.00, less than half the cost of the Tamiya pieces.
Looking forward to future releases.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Considering how much the first 1/72nd scale Tiger is going for these days, I would have to say this tank could be a pretty good investment. As for hurting the plastic model market, I don't think it will effect it at all. Most military modelers are "hard core" utilizing photo etched parts and after market accessories such as metal barrels and custom conversion kits. I used to do this kind of detail work when I was in high school, but I no longer have the time. It is obvious that Dragon is after the Tamiya market share by making this tank 1/35th scale and not 1/32nd scale. I got mine about a week ago and I think it looks great.
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:34 pm

KAMIKAZE wrote:Considering how much the first 1/72nd scale Tiger is going for these days, I would have to say this tank could be a pretty good investment.
Maybe, but talking to a Dragon Models rep last week, I found out that Dragon USA has another huge shipment of these 1/35 Tiger I tanks arriving in February or March. You never know way down the road, but there should be no shortage of them any time soon.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:49 pm

I don't see this being a "limited" edition, worthy of "investment" potential, but it is VERY NICE and well worth the money IMHO... :wink:
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:33 pm

The Hobbytown store in Fresno, which has a very nice selection of Dragon products, has four of the new 1/35 Tigers. The tank looked darn nice, but is far too expensive for me for such a small piece. Still, I just thought I'd make the report!

Trojan99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Trojan99 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:07 pm

I just got an email from a dealer that Dragon Models severely undercut production of the Dragon Armor 1:35 Scale Tiger I Early Production DRR 61001. He said they were told that the official release would be in March 2006 and he found out today that there will not be anymore of this item available.

Tim

Gambit
Corporal
Corporal

Dragon Tank

Post by Gambit » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:28 pm

Seems to be some confusion on this as I was told by a Dragon Rep that the main shipment should be distributed next week or so. Some dealers have already received their allocation from a shipment that arrived earlier by air and the rest of the tanks were sent by ship. They are in short supply and dealers cannot expect a re-stock.
I guess we'll find out soon enough.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

1:35 Tiger

Post by lightning2000 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Hi,
Trojan is correct. Dragon informed us late this week that every dealer's order was being cut dramatically and that this would be their last shipment of the 1:35 Tiger. Supposedly, they dont plan to make anymore, at least in this livery/version. We aren't getting what we had on order and will do our best to fill as many orders as possible that have already been placed for this item.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Trojan99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Trojan99 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:10 pm

This all seems very strange for the initial vehicle of a brand new line. Could this mean that their 1/35 Tiger didn't meet expectations and they dropped the whole line?

Tim

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:05 pm

My people said the same thing. Their order was cut in half.
This all seems very strange for the initial vehicle of a brand new line. Could this mean that their 1/35 Tiger didn't meet expectations and they dropped the whole line?
I doubt it. They sold out of everything in the first wave.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dragon Tiger I - 61001 (orders being cut / sold out)

Post by smh_1021 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:17 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just heard the same thing today - partial orders of 1/35th scale Tiger I are currently being shipped and there will be no more beyond that. The 61001 Tiger will be sold out.

gehena
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gehena » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:31 pm

I also think that it will be sold out. In any case the difference with the 1/72 model is obviously the price. The 1/35 will only be bought by us crazy people dreaming with tanks and a couple of "money seekers".

In any case the model is incredible. The numbering is flawless, the weathering is great and the only mistake I could find is the lack of wire from the smoke launchers (not from the headlights, though)

Great work
el fiero turco en lepanto
en la tercera el frances
y en todo el mar el ingles
tuvieron de verme espanto

Trojan99
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Trojan99 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:41 pm

The Atlantic Toys website shows the Tiger 1 for $54.95. Not too bad compared to the action on eBay.

Tim

http://atlantictoys.safeshopper.com/688/3763.htm?968