New Hobby Master F-14 Available

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

New Hobby Master F-14 Available

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Looks like the new Hobby Master F-14, VF-211 Fighting Checkmates, is now available: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/HM-HA5201

From the pictures on Flying Mule's website, it appears to be a great-looking plane and I like the scheme. Also a nice historical note with the plane being among the last F-14s to serve on the USS Enterprise. However, the Hobby Master F-14 sure looks a lot like the Century Wings tooling (and thereby the FOV retooled F-14 for that matter). At $135, it's a little cheaper than the Century Wings model, which is listed for $150, for what is probably the same thing.

Again, I have to ask, was another F-14 model truly needed? I've got a couple of the FOV retooled F-14s, which are also based on the CW tooling, so don't really see the need to jump on this as it doesn't really offer anything more in terms of detail and accessories. If Hobby Master did a "Top Gun" F-14, I'd probably bite (and I know there's another company making one...) but otherwise, I'll pass.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: New Hobby Master F-14 Available

Post by cnq » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:46 pm

I think you're right that this HM F14 looks identical to the CW F14 including the big gap on the fuselage :D . I have only one F14 from FoV and that's enough for me. If they make the Sukhoi Su 33 Sea Flanker or Su 47 I'll bite.

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm waiting on the 2nd release F-14 scheme. I guess HM realized the prices for the CW Tomcats (new and old) and wanted to cash in on the Tomcats. You know if they make a Jolly Rogers it'll be sold out. Didn't they fix the gap on the fuselage for the 2nd HM Tomcat?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:30 pm

If I'm not mistaken this is the Century Wings Tomcat tooling. :?:

HM is addressing the gaps on the fuselage on the second release.

I pre-ordered the second release. My first 1:72 die cast Tomcat. The recent release Century Wings F-14 is pretty gaudy looking, and older releases worth getting have gone way up in price.

Like the understated look of the next Hobby Master Tomcat.. Low vis, Felix the Cat on the tail. Think it's a winner. Guess we'll find out.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:06 am

I broke down and got one of the Hobby Master 1/72 scale F-14s the other day from my local Hobbytown USA store. I picked up the newly-released VF-84 Jolly Rogers model as I've always been a sucker for that squadron's livery. I already have two of the retooled Forces of Valor F-14s in 1/72 scale, including one in VF-84 markings.

What surprised me was how similar both models are in tooling. The new Hobby Master plane is nearly identical to the old Forces of Valor one, right down to the same hardpoints/holes, parts, accessories, and other details. Even the mounting brackets on the display stands are similar. You can see the tooling similarities in the comparison shot of each plane below.

Comparison Shot: Hobby Master F-14 (L) vs. FOV F-14 (R)

The similarities must be because both are based on the definitive Century Wings F-14 tooling. You can even fit parts from the FOV model on the HM model and vice versa. The HM plane actually comes with fewer accessories than the FOV model with just 2x sidewinders, 2x sparrow missiles, 4x Phoenix missiles, 1x camera pod, 2x drop tanks, and the rails and landing gear pieces. The FOV model came with 2x sidewinders, 6x Sparrow missiles, 4x Phoenix missiles, Camera pod, plus the missile rails drop tanks, and landing gear pieces, so one can have more loadout variations. The figures in the FOV plane are fixed in their seats and do not have the correct color helmets. The figures in the HM plane are removable and have yellow helmets.

In terms of paint, the HM plane is an earlier VF-84 F-14 scheme from the 1970s while the FOV model replicates a plane from the late 1980s/early 1990s. The HM F-14 has the better paint applications overall, though it's coat is a bit glossy. The FOV plane has a flatter coat of paint, seems to have more of the smaller stenciling details, but lacks the "AJ" squadron codes on the tails for some reason.

As for other comparative features, the canopy tooling is different on each with the FOV plane having a much more robust and noticeable hinge behind the canopy. The HM plane has the correct slant to the tails while the FOV plane's tails are more straight. The overall finish on the HM plane is much smoother - there are few gaps and the screw covers are flush. The FOV model has some gaps and visible screw covers inside the intakes, but really isn't that bad considering some of the other FOV aircraft.

Underside Comparison Shot: Hobby Master F-14 (L) vs. FOV F-14 (R)

So what is my overall point? The Hobby Master F-14 is an excellent model that basically replicates the Century Wings plane for a somewhat smaller price tag. The FOV retooled F-14s (which date back to 2008 or thereabouts) are perhaps an even better bargain as they are basically the same as the Hobby Master and Century Wings models, but for a good deal less in cost. Although the FOV models are now OOP, you can still find them rather cheap - prices on eBay range from $30-$80 at the time of this posting, compared to the $110-$150 cost of the Hobby Master and Century Wings models.

But I am happy with my Hobby Master F-14 and intend to keep it :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:36 am

I too, bought the newer Hobbymaster F-14. I also have the FOV F-14 and it has a "205" on the nose...

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:15 am

I'm waiting for this F14 to come out in December. It looks very promising.

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CL-CA721401