First pics of AF1 B-25 appear

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

First pics of AF1 B-25 appear

Post by aferguson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:15 pm

One member states the pics are of the final product but I think it's still not the finished product. Time will tell. It looks decent.

http://tdhp.fr.yuku.com/topic/20306/New ... l0eeRtdFfw
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: First pics of AF1 B-25 appear

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks for sharing! It does look much better than I was expecting, especially after the 1:144 B-29 letdown. I still like my Corgi Doolittle Raid B-25 better, and don't plan to get the AF1 B-25, but really this is a very nice alternative if one doesn't want to spend big bucks. Gives me hope that the upcoming AF1 B-17G will come out looking decent as well and I intend to get that when it's available.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm

i'm the same. I don't plan to buy this one (but have hopes for subsequent AF! B-25 releases, such as an early war gunship version) but was interested in it in so far that it may show how good (or ungood) the B-17 will be. Except for the turret, I think they've done a pretty good job. Not sure why they seem to have problems with turrets, though.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm pretty much the same. Have the second release Corgi Doolittle Raider so pass for me.

Does have possibilities though. About the price of a Hobby Master 1:72 twin.
I'm hoping they make an all tan MTO version or something else I don't already have.

Got the B-17 on pre-order...crossing my fingers.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pmmaker » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:57 am

I have the original Corgi Doolittle bomber so I really don't need to buy one of these.

The model looks okay for the cost and if a new collector can't find a Corgi one (or doesn't feel like paying through the nose for one), this model would be a good addition.

If I do buy one of these, it is to do a complete Code 3 repaint into a MTO desert tan version. Repainting / redecaling die-cast models is one passion I enjoy so I might take the plunge.

pmmaker
The best models to own are the ones YOU like. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:54 am

In some ways, the AF1 model is better than the Corgi. Corgi has a few detail errors on their Doolittle Mitchels that AF1 got right.

- prop tips should not be yellow (they were painted black to keep the visibility of the planes on deck, with engines running, to a minimum)

-de-icing boots inboard of the nacelles should be asymmetric in appearance, as seen on the AF1 model (Corgi doesn't have them painted at all)

- Doolittle's plane should not have a nose gun (Corgi's model does, AF1 does not, correctly). Interestingly, Ruptured Duck SHOULD have a nose gun (it was further back on the flight deck and had a longer take off run, so could carry the extra weight) but Corgi's model does not come with one because Corgi took a lot of flak over including one on the Doolittle model, but they ended up getting it wrong again.

Overall the AF1 model is good. The lack of retracted u/'c option on this model is bad though and the turret looks odd.

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pmmaker » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:49 am

All good points aferguson.

My Corgi Doolittle plane HAD those issues you listed originally, but I rectified them. I can't resell my model now, but that's ok - I don't really want to anyways.

If I get the AF1 version, the extended landing gear isn't an issue as I'd put her on the ground anyway. Repainting it as a desert scheme plane would give me a unique model.

pmmaker
The best models to own are the ones YOU like. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm

These are starting to appear on Ebay from Chinese sellers, so it should be available generally in 4-6 weeks or so. I'm looking forward to seeing some better pics of it.

It would be interesting to get 16 of these, wouldn't it.