A few annoying questions lumped in one spot...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

A few annoying questions lumped in one spot...

Post by krieglok » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:37 am

Hi again. I am on a brief collecting spree of Cold War era aircraft, mainly in 1/72. I have a couple different questions which I am lumping together here....

I have a number of Hobbymaster jets. I solved my loose parts problem with the help of the members here. One thing I was wondering was what the tiny wire "pick" with the loop on one end is for? I was guessing for pulling open the closed landing gear doors when swapping them with the open option...

I also have a few Wittywings jets. None come with stands. I have an F-15, EA-18G and a Russian Flanker. The Flanker stands seem abundant on line but none for the other aircraft. Any suggestions about after market stands?

Finally, not Cold War related, but does anyone produce 1/48 seated pilot figures? I have all my 1/48 21st Century planes with no pilots. I was thinking of trying to cast some myself but wouldn't know where to start...

Tom

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: A few annoying questions lumped in one spot...

Post by aferguson » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:40 am

the wire pick is for pulling out the closed undercarriage door options, as well as the little plug that fills the hole on the underside of the fuselage, where the stand fits into, when not in use.

I have used Witty stands on a few aircraft for which they were not intended; many others have too. However i doubt the Su 27 stand will be usable for the F-15 or Growler, as their nozzles are much closer together than the Flanker's. No suggestions for locating stands but i would think an online search should find them, i really doubt they are difficult to find.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Try VladsToys on eBay, I remember seeing some at his shop last time i was there. If there's none listed on his page send him a message on eBay, sometimes he hasn't had a chance to list certain things.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:41 am

Vlads....okay I will ask him. I have bought some planes and copters from him before. Some great deals there. Thanks!

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pmmaker » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:11 am

Here is an answer to your last question:

Hobby Master did make a set of 1/48th scale WWII pilots. They weren't "exactly" 48th scale, but they were close enough. The set included 3 US pilots and 2 British pilots. They are EXTREMELY hard to find. Try this link:

http://www.eztoys.com/accessories.html? ... 41&scale=6

Also Aiken's sells 48th scale Marushin Japanese pilots that will work in your models. I bought one for my 21st Century Ki-61 Hien model.

Lastly, check eBay. There are manufacturers who make resin and plastic figures. ICM makes great sets of WWII ground crew which may or may not include a sitting pilot and they are readily available. If you go this route, be prepared to do some painting.

pmmaker
The best models to own are the ones YOU like. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Thanks for the leads. I will give them a try...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:37 pm

pmmaker wrote: Hobby Master did make a set of 1/48th scale WWII pilots. They weren't "exactly" 48th scale, but they were close enough. The set included 3 US pilots and 2 British pilots. They are EXTREMELY hard to find.
No kidding on those being hard to find! I bought a few packages of them when they were available at Flying Mule and other places, but can't seem to find them anywhere now. I use them in Franklin Mint 1:48 WWII bombers; 21c 1:48 planes, etc. One can never have enough seated and painted WWII pilots. Really wish HM would release these again and perhaps include some of the German pilot figures as well...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pmmaker » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:52 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
pmmaker wrote: Hobby Master did make a set of 1/48th scale WWII pilots. They weren't "exactly" 48th scale, but they were close enough. The set included 3 US pilots and 2 British pilots. They are EXTREMELY hard to find.
No kidding on those being hard to find! I bought a few packages of them when they were available at Flying Mule and other places, but can't seem to find them anywhere now. I use them in Franklin Mint 1:48 WWII bombers; 21c 1:48 planes, etc. One can never have enough seated and painted WWII pilots. Really wish HM would release these again and perhaps include some of the German pilot figures as well...
Finding pilots for kit builds poses the same problems. I found an eBay seller who casts his own WWI - early WWII figures out of resin. The price for two figures isn't that bad. If you don't mind painting them, they are a good value. Here is his listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321855523803?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I just painted mine. Here is what they look like painted:

pmmaker
The best models to own are the ones YOU like. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:10 am

Thanks! I saw them and have a couple pair coming. They are resin castings I guess...they should work fine.