First pic of AF-1 Hawkeye

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

First pic of AF-1 Hawkeye

Post by aferguson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:13 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-ORDER-Air-F ... 690wt_1153

I assume this is a photo of a pre production model, since it's for a pre-order from a Hong Kong based seller, which means the plane is probably just going into production now.

Looks pretty good to me. Got TRASHED on the Yuku Pub forum....but those goofballs trash everything that isn't Hobby Master. The red propeller warning line on the fuselage is a sticker, but as i said, this is probably a pre production model. Will most likely be about 3/4 the price of the upcoming HM (which represents the Hawkeye 2000, a bit different version than the AF1).

Overall i think it looks pretty decent, though it's hard to tell from on blurry pic. The nose and rest of the fuselage look a bit different in shade to me, which gives me pause.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: First pic of AF-1 Hawkeye

Post by pmmaker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:43 am

aferguson wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-ORDER-Air-F ... 690wt_1153

I assume this is a photo of a pre production model, since it's for a pre-order from a Hong Kong based seller, which means the plane is probably just going into production now.

Looks pretty good to me. Got TRASHED on the Yuku Pub forum....but those goofballs trash everything that isn't Hobby Master. The red propeller warning line on the fuselage is a sticker, but as i said, this is probably a pre production model. Will most likely be about 3/4 the price of the upcoming HM (which represents the Hawkeye 2000, a bit different version than the AF1).

Overall i think it looks pretty decent, though it's hard to tell from on blurry pic. The nose and rest of the fuselage look a bit different in shade to me, which gives me pause.

Have to agree with you aferguson as the AF1 Hawkeye doesn't look all bad for the price. Not every collector can afford a "high end" price for a "high end" model. Some of us are quite happy with less detail for a lower price. Now if the AF1 Hawkeye is priced the same as the HM Hawkeye, I'll definitely spend money for the better model. But an acceptable model for less money will always get my attention.

Saw something similar to this a few years back when HM and Gemini Wings went head-to-head with the A-1 Skyraider.

pmmaker
The best models to own are the ones YOU like. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:44 am

agreed. The obvious bias on other diecast forums really gets tiresome. I'm certain some of the posters are getting perks from HM (or Corgi) or perhaps even work for them. Instantaneous bashing of competing products is the clue in.

Most collectors should be delighted AF1 is on the scene and be supporting them. Diecast aiplane collecting has pretty much become a 2 horse race; Hobby Master and Corgi and prices are climbing with every new release, despite the fact the main drivers of the price increases of a few years ago, oil and Chinese labor costs, have both come way down.

More competition means lower prices and better quality all around.

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pmmaker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 am

I try not to let the "bashing" of every model that goes on on some forums bother me. Sometimes the complaint is justified because there is a real major inaccuracy to the mold or markings. But often the "bashing" is done just for the sake of finding something (anything) wrong with a model just because everyone thinks that is what should happen.

I try to look on the positive side of every die-cast model and plastic kit. Even a less detailed model with some issues is better than no model at all. Even my plastic kit builds have issues.

The AF1 Hawkeye is still an unknown commodity. We really haven't seen any real good pictures of the finished model. For me, it is best to wait and see what the final product looks like before I pass judgement.

pmmaker
The best models to own are the ones YOU like. Don't let anyone's opinion change your mind.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:48 am

check the link again.

the seller has put up new pics of what is probably the production model and it looks great. No stickers, no colour match issues. Looking forward to getting one..

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

What shipping lane do they navigate...?

Post by c44 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Personally, I think it's a great deal for the price, even with $35 shipping...
now the next factor in the equation: has anyone ordered from this dealer?
I've only ordered from Honk Kong once (and from a different dealer at that) and was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got the merchandise...
but to buy as a pre-order from a non-North American dealer, I dunno, we know about projected release dates, and Hong Kong's far from home...I think I'd have nightmares about the thing landing up in the hands of some Somali pirate's kid... :)
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 pm

just wait.......you'll be able to get it $10 cheaper in time..he always charges higher for preorders.....maybe less if you contact the seller and buy direct.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:34 pm

aferguson wrote:agreed. The obvious bias on other diecast forums really gets tiresome. I'm certain some of the posters are getting perks from HM (or Corgi) or perhaps even work for them. Instantaneous bashing of competing products is the clue in.

Most collectors should be delighted AF1 is on the scene and be supporting them. Diecast aiplane collecting has pretty much become a 2 horse race; Hobby Master and Corgi and prices are climbing with every new release, despite the fact the main drivers of the price increases of a few years ago, oil and Chinese labor costs, have both come way down.

More competition means lower prices and better quality all around.
Glad someone is saying what I've thought for a while now. Oh and god forbid you mention anything new WWII in 1:72 and Hobby Master in the same sentence. Take that specific topic on the scale and the era, and along come the off topic comments and bashing, wish this was made in 1:48, wish for another jet...etc., can't even stay on topic. :roll:
Smells of shills plain and simple, but you'll fit in real good if you tow the party line.

Anyways, I probably won't be buying this, as I usually stick to WWII and earlier with a few Korean War, but it's nice to see some competition. Can't wait till we see the B-17 and B-25, and some new 1:72 fighters from Corgi again. Don't bring that up either, or you'll literally get comments like "WWII fighter subjects are better served by other manufacturers". I kid you not.

...rant.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 pm

yeah, well i'm not going to bother anymore. When i posted the link for the new Hawkeye pics i figured everyone would be impressed and say that it looked good etc. Boy was i mistaken The bashing got WORSE. One guy even magnified the pics by 4X and pointed out micro little imperfections in the metal. Unreal.

At this point i'm just going to visit the forum for news, pics and to ask important questions i have. No more joining in discussions. I'll leave them to fester...

pmmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pmmaker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:33 am

aferguson wrote:yeah, well i'm not going to bother anymore. When i posted the link for the new Hawkeye pics i figured everyone would be impressed and say that it looked good etc. Boy was i mistaken The bashing got WORSE. One guy even magnified the pics by 4X and pointed out micro little imperfections in the metal. Unreal.

At this point i'm just going to visit the forum for news, pics and to ask important questions i have. No more joining in discussions. I'll leave them to fester...
A shame really as your posts are well done. I know because I visit there every so often and read some threads.

No, I am not a member of the mainstream die-cast forums mostly for the same reasons which you and Dauntless have described.

One reason I decided to join here was because over the past couple of years of my visiting this site, I noticed a more congenial atmosphere without a focus on finding every possible fault with whatever model or product that was being discussed. That is VERY important to me in a forum.

The new Hawkeye from AF1 many not be perfect, but the scheme is attractive and it is a good enough model for many I'm sure.

pmmaker

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:01 am

i have high hopes for the upcoming AF1 B-17 and the fact that the Hawkeye is pretty decent and that the P-61 was also a good model, is supporting those hopes. I'm sure it will be betterr than the Corgi, which is really not a great model.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:52 am

Yeah not much you can do about a site that's been there for a long time with imbedded attitude before I ever joined, but at least good for news and a few worthwhile conversations with some cool people.

AF1 seem to have no problem competing with Hobby Master and with a very recent release of the Hawkeye. That's going toe to toe with something that is bound to be nice by HM.
How much more so with old and outdated overpriced relics of the die cast past like the Corgi B-17.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Pics are out of the HM Hawkeye. Looks really good too. I may have to get one of each.

http://hobbymastercollector.com/HA4801.html

snake

Post by snake » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:42 pm

HM Hawkeye does look a very good model, and glad numerous small corrections were done, to get it right.

However, the first scheme is certainly not for me.

Hopefully the second release will be more to my taste, knowing the basic model itself is good :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:20 am

2nd release is a JSDF scheme and third is French AF scheme. No new US schemes announced yet, though there will be several eventually.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 pm

aferguson wrote:2nd release is a JSDF scheme and third is French AF scheme. No new US schemes announced yet, though there will be several eventually.

Well, those don't interest me much either, but I do applaud HM for giving international collectors these options.

I can wait until a decent USN scheme is done, and it looks like HM is releasing some "less desirable" options early, which they do sometimes. It is a business plan that makes sense.

I am more interested in the great looking RA-5C Vigilante anyway, and have had that pre ordered for months. First release should be here very soon. 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:21 pm

in fact it has been released, at least some Hong Kong sellers have had them for sale for about a week now. It does look pretty good.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:57 pm

aferguson wrote:in fact it has been released, at least some Hong Kong sellers have had them for sale for about a week now. It does look pretty good.

Yeah. If you want to be the first in line to pick up a specific model, best to go through Hong Kong dealers, as they get their shipments far ahead of North America. Couple of weeks anyway.

And I know shipping to Canada from Hong Kong is pretty much the same cost as shipping from the US. Go figure.

HM model looks great, which is the good news.

I just don't like the first USN scheme. Looks like a bicentennial aircraft, and definitely not to my tastes. Some may love it, but a pass from me.

Probably only one Hawkeye for me, so happy to wait until I see a good USN scheme that I like. Hopefully won't have to wait too long.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:09 pm

actually i was referring to the RA-5C.....it's just been released. The HM Hawkeye won't be out for a few months yet.

snake

Post by snake » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:34 pm

aferguson wrote:actually i was referring to the RA-5C.....it's just been released. The HM Hawkeye won't be out for a few months yet.

:lol:

That too. :wink:

Have the Vigilante pre ordered months ago, through my favourite Canadian retailer. Save close to $20 on shipping, and don't mind waiting an extra couple of weeks.

Looks like HM did a fantastic job on this much wanted model, and it also went through quite a few tweaks, before being released.

How nice is this. 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:52 am

who's your favorite Canadian retailer, Snake?

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:09 am

aferguson wrote:who's your favorite Canadian retailer, Snake?
Merritec.

Scott runs it, and will give you great service.

For a Canadian collector, makes much more sense going through him, than other US retailers. Save a bit on shipping as well, compared to US and Hong Kong.

You want a new HM, CW etc, give him a shout. :wink:

http://www.merritecdiecast.com/

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:27 am

ah, Merritec........yes i've purchased there.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:17 am

Interesting turn of events: Hobby Master has released final production pics of the Hawkeye. They copied the markings from a model kit. However, it seems they unwittingly also copied the manufacturer's label for the plane as well. If you look at the overhead pic, you'll see on the disc it has text from the decal sheet, whiich of course is not supposed to be put onto the model and is of course not on the real plane. The model is or is about to go into production, so i don't know if they can do anything about it now.

This is a pretty major cock-up. The only thing worse would have been printing something like 'copyright hasegawa 2011' on the model. Fact stranger than fiction.

http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/HA4801.html

Here's the decal sheet they copied from, it's Authentic Models:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook ... cal_02.jpg

Pretty funny stuff. This will go into the Hall of Fame of diecast screw ups. I bet the AF1 Hawkeye ain't lookin' so bad, now, is it?

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

I wonder if they can spell "inept"...

Post by c44 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:53 pm

We may see some clearance prices on it from day 1...
hey, apply a little white-out, you get a great looking piece...:roll:
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...