Finally got an Arrow!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Finally got an Arrow!

Post by aferguson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:12 pm

i finally got one of the Hobby Master CWH Avro Arrows. Cost alot, $130 plus shipping but that's better than the $300 plus shipping (!) i've seen them go for. It arrived today, in a much bigger box than i was expecting....rivals the Corgi TSR-2 in size.

I got the first issue one, with the day-glo orange trim, which i like the best. It is my understanding the other one (all white) had an optional open canopy that this one doesn't have, so i may get it some day as well, if i can find it at a 'good' price....lol.

Anyway, it's a beauty model and will display nicely along side my TSR. Just needs to be a pre-built Valkyrie come along now...i think those 3 would look amazing displayed together....may have to resort to building a kit of one.......yech.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Finally got an Arrow!

Post by snake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Nice addition Aferg, and almost a must have for any Canadian collector.

I picked up the day glo orange one myself, which was the first release, back when they were first available. Like the looks better than the all white, and went through the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum to purchase online. Figured I would give the museum my business, and have bought a couple of other Canadian jets through them as well.

It was a bit bigger than I expected, and you could clearly see that Hobby Master were the manufacturer, even though it was marketed as a CWHM model. Well done to both parties for coming together and giving us this iconic jet. :D

Dragon did the XB-70 Valkyrie, but it was in 1/144, and not that great, unfortunately.

Glad to see the CWHM Arrows doing well on the secondary market. 8)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Hobby Master made an Avro Arrow?

OK, just looked it up... Pretty cool!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Post by snake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:27 pm

It was a commission Tman.

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum approached HM to do this iconic Canadian aircraft, and it is marketed as a CWHM model, and says so on the packaging. Don't think HM is even mentioned on the box in the fine print, but the stand gives it away, as does the packaging style.

Think it was a great idea, and CWHM now have their own line of top quality diecast models, albeit built by HM.

Am sure CWHM would have fronted the costs, and risk, but good to see HM do this for them, and without taking the credit for it.

One way to get a particular model made, and from a highly rated manufacturer too.

Without CWHM pushing for this Avro Arrow, doubt we would see it in diecast, at least for a while.

So, well done to both parties involved in this venture, and the Arrow has been pretty sucessful, worldwide.

What's not to like 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:35 pm

The Arrow was the only diecast commissioned by CWHM, was it not? I don't know of any others, unless they are repaints of existing models. They were going to do a CT-133 but then Falcon came out with one and that was that.

The Arrow has been a surprisingly popular model and probably fetches the highest after market price of any HM model. The average i saw was about $300 plus shipping; although i did see one (no box) go for $90 plus shipping and i got mine for $130 plus shipping via a 'buy it now'.

It's a super model and the second version released (all white...no day glo orange) has an alternate open canopy option...the Arrow's canopy opened in an unusual way so it would be a good one to get too. But when i think of the Arrow, i think of the day-glo orange scheme.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

snake

Post by snake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:53 pm

As a "true commission", I think the Arrow was it. Aferg.

Know they { Hobby Master} did some Canadian Harvards, that have a definite link as well, but for what we are talking about, think this is a one off, as far as HM is concerned.

Back in their earlier days, and not sure if they would be open to doing it today.

Anyway, it is a great model, of an important aircraft, and a Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum release. :mrgreen:

Although, HM were there to make sure it was done well.

Really not surprising that these go for good money.

It was, and is, a helluva model. 8)

What an aircraft.