Yat Ming 1/72 X-32 JSF

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Yat Ming 1/72 X-32 JSF

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am

Here's a fun one. A prebuilt diecast of the Boeing X-32 JSF entry. Unlike Yat Ming's other prebuilt airplanes, which are ghastly, this one isn't bad. Shape is pretty good, markings and colours pretty accurate.

Detailing is basic but it's such an unusual subject to see in prebuilt diecast form it makes up for some evils. Other than this German seller i could only find them available for sale in Russia. Chubby and cute.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boeing-X-32A-JS ... 408wt_1105
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

snake
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Yat Ming 1/72 X-32 JSF

Post by snake » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Ghastly looking X plane, and an embarrassment for Boeing, I would think.

For a cheap, and unusual model, it doesn't look too bad though.

Those interested in X planes might be keen on this one.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: Yat Ming 1/72 X-32 JSF

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:33 am

i wouldn't say it was an embarrassment. It had many innovative technologies, several of which were applied to the Super Hornet. It has been judged harshly by its odd looks but it looked like it did to be more efficient.

In order to cater to all the JSF demands, Boeing tried an 'all in one' design, whereby they used a large delta wing (needed for the navy variant) and the STOVL lift jets built in (needed for the Marines). The problem was the wing was heavy and the lift jet required a giant air intake for the centrally placed main engine (which was also used for hovering and vertical landing). It was this weight problem that lost it the JSF contract.

The F-35 went a totally different route, with 'snap on' components resulting in 3 somewhat different designs, for the 3 services. Given the giant cost over runs and delays/problems with the F-35, Lockheed's approach doesn't seem to be all that successful either.

The lesson has been learned once again, that trying to make one airplane that is a jack of all trades for all services will result in a design that is expensive, problem filled and mediocre in most roles (a la F-111).
i never met an airplane i didn't like...