opinions on new Corgi Ju-88 AA36709

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

opinions on new Corgi Ju-88 AA36709

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm undecided as to whether to get this model or not and would appreciate opinions from fellow collectors. While i think the scheme is a bit ugly, i do like the fact that it's a Ju-88 torpedo bomber.

It's mostly the upper surface grey blotches that are putting me off....the wellenmuster undersides i like.

What say ye?

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA36709

http://vimeo.com/115693776
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: opinions on new Corgi Ju-88 AA36709

Post by tparkhere » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Bought it. Didn't even bother to take out the plane. But it looks good. It went straight to the storage boxes to be with other Corgi JU-88s. At this point, it seems like I am collecting boxes and not diecast.

FYI. If you really want to buy it, then get it now from Pete's Collectible. He is having "End of the year sale." The plane is listed as $88. If you put in the discount code (10% off), you can buy it for $80. You cannot beat the price. Also, any order over $50, it's free shipping.

Vendors frown when we give out the discount code. If you email him, he will let you know the discount code.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:03 am

As there doesn't seem to be a useful picture of the actual scheme in this case it is possible that it was originally a sand over light blue-gray bird that got supplemental squiggles and blotches for anti-ship torpedo bombing roles. Also, there is an artist's rendition that looks like the Corgi model, with dark gray blotches of the upper surface. But that proves nothing.

In my opinion, the sand color Corgi's factory used is passable but the gray blotches are too dark. More likely the actual color was RLM 78, the Luftwaffe's version of Azure Blue for use on under surfaces in the Mediterranean theater. Also, the seam gap along the fuselage on this model is rather unsightly. So, if you are willing to make changes to the model, I think it's a good buy; if not, I'd pass.

I made the mods I mentioned-----minimizing the seam gaps and altering the color of the upper surface blotches, plus my usual staining-----with this result:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:04 am

that looks quite a bit better and far more plausible then the primer grey corgi used. Well done.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:03 am

The fact it's a torpedo bomber is the only thing that would make me buy it, but I can't get over how fugly it is, and the gaps show up way too much. if it looked like Epaps maybe.

There are some of the others still available, so maybe get a dark colored one or wait for a BoB version, or do without.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Not my choice for a Ju88, and the Corgi effort on the top sides looks pretty amateurish.

About the only saving grace would be it being a torpedo bomber.

Corgi Ju88 is a decent model, but not their best medium. Shame, as it was widely used in all sorts of roles, and an important Luftwaffe aircraft.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:00 pm

so I finally got around to getting one of these. I was doing a bit of research online and wonder if the grey is supposed to be green, somewhat like this aircraft:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 161544.jpg

I couldn't find any pics of the actual plane.....does anyone know if they exist? The artwork must be based on something:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/316/pics/2_34.jpg

I did read that most torpedo attacks occurred in low light conditions, ie sunrise or sunset hours. This could explain why a dark colour was used on top and over the markings as sort of a twilight camouflage. Would love to see a pic of the actual plane if anyone knows of one.

coogrfan
Corporal
Corporal

Post by coogrfan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:30 pm

I don't think this is the same aircraft, but at least we can be sure that the Corgi versions underside scheme has at least some basis in fact.