BBI 1/32 Prototype SBD Dauntless

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI 1/32 Prototype SBD Dauntless

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Greetings:

I haven't posted here much but recently acquired something worth posting. Everyone knows that I love the SBD and have a family connection to this amazing aircraft. I came across this mysterious model and purchased it about a month ago. The person I acquired it from tells me this was a dealer sample of the 1/32 SBD Dauntless that was offered to us several years ago.

Here are some pictures. Enjoy.

Corey

If everyone remembers, many years ago when BBI first released the news they would be releasing the SBD, they showed a color scheme in box art with a red bordered U.S. insignia. When we got the airplane, the model had been changed to a much later color scheme with the late war blue bordered insignia. As you can see, this factory prototype was painted with the red bordered insignia scheme indicating BBI had plans to make the model in this color scheme. The color scheme can be traced to an airplane from the USS Lexington during the 1943 raids on the Marshall Islands. This color scheme is very striking and stands out.

The model is very similar to the SBD's we got in terms of construction and parts make up. But there are some subtle differences. More on the differences in a bit.

One of the biggest differences between this prototype and the actual version we got is the box. This dealer sample came fully assembled in a large box with the wings already attached. The smaller detail parts were simply hot glued into the box indicating they had never been put on. It also indicates at the stage this sample was shown to dealers, BBI had not completed the design of the packaging for the smaller parts. At some point in time, maybe to save in costs, BBI decided to go with the smaller box and have most of the model unassembled, like the retail version we got.

The dealer sample and the actual model we got together for a picture. The two models together reveal some significant differences. The dealer sample lacks the reinforcing metal pins in the landing gear that the retail version has. As a result, the sample has much more unstable landing gear. I imagine BBI made this adjustment for the production version to strengthen the gear. You will also notice the prototype does not have the no step areas painted on the wings. The figures are also a darker color on the dealer prototype.

The dealer sample had some combat damage when I acquired it. The rear machine gun piece was missing and the tailwheel had gone missing along the way. The landing gear and main wings also fit very loosely. As I wanted to display the model, I added some super glue to the landing gear not to hold them down fixed, but to make the joint tighter so they were more stable. This worked well. I also acquired a tailwheel and rear machine gun part from a retail version of the BBI model to fix the prototype. The prototype now displays nicely and properly. I'm glad to have such a unique model of the Dauntless in my collection. The colors are very striking and it would have been neat to see BBI produce this color scheme of the model.
Last edited by Coreyeagle48 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Dauntless

Re: BBI 1/32 Prototype SBD Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Wow! :shock: I remember this was the original scheme they were going to release and we got the other one instead.

What a nice and rare find, thanks for sharing.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:06 am

I agree. Really neat thread and a nice purchase. Thanks for sharing.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:20 am

Very cool
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 pm

The BBI Dauntless and the 21st CENT Thunderbolt,
are the only two aircraft still on my hit list.
How much did you score it for?

Plastic General

snake

Post by snake » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Great aquisition Corey. 8)

A real shame that BBI only did one 1/132 Dauntless, as it is a pretty good model.

Definitely prefer the prototype scheme, and that must be a pretty rare find.

Sounds like you have it fixed good as new Corey, and must be one of your favourite display pieces.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:08 pm

COREYEAGLE:

Congratulations on a lucky strike with the Dauntless prototype.
BBI also was advertising a 1/32 Vietnam F-104 Starfighter that never saw the light of day.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Greetings:

I am thrilled with it. The person I bought it from also had a Phantom prototype but it was the same color scheme as the retail release version of the Jolly Rogers. The interesting thing again though was the packaging was different, with most of the plane being assembled inside of the box.

It is clear BBI at some point decided to ship these to customers mostly unassembled, probably to save on shipping and packing costs.

The interesting mystery for me about this piece is why they decided to change the color scheme for the retail version. There had to be a reason. Maybe it was cheaper to go with the basic blue paint scheme? Who knows. That's an answer I'd love to get sometime.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:09 pm

I wish BBI would proceed with the F-104 as well as variants of the Dauntless and F-4. I have the Dauntless as well as the original F-4. The second F-4 didn't impress me, especially for $85-$90.
If only the 1/18 manufacturers would release all of their planes and choppers in 1/32. I doubt that will ever happen.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Big Duke 6
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Big Duke 6 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:58 pm

wow... very cool

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:27 am

always fun to find some uniques models after so many years ! WELL DONE !
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?