New Line of 1/72 WWI planes coming..

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

New Line of 1/72 WWI planes coming..

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:00 am

Wings of the Great War is the company.....not sure if it's some company we know of releaseing the line or somebody new, but they have a line of nice looking WWI planes coming later this year. A bit pricey at $35 a pop but i hope the quality justifies the price.

http://www.diecastairplane.com/store/p/ ... -1-72.html

i know of 4 models so far: spad xiii, pfalz d.iii, nieuport 28 and fokker triplane. Some places it says they are metal others resin.....so dunno.

the blurb:

"We are thrilled to announce the new release of "Wings of The Great War," an epic series of 1/72-scale model aircraft from World War I. Each example in this highly collectible, limited-edition series is a handsome and historically accurate model that is hand crafted and hand painted.

This exciting series will be issued over the next four years beginning with this first release. With the variety of aircraft in a kaleidoscope of colors and paint schemes that have never been seen before, Wings of The Great War will be sure to dazzle every collector and history buff! And, with many of these aircraft limited to as few as 500 pieces, the only way for your customers to be sure to have them all is to start collecting now.

Of special note: Collectors will love our new�exclusive�display stand that is custom designed for this series. This display stand features an articulating mounting system for each aircraft. This variable-position system allows enthusiasts to seamlessly pivot the model on its stand in virtually any direction or angle to create air-to-air scenes and even air-to-ground battle scenes. Featuring fine textures and details, including pilot figures, this premium-quality, hand-cast resin collector series is sure to please everyone and at a cost that won�t break the bank!"
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New Line of 1/72 WWI planes coming..

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:53 pm

We will have these as well and are hoping they look good since few companies are doing WWI planes. We will also be selling these at a reduced price to forum members
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:43 pm

i have a feeling they're being done by the same company that has made the Luft-X planes. The resin construction, the base looks similar. If so, that gives me cause for concern....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:35 pm

You know, the Amercom 1:72 WWI planes are pretty nice for the price point... Save that bulge on the S.E. 5A.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:38 am

Tman....the bulge on the SE 5 comes off. It's just glued on. Get some pliers and give it a tug and it will come right off.

I find the Amercom WWI planes to be hit and miss. The Albatross, Spad XIII, Se5 are pretty good. The Camel is not bad but the wings are too far apart. The Fokker tirplane is pretty clunky with a not great paint job and slab wings with no airfoil shape. The Spad VII has an incorrect tail shape.

The Sopwith B.1, which is a bomber, not a fighter, is not bad except the propeller they used is from a Bulldog and needs to be replaced, which isn't easy as it's a large 2 bladed wood propeller.....most available 1/72 props are too small as they are from fighters. The paint scheme is a bit suspect and should perhaps be an overall light tan, as the plane was possibly just clear doped fabric....however most French fighters at the time were doped with aluminium so it is possible it was silver.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 am

These look interesting. Maybe an option for those who want a little better quality than the Amercom, or who don't collect 1:48. I don't see any wire supports on the wings, perhaps too small for this kind of detail.

It's gotten too expensive to collect much of the 1:48 Corgi offerings as some have really gone up in price lately, so a little too late to go down that road for me.

Question: never owned any models that were made of resin. How does it compare in durability to plastic? Is it more brittle, does it deteriorate and fade more easily?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:58 pm

if these are really resin.....in some places they are stated as being metal......but if resin it would be more fragile than plastic. Resin is still fairly tough but more brittle than plastic. The good news is that it responds to krazy glue really well but you'd want to handle them with more care than a plastic model.

They will be painted so fading etc wont' be any more of an issue than any other painted product.

I would expect these to have rigging......if $18 Amercom planes can have rigging then these should at twice the price. Personally i don't really care but a lot of 'collectors' will be put off if they don't. (i can hear the griping already).