An Italian P.26/40 Tank From Tamiya

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

An Italian P.26/40 Tank From Tamiya

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 10:02 am

The Italians finally built a decent WW2 tank----the P.26/40-----which reached troops a few months before Italy surrendered in September 1943. The designers used an existing chassis, but added thick and sloped armor---like the T-34---and a powerful 75mm cannon. The Germans showed one of the new Italian tanks to Hitler and used a small number in northern Italy. It is reported that at least one P.26/40 was used in the last desperate battles against the Soviets around Berlin in April 1945. Here's a picture of Hitler----upper left----inspecting the P.26/40:Image
Last edited by Epap on Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: An Italian P.26/40 Tank From Tamiya

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 am

Another picture showing a group of P.26/40 tanks in German service:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 am

I make it a point to seek out unusual subjects------especially those with unusual camouflage schemes----and the P.26/40 has always been high on my list of potential acquisitions. So, when I saw a built, but not painted, Tamiya kit-make offered on eBay for a pittance ( $39, including shipping ), I pounced on it. The 1:35th scale model was well assembled, though I had to do some work to complete the build. Then I set about to duplicate the rather complex camouflage scheme. This started with a medium green base coat. Next, red-brown blotches were applied over the surface. The blotches were then outlined in a deep yellow, after which, the lines were extended to create a web-like appearance. The result is a very effective---and unusual----camouflage scheme. Here's a picture:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 10:13 am

Another angle:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 am

A shot from the rear:Image

Light.Inf.Scout
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 am

Very cool...I am the same way...I like the unusual stuff
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Wed May 14, 2014 10:38 am

very nice build and excellent paint job. I like it.

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 am

:?: Why the H**L can't FOV do something like this or other WW2 Italian AFV's instead of more Shermans and Panthers and Tigers Oh My.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 am

^^^^so agreed!
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fitzy » Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am

Looks Great!

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Wow! Very cool. I concur Light and J.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks, guys.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Wed May 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Did you hand painted the deep yellow web ? Excellent job.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 pm

i've noticed that unusual subjects are becoming rare in all of the pre-built hobbies, including aircraft, where it's mostly just repaints of the old standards being released now.....no bold new molds of unusual planes. Not surprising as the economic realities of the world have probably had deleterious effects on such models over the years, causing makers to shy away. If they felt they'd sell, they'd make 'em, rest assured.

The two hopes for oddball (aka unusual) subjects lie in subscriptions, where there's been an outpouring of surprising pre-built subjects over the last few years and specialty manufacturers, who release very low production run numbers......but with those you have to put your money where your mouth is.

Subscriptions seem to be waning, however as there hasn't been much of note for a while.....but it is hopefully just a break to let the market demand build again.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 3:12 pm

cnq wrote:Did you hand painted the deep yellow web ? Excellent job.
Thanks, cnq. The model was all hand painted. The web was rather easy. If your hand slips, causing a spill or an extra deep curve, it's a simple matter to correct by adding some paint to the adjacent green or brown and covering up your mistake.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 14, 2014 3:45 pm

aferguson wrote:i've noticed that unusual subjects are becoming rare in all of the pre-built hobbies, including aircraft, where it's mostly just repaints of the old standards being released now.....no bold new molds of unusual planes. Not surprising as the economic realities of the world have probably had deleterious effects on such models over the years, causing makers to shy away. If they felt they'd sell, they'd make 'em, rest assured.

The two hopes for oddball (aka unusual) subjects lie in subscriptions, where there's been an outpouring of surprising pre-built subjects over the last few years and specialty manufacturers, who release very low production run numbers......but with those you have to put your money where your mouth is.

Subscriptions seem to be waning, however as there hasn't been much of note for a while.....but it is hopefully just a break to let the market demand build again.

I think that the subscription lines work independently of the "traditional" diecast or ready-made companies, AF. The subscription deal has a totally different business plan. Working with a "supplier" like Oxford for Atlas Editions or EagleMoss for GE Fabbri, the subscription guys pick out 30, 40, 50 or more subjects at a time, then, if they get enough full line subscribers, they go into mass production, running to 10,000-20,000 units per tooling and , usually, a single scheme. Naturally, such extensive lists of models must include "unusual subjects", not because these are popular or in great demand, but merely to create the illusion of a great "deal" to bargain-conscious subscribers who chortle over getting a model ----any model----for only $10-15.

Once the publisher has made its money and the costs of the toolings are fully amortized, the subscription phase ends and the organizing entity---Oxford, EagleMoss, etc----brings exactly the same models to the marketplace, under its brand name, using surplus production from the initial runs and new product---all based on the same toolings. These are distributed via regular online and other vendors and really make the profits, which, I assume, are shared to some degree, with the publisher who took the original risks and got the line going. It's a very clever scheme.

So far, the warbird lines have led the way in the partwork subscription arena but the armor field has become more active with IXO, in particular and, now, EagleMoss turning out tons of 1:72nd scale products as well as some 1:43rd scale models. As the emerging marketing scenario plays out, it looks like the traditional, each- model -must- make -a -profit guys, like HM and Corgi are going to be forced to play it safe---and safer----in their new product selections, leaving most---but not all---"unusual subjects" to the subscription folks. Ultimately, I think that the partwork idea will triumph and force most of the traditional manufacturers out or drive them into the high price niche field. Too bad, but that's the way things go----survival of the fittest, I guess.

While the quality of the partwork lines has been an issue, it has been improving. Also, I believe that the bargain basement models that are flooding the market are expanding the collector base----which, in the end, is a good thing.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Tue May 20, 2014 9:20 am

very nice
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel