A little FOV Detail that has Nothing To Do with Anything

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

A little FOV Detail that has Nothing To Do with Anything

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 pm

The Cyrillic writing on the side of the S1 FOV 1:32 T-34/85 tank is aparently a Russian last name. Translated into English, it reads "Suvorov", from the Cyrillic letters "CYBOPOB". This is according to one of the students I tutor who is Russian and translated it. Now whom or what ever the name "Suvorov" is supposed to represent, I guess is lost to history - as well as to FOV's motives - but just though it was cool to know :)

Last edited by tmanthegreat on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:50 pm

Awesome pic! Is that your photo?
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:00 pm

Yep, that's my photo. It was taken on a desktop with a printed landscape background, plant moss for the foliage, and the 21c Russian figures that came with the 32x Jagdpanther. There's many more where that came from in the 32x Dioramas section on my website.

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:41 pm

That's an amazing photo. Do you have more?

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Re: A little FOV Detail that has Nothing To Do with Anything

Post by Hoverbug » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:28 am

There were probably any number of "Suvorovs" painted on Soviet tanks. A bit like a southerner painting Robert E. Lee on his.

http://www.ganesha.org/hall/suvorov.html

tmanthegreat wrote:The Cyrillic writing on the side of the S1 FOV 1:32 T-34/85 tank is aparently a Russian last name. Translated into English, it reads "Suvorov", from the Cyrillic letters "CYBOPOB". This is according to one of the students I tutor who is Russian and translated it. Now whom or what ever the name "Suvorov" is supposed to represent, I guess is lost to history - as well as to FOV's motives - but just though it was cool to know :)

AgentDolu
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AgentDolu » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:14 am

Alexander Vasilievitsh Suvorov (1730-1800) was a field marshal of the tsarist army under Catherine the Great. A veteran of the seven-year war and wars against Poland and Turkey, Suvorov is perhaps best known for his role in suppressing the Polish Kosciuszko insurrection of 1794-95 (trivia - Kosciuszko was a veteran of the American War of Independence) which marked the 3rd and final partition of Poland between Russia, Prussia and Austria. Suvorov is often referred to as the Butcher of Praga (the easternmost suburb of Warsaw) - upon capturing this part of the city, he ordered a massacre of the civilian population. Terrified Warsaw surrendered five days later.

The appearance of the name of a tsarist general on a turret of a Soviet tank is accurate and consistent with Stalin's own policies. After the crushing defeats in 1941, efforts were made to restore the morale in the Red Army by, among other things, appealing to the military tradition and heroes of the old tsarist regime.
Last edited by AgentDolu on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:12 am

T-Man, your next assignment, should you decide to accept it, would be to translate the writing on the side of the winter camo T-34. I took one year of Russian in college (big mistake after taking four years of German in high school) but none of the letters seem familiar...

TJ

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:02 am

I see what you mean by not being able to translate those letters! It looks more like Sandskrit than the Cyrillic Russian letters (which are a modified form of the Greek alphabet).

Also, thanks to Agent Dolu for clarifying the history & origins of the name on the S1 FOV tank. It adds a little more meaning to the vehicle. Nice detailing on the part of FOV!

AgentDolu
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AgentDolu » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Yes, it is unfortunate that after doing such a fine job with "Suvorov", they have totally screwed up on the winter camo T-34. I have no clue what the writing says, if anything. It is definitely not Russian. Unless someone comes up with a convincing explanation/translation, I will not be getting this particular version of T-34. Too bad - winter camo is my favorite.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:31 pm

This is probably the Armenian inscription, but I don't know that language and can't say what does it mean... :(
For our freedom and yours

AgentDolu
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AgentDolu » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:41 pm

Armenia was a part of the Soviet Union. Do you think that an Armienian crew was behind it? Not sure if the Soviets would have tolerated that...?

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:48 pm

AgentDolu wrote:Armenia was a part of the Soviet Union. Do you think that an Armienian crew was behind it? Not sure if the Soviets would have tolerated that...?
I am not sure, too. But I have compared the inscription with some alphabets and I think it is Armenian. Maybe if we could translate it it would be clear...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:15 pm

You might be on to something, there wieslaw... Here's an Armenian-English Dictionary.

http://dictionary.hayastan.com/

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:45 pm

The "Suvorov" T-34/85 tank came from the 55th Guards Tank Brigade, 7th Guards Tank Corps. The Suvorov markings showed that this tank was part of a unit the was awarded the Order of Suvorov, which is given to units that has won a decisive victory over a numerically superior enemy.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:24 am

Oh, the winter T-34/85 is also accurate....somewhat. That belonged to 119th Rifle Tank regiment, one of the first units to receive the T-34/85. The only wrong thing about this scheme is it's the wrong version of T-34/85. This tank should have the D-5T gun, and a boatload of other detail differences, seeing this tank was the early T-34/85 model 1943.

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?opt ... 50&lang=en

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:13 am

Tman, I didn't found these words in the Dictionary. I wrote the second part of the sentence with the original Armenian letters into the "Google". There were two or three results, yes, in Armenian texts, but I still don't know what do they mean! I'm sorry, I can't break the code... :( . Maybe it's the Russian version of "Windtalkers" - nobody excepting Armenians understands this inscription! :wink: .

Hey, GooglyDoogly, I see you know Russian very well! "Zdravstvuyte, pogovorim po russki?" :wink:

AgentDolu
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AgentDolu » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:08 pm

Hmmmm....judging from the info on the website, I was wrong - it looks that FOV got it right after all. Too bad they do not comment on the inscription - "119-й танковый полк, 2-й Украинский фронт" - 119th Tank Regiment of the 2nd Ukrainian Front - but what's the language??? Oh well, at least I'll be getting another T-34.. :) Thanks for the link GooglyDoogly.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:59 pm

You guys are starting to scare me now.
I'm a legend in my own mind.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Got it

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:39 am

The mysterious winter slogan is indeed Armenian, and translates to the name of the Armenian hero, David Sasunskiy. Reference book is Soviet Tanks in Combat '41-'45 by Steve Zaloga.

Stavka is pretty lenient about these type of slogans during the war years, even if the slogans are not hailing communism, Soviet Union, or Stalin, as long as they (the slogans) fired up common Soviet soldiers into killing more Germans.

AgentDolu
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AgentDolu » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:22 pm

All right then! It's settled :lol: Thanks GooglyDoogly.

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Keep walking.....nothing to see here... :D

Edit: moved body to the right thread....silly me.

-H

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:19 am

WOW :shock: You guys should get a job with the military channel. Your research is much better then theirs.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL