BBI 1:32 Dauntless any good ?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

BBI 1:32 Dauntless any good ?

Post by cnq » Sun May 04, 2014 1:05 pm

I was going to purchase the HM 1:32 Dauntless but found a new one from BBI for much cheaper price on ebay. Is the BBI 1:32 Dauntless any good and how does it compare to HM one ?

thanks for any comments

ketelone
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: BBI 1:32 Dauntless any good ?

Post by ketelone » Sun May 04, 2014 3:47 pm

The BBI Dauntless, for the money, is very nice. The HM Dauntless is also very nice. HM's Dauntlesses come in various 'models' from various carriers. Plus HM has pre-war versions with paint and markings. HM's is a really nice product and like all HM planes, heavy. BBI is all plastic. For the money you can buy multiple BBI planes and repaint them. If money is not an issue, purchase both! Currently I have seen BBI going for as low as $30. HM is about 4-5 times more expensive.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 pm

ketelone wrote:The BBI Dauntless, for the money, is very nice. The HM Dauntless is also very nice. HM's Dauntlesses come in various 'models' from various carriers. Plus HM has pre-war versions with paint and markings. HM's is a really nice product and like all HM planes, heavy. BBI is all plastic. For the money you can buy multiple BBI planes and repaint them. If money is not an issue, purchase both! Currently I have seen BBI going for as low as $30. HM is about 4-5 times more expensive.
Thanks ketelone. Actually I don't mind too much about the metal or plastic plane as they look the same sitting on the shelf. I am more about the accuracy and quality of the model. By your comments look like the BBI is suited me just fine due to lower price. I got the BBI Dauntless brand new for $50. Initially I was going to get the Trumpeter kit for $60 but changed my mind.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun May 04, 2014 5:31 pm

I have a couple BBI Dauntlesses and a BBI Wildcat. Very nice and relatively inexpensive. I just wish the they had the 'foldable' wings. I like the ability to display the aircraft as if it's being brought from down below. (Before BBI released the Wildcat, I built one Revell Wildcat so I could do that and I built another so I could hang it from the ceiling. I also have a Revell Dauntless, which I got post BBI release, with British markings and colors.)
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Mon May 05, 2014 8:19 am

Last edited by Yoxford on Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 am

The BBI version is nicely detailed, but HM does have opening dive brakes, which is a key feature for me...

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:53 am

Where are you guys finding these for $30? I been trying to won one off Ebay for forever and they always go for well over $100.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 am

cjg476 wrote:Where are you guys finding these for $30? I been trying to won one off Ebay for forever and they always go for well over $100.
I was lucky and got a new one from ebay for $50 + shipping because the guy who won the auction backed out.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Model train shows, toy shows.... Please keep in mind this is NOT in the box.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:24 pm

I have the BBI one, my only complaint is the wings, they're like the 1:18 Stuka, a pain to remove.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 pm

I've had the opportunity to purchase the Hobby Master Dauntless. I've heard its a nice model and the variety of paint schemes is nice. I've also heard it has some negative drawbacks, including the quality of the figures, loose parts, etc.

I purchased my BBI Dauntless way back when they were new at retail. I have always been satisfied with the model and have never felt the need for another. The BBI plane has a very nicely detailed cockpit, great-looking figures (though the gunner is technically only "half a man" with no legs), has retractable gears, and removable ordinance. Its a sturdy little model as well. My only qualm with the BBI Dauntless is its mid-war paint scheme (from a plane stationed on the USS Enterprise during the campaign against Truk Island). Its a good looking plane, but really should have been a more "classic" scheme from either Coral Sea or Midway where the Dauntless was truly a critical factor to the outcome.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon May 05, 2014 8:52 pm

ketelone wrote:I have a couple BBI Dauntlesses and a BBI Wildcat. Very nice and relatively inexpensive. I just wish the they had the 'foldable' wings. I like the ability to display the aircraft as if it's being brought from down below. (Before BBI released the Wildcat, I built one Revell Wildcat so I could do that and I built another so I could hang it from the ceiling. I also have a Revell Dauntless, which I got post BBI release, with British markings and colors.)
The Wildcat had folding wings, but the Dauntless didn't. One of the reasons it was replaced, though not entirely or successfully by the Curtiss Helldiver.

I have both of the BBI's, and though I wouldn't mind having a Hobby Master, the BBI is nice for the original price I paid of $40 when they came out. I have the F4F and the SBD hanging up in flight with fishline. Something not easily done or done at all with diecast aircraft.

I think both the BBI and the HM are worth having though.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Tue May 06, 2014 5:50 am

Thank you guys for the comments.
I'm sure the HM Dauntless is a very good model but I think I'll be happy with the BBI version. I am going to save up and will get the 1:18 BBI Dauntless in future :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 07, 2014 3:14 pm

You can't go wrong with the Merit 1:18 Dauntless. Certainly the best aircraft in that scale in the past 5-6 years, if not ever. The two schemes chosen are also classic looks for the Dauntless and both winners in my book :)

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Tue May 13, 2014 2:39 pm

There is one available on ebay now starting bid of $45

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDB-DAUNTLESS-1 ... 43c9a4540b

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Fri May 23, 2014 6:28 am

Very happy to receive my Dauntless. It looks beautiful.
Here it is in attacking mode :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun May 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Nice 8)

I have my 1:18 scale Merit Dauntless hanging in a similar pose... BBI did do a great job with their 1:32 scale model though. Certainly a step above most of the 21c 32x aircraft.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun May 25, 2014 3:12 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Nice 8)

I have my 1:18 scale Merit Dauntless hanging in a similar pose... BBI did do a great job with their 1:32 scale model though. Certainly a step above most of the 21c 32x aircraft.
Thanks. They did a very good job on this model. I like it a lot. I'm planning to get the 1/18 version in the future since it's still readily available everywhere. Just need all the fund now to get the green zero and TBM Avenger first :D .

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Someone sell theirs to me.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon May 26, 2014 1:08 pm

cjg: They're out there. You can still find them.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 pm

If you send me a 1/32 SBD 1 or 2 kit or the cash equivalent to get one off ebay I will send you the BBI version.

I want to recreate aircraft #2106 that is kept on display at the Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola and the BBI is a later version; 5 I believe.