Ebay Warning for you guys out there: 1/32 Nashorn

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Ebay Warning for you guys out there: 1/32 Nashorn

Post by PanzerArm » Thu May 01, 2014 8:56 am

I know some of you may have seen a listing for a "1/32" Nashorn on Ebay recently. Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131178828939?ss ... 1423.l2649

Anyway, not to disparage the seller or his listing, but the vehicle being sold is most certainly 1/35. I pressed the seller for info about where this "1/32" vehicle's origins could be traced since no 1/32 Nashorn exists in pre-built or kit form. I also asked whether it started life as a 1/30 Bandai Hummel (Which I have semi-started on a conversion myself). His response was a little confused, thinking I was telling him the listing was actually a 1/30 Hummel, which it isn't. He then provided the dimensions, 3 1/4" wide by 6 3/4" long. I then referenced my copy of German Early War Armored Fighting Vehicles by George Bradford. According to the schematic in his book a 1/35 Nashorn/Hornisse should be 3 1/4" wide by 6 3/4" long (Front fender to rear of superstructure).

So this is just a warning to those out there that use this forum that could be bidding on this tank. If you want a 1/35 Nashorn, knock yourself out, but if you are looking for a 1/32 version, well, I guess the search continues.

-Kevin

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Ebay Warning for you guys out there: 1/32 Nashorn

Post by Fitzy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Kevin
Thanks for the heads-up. I am bidding on this item, and plan to pull my bid if this item is a 1/35.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu May 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes, definitely a 1/35 Nashorn.

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fitzy » Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Scale Plastic & Rail

Home

All Things Aviation

Aviation Related Reviews

All Things Military Vehicle

Military Related Reviews

All Things Maritime

All Maritime Related Reviews

All Things Rail

All Rail Related Reviews

All Other Subjects

Other Subjects

Forums

Join in

. .

AFV Club 1/35 Sd.Kfz.164 Nashorn Kit no: AF35164

Published on Wednesday, 13 October 2010 10:31 Administrator ..
AFV Club

1/35 Sd.Kfz.164 Nashorn

Kit no: AF35164

Scale: 1/35

Tan styrene + 1 clear styrene + PE sheet + 2 Vinyl tracks + 1 metal wire + string.

Ages: 14 and over

Price: GBP 24.08/ Euro 25.11/ US $34.99– Lucky model - LINK

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_94

LuckyModel have sent us an AFV club kit this month to review – Myself I am not familiar with them, but I have seen them at my local hobby store – usually cheaper than most of the other comparable kits on the shelves from Tamiya and Dragon. Does inexpensive mean cheap ? well I haven’t dabbled in them so far as for the fact they ARE so cheap – there must be a catch right ?

AFV Club's 1/35 Sd.Kfz.164 Nashorn is an step up from their regular kits. In that it has all the usual refinements you would usually find in a "smart kit" inside the box but for nearly half the price. Metal barrel, very thin plastic instead of excessive photo etch, incredibly fine moulding of things like hexagon nuts on the wheels, clear optics sprue and the inclusion of wire and photo etch bring this release into the firing line of its more well known competitor and industry benchmark for progressive thinking in kitting armour – Dragon.

The very thin hull wall

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_12

Now DML have countered this release with rushing out its own Nashorn kit a few months ago, which had all of the usual bells and whistles of their usual smart kits and several new sprues. It had their trademarked names for tracks and moulding technologies. This kit thankfully doesn’t have a catchphrase for anything it has made - don’t get me wrong, I love Dragon kits and think of them as the market leader and deservedly so. But some of these things should just be as they are – thin/detailed/accurate/functional without thinking up a snazzy name to describe a thin sheet of styrene. The dragon kit in Cyber-hobby form had over 1000 pieces inside, and did the smart kit 3 in 1 version of this year had just as many (and Razor Edge.Tm. Technology.) This kit just has a bunch of parts moulded in a tan colour this time instead of the usual green colour, a metal barrel, some photo etch and some very very fine parts with excellent detail. Is this a better or on par to the market leaders ? let's have a look.

First some sprue pics....

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

This is a kit that gives a good impression from the start. Excellent artwork which kind of pops out at you from the box, which is mostly white with coloured inserts on the inside of it with more of the AFV club kits in production and to come out. Very well finished it makes a good fist of using every bit of space for promotional work! There is a special treat for the first batch of kits. An A4 poster of the kit box art subject on a white border. This is on glossy paper and really is good if you like a printed piece of paper with the Nashorn on it, but if you don’t well it's about as useful as a chocolate hairdryer. Nice thought though!

Anyway you get out the instructions and start to read "due to the rise of global instability" yes - "in the post-cold war " – eh ? "The U.S. army assembled the Stryker Brigade Combat Team" What ? "A highly computerised light armoured unit composed with light armoured combat vehicles and HMMWVS" Ehh - Computers on a Nashorn???? Then it dawned on me – wrong kit! The Blurb was for a Stryker AFV – the picture shows a Nashorn – but the text is wrong! Well it threw me for a while as I read on thinking "this doesn’t sound right?" I thought I was finally gone off with the birdies! Then I saw the added sheet in the box which correctly described the Nashorn – well my faith was restored! A shaky start but we have to look past this gaffe and only judge on the kits' merits and not the blurb !

Some excellent weld seams are present amongst some very fine detail all around this kit

Detail21_81

So After my perceived mental slip I got into the instructions more in-depth. I could see straight away that this kit has a lot of chassis work going on, and that the chassis is independent and can be positioned on uneven ground and simulate a real working suspension. Excellent! – no "floating tank" over rough diorama here. Although not springy thank goodness it is realistic on rough ground, falling into recesses on whatever it sits on. The problem here though, is the track that goes around the road wheels. They are a pair of vinyl one piece tracks, which to me just harks back to the days of white box Tamiya kits which were good for ten years ago, but well behind the technology arc now. Seeing all the work that has obviously gone into the suspension and indeed the rest of the vehicle, I would prefer in this instance some tracks with "Weight" to them. It will take some glue and some spare time for these tracks to sit right. At this point I am thinking that it's so easy for AFV Club to fix these things then why not do it? The details on the road wheels and final drives are excellent. There are clearly hexagon bolt heads and you can see the roller bearings inside the road wheels. Amazing in detail, and hopefully you can show them off and not cover them in mud!

Detail21_3

The driver's portion of the tank has no interior detail as well, which considering it is very small could have been accomplished quite easily – not good you are thinkingFrown - Aha! But this is the bit that is the turning point – this is where it all gets better. The complicated bottom chassis gives way to a very detailed bottom decking in the fighting compartment with excellently detailed anti–skid mesh on the floor. The front of the vehicle is well detailed with fine welded bolts and upper and lower detail on the upper fenders in the same mesh texture is duplicated underneath. As well as this there are some nice hollowed out exhausts which protrude out the back near the rear deck, which houses some spare road-wheels with written detail on them for a nice bit o' dry-brushing potential.

Detail21_13

Skipping a few steps of construction to talk about the hull. Now as I said it isn’t "Razor whatsitsname TM." But the walls of the armoured sides of the vehicle are very thin, and not thankfully all Photo-etched but are bang to rights scale thickness. There are some excellent side louvers on the side of the hull as well that are nice and thin. These cover some separately moulded cooling fans inside a nicely constructed compartment each side. I liked the option to have a rear opening cargo door to add some variety to the kits final setting. The Nashorn armour was only 10mm thick only on the upper hull of the vehicle due to restrictions on the chassis. Again kudos to AFV club for creating a near to correct to scale thickness hull without slapping a tag.TM. on it

sprues_16

The gun, the centrepiece of this vehicle - is next. At the behest of the high command, this vehicle was fitted with the otherwise Excellent PAK43 88mm anti aircraft gun, which doubled as an extremely effective tank killer. Good thinking - but the height of the vehicle made the armour thickness compromised to the before mentioned 10mm, and so although useful, this was never a "slug it out toe to toe on the front line" vehicle, but an excellent support artillery and tank ambusher. The Nashorn ideally would take out a target at distance before the enemy could strike back. The PAK 43 88mm could penetrate 200mm of 30 degree sloped armour at 1000 meters. You can tell the reason why the "Nashorn" got its name – Nashorn being German for Rhinoceros, the massive 88 barrel sticking out well in front of the chassis of the vehicle. The barrel of the famous 8.8cm here is turned in aluminium and the gun rests on a styrene breech with rubber gun equilibrators which are to be cut as shown on the instructions. The muzzle brake comes in two versions split down the middle or my favourite which is from the Tiger I kit is the two parts front and back which gets rid of the nasty seam cleaning job inside the brake. The gunner's seat and springs which hold it up are also excellent.

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_64AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_65

The Nashorn carried anywhere from 24-40 shells in its storage racks in either side of the vehicle. The type of racks provided by the AFV club here are the excellent plastic types which are well detailed with tiny clasps and internal bracers for holding the ammunition in place with an open ammo case. These ammunition cases are better detailed in my opinion than the Dragon 3 in 1 comparable kit releases this year. There is a truly excellent travel lock mechanism using very small springs that is positionable in travel and "Action" modes, I would think that if you moved this too many times to show your buddies the metal on the spring would take some paint off. (it is a model not a toy after all) The 88 is very well moulded with no sink holes or extra flash - which I might add is vacant from 99% of the kit – I did not notice it anywhere – so hat's off for a great achievement, as several other (major) companies cannot manage this simple thing. The optical equipment and the visors are all provided on one clear sprue which again is very sharp in detail, the rangefinder I thought particularly was impressive.

pe_and_transparencies_2

Speaking of impressive, the equipment adorning the Nashorn is excellent. There is a small sprue with An MG34 plus a MG42 machine gun which you can even see the lines on the hand grips (also with excellent P-E A/A sights) and four Kar.98 rifles. Supplemented with two Mp40s on sprue TA this is one heavily armoured crew! These weapons are some of the best I have seen in a standard AFV kit release. The shell boxes which I believe were not supplied on the Dragon Nashorn are excellently moulded in a wooden textured set of shell boxes, and while we are on the shells there are shells in their cases with spent and unspent rounds. Thought the only bad point is the spent rounds aren't hollow. Easy fix though if you don’t look too hard to get a drill out.

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_57

The Radio in the Nashorn here is well detailed in styrene and the radio racks for the UKW receiver and the Fu5 10 watt transmitter being of Photo Etch are structurally sound and thin at the same time. The faces of these radios being ripe for detail picking with the dry brush. The tool containers are optionable open or closed as well and there are heaps of standard German tools, like shovels and such forth, on sprue K so many in fact that you to take your "Pick"…………. tough crowd!

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_32

There are also a spare small ( looking like an afterthought but I am glad they are here) set of extra tracks which can go into a holder on the front of the hull, strangely they are moulded in olive drab so they must be from another source. There is two German Jacks to be strapped to the front hull and some tow cable which I think they want you to use the string supplied for. I would ditch this and use some thin picture hook wire instead which is and actually looks metal.

zdecals_1

Approximately 494 Nashorn were produced from February 1943 to March 1945. The decals here though only depict five different vehicles!Wink The decals are very thin indeed and may need some care in application as they look delicate, but the thinness is a good thing as long as they stay together. They are in register and the colours are constant and strong, not at all cloudy. The picture here shows the thinness of the decals quite well. Nothing worse than lumpy, thick decals on a vehicle you have spent so long airbrushing, so I like these.

Decals held to catch the light to show thinness of decal

zdecals_2

There are two standard Red brown/Olive green/ Dark yellow vehicle options here, one from the s.H.Pz.Jd.Abt.655 "Eastern Front" Summer 1943 with the words "Löwe" (meaning Lion in German) written in Teutonic red text above the left hand louvers.

xinstructions_13

The other in the same colours being s.H.Pz.Jd.Abt.88 in Brody in the Ukraine, Summer 1944, with no specific markings except "132" vehicle number and the unit badge for the rear mudguard.

xinstructions_12

The same unit has a winter white camouflage option here for again Brody in the Ukraine in 1944. The instructions are again wrong here as it’s a winter white vehicle over Dark yellow standard colour. Why else would it have a big "Eisbär" here written on the side (Eisbär means Polar Bear in German) So I think that may have just been another copy and paste issue in the title, the vehicle comes from the eastern front somewhere and is in winter camo but I wouldn’t be sure of the unit and place.

xinstructions_11

Another Winter Nashorn is here. This one from s.H.Pz.Jd.Abt.519. The vehicle was from Witebsk in the winter of 1943-44 in Russia. This vehicle is portrayed with the large unit crest on the front left glacis plate and the rear right back side of the vehicle. There is also "Tiger" written on the upper left hull side in white letters outlined in black.

xinstructions_9

There is also a Nashorn from the same unit with the same unit markings in the same places but this time from the Summer of 1944 in Belarus. This vehicle has no individual markings and is in the standard Dark yellow colour, rather plain choice really, but they did exist. I don’t understand vanilla marking options, as you can always do these yourself without the help of the kit company, its sometimes smacks of the company taking a cheap option.

xinstructions_10

That's all I need to point out, but here are some more pictures for you to see what comes in the box…

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

So what do we think?

A compromise in price and parts between the Tamiya style of modelling and the Dragon style of maybe overcooking the egg. This is a great kit for a builder who likes a no fuss kit with some excellent options and well moulded parts.

I don’t like the Vinyl tracks but I do like the kit, very much, the internal equipment like the radios, personal equipment, weapons, and general lack of any moulding deformities all get top marks. Avoid the simple errors in the instruction manual and the kit is a gem!

Adam Norenberg

Many thanks to LuckyModel for the review sample used here.

luckymodel_small

Related Articles

1/35 Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad Late Production & 3.7cm PaK 36 w/crew from Dragon - 2011-08-16
1/24 G4 WWII Personnel Car from ICM - 2014-02-07
1/24 Kfz.305 Opel Blitz from Italeri - 2012-01-29
1/24 Krupp Titan SWL 80 from Revell UK - 2012-07-17
1/32 Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad - 2010-11-23

Select Language

Select Language​▼

rplogo

Air-Craft-Banner-130

jasmodel

akagi

... .

Latest Kit News

Martin Lebl – Designer of Brassin cockpit for our Bf 109G-6
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Finished Plastic Cockpit
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Subassembly – Nose
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – FABRIC seatbelts
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Subassembly – Tail

Latest Aftermarket News

1:48 WGr.21 Brassin set, for Bf 109G-6
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Brassin WGr. 21 rockets
Bf 109G-5 Brassin Wheels Resin and mastering
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Brassin wheels
Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Brassin engine and guns - The resin!

Latest Events

IPMS Scale Model World Telford UK Show Report 2013 50th Anniversary.
EXPO: 14th Modellbautage in the Flugwerft Oberschleissheim
EXPO: MBC Hoyerswerda e.V.
IPMS Scale Model World 2011 Telford
Faszination Modellbau / Fascinating World of Modelling Part 2

Login Form

User Name

Password

Remember Me

Forgot your password?
Forgot your username?
.. .

All content © Copyright of Scale Plastic and Rail unless where otherwise stated, 2004 - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

Scale Plastic & Rail

Home

All Things Aviation

Aviation Related Reviews

All Things Military Vehicle

Military Related Reviews

All Things Maritime

All Maritime Related Reviews

All Things Rail

All Rail Related Reviews

All Other Subjects

Other Subjects

Forums

Join in

. .

AFV Club 1/35 Sd.Kfz.164 Nashorn Kit no: AF35164

Published on Wednesday, 13 October 2010 10:31 Administrator ..
AFV Club

1/35 Sd.Kfz.164 Nashorn

Kit no: AF35164

Scale: 1/35

Tan styrene + 1 clear styrene + PE sheet + 2 Vinyl tracks + 1 metal wire + string.

Ages: 14 and over

Price: GBP 24.08/ Euro 25.11/ US $34.99– Lucky model - LINK

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_94

LuckyModel have sent us an AFV club kit this month to review – Myself I am not familiar with them, but I have seen them at my local hobby store – usually cheaper than most of the other comparable kits on the shelves from Tamiya and Dragon. Does inexpensive mean cheap ? well I haven’t dabbled in them so far as for the fact they ARE so cheap – there must be a catch right ?

AFV Club's 1/35 Sd.Kfz.164 Nashorn is an step up from their regular kits. In that it has all the usual refinements you would usually find in a "smart kit" inside the box but for nearly half the price. Metal barrel, very thin plastic instead of excessive photo etch, incredibly fine moulding of things like hexagon nuts on the wheels, clear optics sprue and the inclusion of wire and photo etch bring this release into the firing line of its more well known competitor and industry benchmark for progressive thinking in kitting armour – Dragon.

The very thin hull wall

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_12

Now DML have countered this release with rushing out its own Nashorn kit a few months ago, which had all of the usual bells and whistles of their usual smart kits and several new sprues. It had their trademarked names for tracks and moulding technologies. This kit thankfully doesn’t have a catchphrase for anything it has made - don’t get me wrong, I love Dragon kits and think of them as the market leader and deservedly so. But some of these things should just be as they are – thin/detailed/accurate/functional without thinking up a snazzy name to describe a thin sheet of styrene. The dragon kit in Cyber-hobby form had over 1000 pieces inside, and did the smart kit 3 in 1 version of this year had just as many (and Razor Edge.Tm. Technology.) This kit just has a bunch of parts moulded in a tan colour this time instead of the usual green colour, a metal barrel, some photo etch and some very very fine parts with excellent detail. Is this a better or on par to the market leaders ? let's have a look.

First some sprue pics....

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

This is a kit that gives a good impression from the start. Excellent artwork which kind of pops out at you from the box, which is mostly white with coloured inserts on the inside of it with more of the AFV club kits in production and to come out. Very well finished it makes a good fist of using every bit of space for promotional work! There is a special treat for the first batch of kits. An A4 poster of the kit box art subject on a white border. This is on glossy paper and really is good if you like a printed piece of paper with the Nashorn on it, but if you don’t well it's about as useful as a chocolate hairdryer. Nice thought though!

Anyway you get out the instructions and start to read "due to the rise of global instability" yes - "in the post-cold war " – eh ? "The U.S. army assembled the Stryker Brigade Combat Team" What ? "A highly computerised light armoured unit composed with light armoured combat vehicles and HMMWVS" Ehh - Computers on a Nashorn???? Then it dawned on me – wrong kit! The Blurb was for a Stryker AFV – the picture shows a Nashorn – but the text is wrong! Well it threw me for a while as I read on thinking "this doesn’t sound right?" I thought I was finally gone off with the birdies! Then I saw the added sheet in the box which correctly described the Nashorn – well my faith was restored! A shaky start but we have to look past this gaffe and only judge on the kits' merits and not the blurb !

Some excellent weld seams are present amongst some very fine detail all around this kit

Detail21_81

So After my perceived mental slip I got into the instructions more in-depth. I could see straight away that this kit has a lot of chassis work going on, and that the chassis is independent and can be positioned on uneven ground and simulate a real working suspension. Excellent! – no "floating tank" over rough diorama here. Although not springy thank goodness it is realistic on rough ground, falling into recesses on whatever it sits on. The problem here though, is the track that goes around the road wheels. They are a pair of vinyl one piece tracks, which to me just harks back to the days of white box Tamiya kits which were good for ten years ago, but well behind the technology arc now. Seeing all the work that has obviously gone into the suspension and indeed the rest of the vehicle, I would prefer in this instance some tracks with "Weight" to them. It will take some glue and some spare time for these tracks to sit right. At this point I am thinking that it's so easy for AFV Club to fix these things then why not do it? The details on the road wheels and final drives are excellent. There are clearly hexagon bolt heads and you can see the roller bearings inside the road wheels. Amazing in detail, and hopefully you can show them off and not cover them in mud!

Detail21_3

The driver's portion of the tank has no interior detail as well, which considering it is very small could have been accomplished quite easily – not good you are thinkingFrown - Aha! But this is the bit that is the turning point – this is where it all gets better. The complicated bottom chassis gives way to a very detailed bottom decking in the fighting compartment with excellently detailed anti–skid mesh on the floor. The front of the vehicle is well detailed with fine welded bolts and upper and lower detail on the upper fenders in the same mesh texture is duplicated underneath. As well as this there are some nice hollowed out exhausts which protrude out the back near the rear deck, which houses some spare road-wheels with written detail on them for a nice bit o' dry-brushing potential.

Detail21_13

Skipping a few steps of construction to talk about the hull. Now as I said it isn’t "Razor whatsitsname TM." But the walls of the armoured sides of the vehicle are very thin, and not thankfully all Photo-etched but are bang to rights scale thickness. There are some excellent side louvers on the side of the hull as well that are nice and thin. These cover some separately moulded cooling fans inside a nicely constructed compartment each side. I liked the option to have a rear opening cargo door to add some variety to the kits final setting. The Nashorn armour was only 10mm thick only on the upper hull of the vehicle due to restrictions on the chassis. Again kudos to AFV club for creating a near to correct to scale thickness hull without slapping a tag.TM. on it

sprues_16

The gun, the centrepiece of this vehicle - is next. At the behest of the high command, this vehicle was fitted with the otherwise Excellent PAK43 88mm anti aircraft gun, which doubled as an extremely effective tank killer. Good thinking - but the height of the vehicle made the armour thickness compromised to the before mentioned 10mm, and so although useful, this was never a "slug it out toe to toe on the front line" vehicle, but an excellent support artillery and tank ambusher. The Nashorn ideally would take out a target at distance before the enemy could strike back. The PAK 43 88mm could penetrate 200mm of 30 degree sloped armour at 1000 meters. You can tell the reason why the "Nashorn" got its name – Nashorn being German for Rhinoceros, the massive 88 barrel sticking out well in front of the chassis of the vehicle. The barrel of the famous 8.8cm here is turned in aluminium and the gun rests on a styrene breech with rubber gun equilibrators which are to be cut as shown on the instructions. The muzzle brake comes in two versions split down the middle or my favourite which is from the Tiger I kit is the two parts front and back which gets rid of the nasty seam cleaning job inside the brake. The gunner's seat and springs which hold it up are also excellent.

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_64AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_65

The Nashorn carried anywhere from 24-40 shells in its storage racks in either side of the vehicle. The type of racks provided by the AFV club here are the excellent plastic types which are well detailed with tiny clasps and internal bracers for holding the ammunition in place with an open ammo case. These ammunition cases are better detailed in my opinion than the Dragon 3 in 1 comparable kit releases this year. There is a truly excellent travel lock mechanism using very small springs that is positionable in travel and "Action" modes, I would think that if you moved this too many times to show your buddies the metal on the spring would take some paint off. (it is a model not a toy after all) The 88 is very well moulded with no sink holes or extra flash - which I might add is vacant from 99% of the kit – I did not notice it anywhere – so hat's off for a great achievement, as several other (major) companies cannot manage this simple thing. The optical equipment and the visors are all provided on one clear sprue which again is very sharp in detail, the rangefinder I thought particularly was impressive.

pe_and_transparencies_2

Speaking of impressive, the equipment adorning the Nashorn is excellent. There is a small sprue with An MG34 plus a MG42 machine gun which you can even see the lines on the hand grips (also with excellent P-E A/A sights) and four Kar.98 rifles. Supplemented with two Mp40s on sprue TA this is one heavily armoured crew! These weapons are some of the best I have seen in a standard AFV kit release. The shell boxes which I believe were not supplied on the Dragon Nashorn are excellently moulded in a wooden textured set of shell boxes, and while we are on the shells there are shells in their cases with spent and unspent rounds. Thought the only bad point is the spent rounds aren't hollow. Easy fix though if you don’t look too hard to get a drill out.

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_57

The Radio in the Nashorn here is well detailed in styrene and the radio racks for the UKW receiver and the Fu5 10 watt transmitter being of Photo Etch are structurally sound and thin at the same time. The faces of these radios being ripe for detail picking with the dry brush. The tool containers are optionable open or closed as well and there are heaps of standard German tools, like shovels and such forth, on sprue K so many in fact that you to take your "Pick"…………. tough crowd!

AFV_CLUB_NASHORN_DETAIL_PICS_32

There are also a spare small ( looking like an afterthought but I am glad they are here) set of extra tracks which can go into a holder on the front of the hull, strangely they are moulded in olive drab so they must be from another source. There is two German Jacks to be strapped to the front hull and some tow cable which I think they want you to use the string supplied for. I would ditch this and use some thin picture hook wire instead which is and actually looks metal.

zdecals_1

Approximately 494 Nashorn were produced from February 1943 to March 1945. The decals here though only depict five different vehicles!Wink The decals are very thin indeed and may need some care in application as they look delicate, but the thinness is a good thing as long as they stay together. They are in register and the colours are constant and strong, not at all cloudy. The picture here shows the thinness of the decals quite well. Nothing worse than lumpy, thick decals on a vehicle you have spent so long airbrushing, so I like these.

Decals held to catch the light to show thinness of decal

zdecals_2

There are two standard Red brown/Olive green/ Dark yellow vehicle options here, one from the s.H.Pz.Jd.Abt.655 "Eastern Front" Summer 1943 with the words "Löwe" (meaning Lion in German) written in Teutonic red text above the left hand louvers.

xinstructions_13

The other in the same colours being s.H.Pz.Jd.Abt.88 in Brody in the Ukraine, Summer 1944, with no specific markings except "132" vehicle number and the unit badge for the rear mudguard.

xinstructions_12

The same unit has a winter white camouflage option here for again Brody in the Ukraine in 1944. The instructions are again wrong here as it’s a winter white vehicle over Dark yellow standard colour. Why else would it have a big "Eisbär" here written on the side (Eisbär means Polar Bear in German) So I think that may have just been another copy and paste issue in the title, the vehicle comes from the eastern front somewhere and is in winter camo but I wouldn’t be sure of the unit and place.

xinstructions_11

Another Winter Nashorn is here. This one from s.H.Pz.Jd.Abt.519. The vehicle was from Witebsk in the winter of 1943-44 in Russia. This vehicle is portrayed with the large unit crest on the front left glacis plate and the rear right back side of the vehicle. There is also "Tiger" written on the upper left hull side in white letters outlined in black.

xinstructions_9

There is also a Nashorn from the same unit with the same unit markings in the same places but this time from the Summer of 1944 in Belarus. This vehicle has no individual markings and is in the standard Dark yellow colour, rather plain choice really, but they did exist. I don’t understand vanilla marking options, as you can always do these yourself without the help of the kit company, its sometimes smacks of the company taking a cheap option.

xinstructions_10

That's all I need to point out, but here are some more pictures for you to see what comes in the box…

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

So what do we think?

A compromise in price and parts between the Tamiya style of modelling and the Dragon style of maybe overcooking the egg. This is a great kit for a builder who likes a no fuss kit with some excellent options and well moulded parts.

I don’t like the Vinyl tracks but I do like the kit, very much, the internal equipment like the radios, personal equipment, weapons, and general lack of any moulding deformities all get top marks. Avoid the simple errors in the instruction manual and the kit is a gem!

Adam Norenberg

Many thanks to LuckyModel for the review sample used here.

luckymodel_small

Related Articles

1/35 Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad Late Production & 3.7cm PaK 36 w/crew from Dragon - 2011-08-16
1/24 G4 WWII Personnel Car from ICM - 2014-02-07
1/24 Kfz.305 Opel Blitz from Italeri - 2012-01-29
1/24 Krupp Titan SWL 80 from Revell UK - 2012-07-17
1/32 Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad - 2010-11-23

Select Language

Select Language​▼

rplogo

Air-Craft-Banner-130

jasmodel

akagi

... .

Latest Kit News

Martin Lebl – Designer of Brassin cockpit for our Bf 109G-6
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Finished Plastic Cockpit
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Subassembly – Nose
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – FABRIC seatbelts
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Subassembly – Tail

Latest Aftermarket News

1:48 WGr.21 Brassin set, for Bf 109G-6
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Brassin WGr. 21 rockets
Bf 109G-5 Brassin Wheels Resin and mastering
Eduard Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Brassin wheels
Bf 109G-6 1/48 – Brassin engine and guns - The resin!

Latest Events

IPMS Scale Model World Telford UK Show Report 2013 50th Anniversary.
EXPO: 14th Modellbautage in the Flugwerft Oberschleissheim
EXPO: MBC Hoyerswerda e.V.
IPMS Scale Model World 2011 Telford
Faszination Modellbau / Fascinating World of Modelling Part 2

Login Form

User Name

Password

Remember Me

Forgot your password?
Forgot your username?
.. .

All content © Copyright of Scale Plastic and Rail unless where otherwise stated, 2004 - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

I found a 1/35 Nashorn from AFV Kit no AF35164 that has the Name Lowe on the decal sheet, the same as the kit that is offered as 1/32 on ebay. I would say this is the same model.

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo ... cals_1.jpg

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fitzy » Thu May 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Sorry the message is at the bottom of the page. Sorry for the mess-up

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu May 01, 2014 8:00 pm

You know, there IS an edit function where by one can clean up a post that has gone awry.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Fri May 09, 2014 8:41 pm

You have to be kidding me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:3160

I hope he gets hit with SNAD claim because whoever forked over that kind of money is going to be severely disappointed to discover it is not 1/32.

-Kevin

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Wish the pics had been clearer; can't tell if the paintjob was good or not. From what I can tell, it looks more like an abandoned vehicle left out at Aberdeen Proving Grounds than a battle-scarred veteran of fierce combat.

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fitzy » Sat May 10, 2014 6:15 am

Glad I took back my bid. Thanks Kevin for the heads-up