New Oxford 1:72nd Scale Releases Announced

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: New Oxford 1:72nd Scale Releases Announced

Post by Epap » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:40 am

And "after":Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 am

nice work, Epap.

why's it called 'code 3'......i've seen that on a few diecast message boards.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 am

As I understand the origins of the term, there are three situations:

1) Code 1: where the model is in "as made" form by the manufacturer.

2) Code 2 where alterations of various sorts---like adding markings or bombs-----are made with the consent of the original manufacturer.

3) Code 3: Where alterations and/or refinements to a model are made without consulting the manufacturer or obtaining consent. I'm a prime example of this.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:55 am

This is what I'm waiting on!
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/OD-AC046
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:41 pm

there are a pile of new Oxfords due out in Sept, including the Avenger. There are at least 8 new ones due out next month.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm

And the "George Bush" is the only one I'm waiting on, I've wanted one ever sense HM made their first release TBF, though the price just seems to keep going up with HM, and I think this one would make a good exception to HM, for now..
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:05 pm

There is this one, but Flyingmule seems to be sold out...
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/WM-APF0024

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 am

Oxford Hs 126 is available at several retailers (not Mule yet). Scheme is a bit of a snoozer though...Spanish Civil War. I'll probably wait for an Afrika Korp repaint.

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/OD-AC044

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:56 pm

aferguson wrote:Oxford Hs 126 is available at several retailers (not Mule yet). Scheme is a bit of a snoozer though...Spanish Civil War. I'll probably wait for an Afrika Korp repaint.

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/OD-AC044
If the Oxford factory had used the right colors----that creamy glop should be a light gray/green, for example-----and made a real splinter pattern, the model would be quite acceptable. As it is, I'll have to do a repaint on this one, probably going for an all -gray/green, with the antenna and stirrups added, some holes filled in and the inside of the engine painted the correct color.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:45 pm

pics are up of some of the upcoming releases. Do 335 is not quite what i was expecting and i actually like the colours better. The Bf 108 looks good, as do the two WWI birds.

There's also a brtisih tank transporter coming next year, which may be of interest to some.

https://themotorpoolblog.wordpress.com/ ... -aviation/

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:57 am

The Do 335's colors look close to the Altaya ones with the brown. Minus the black panel lines of course.
Probably good if you don't have the latter, but I managed to get one so I can pass.

I would like a BF-108, though would prefer a Euro scheme. Hopefully they will make one later.

The tank carrier looks cool. It says it's a Diamond. Thought that was an American truck company but don't know for sure.
The FOV Dragon Wagon is cool for hauling around a Sherman, but this might be good for some desert Brit tanks.

I still have to get the Henschel HS-123. Pretty much a must buy. A Luftwaffe biplane with fixed landing gear, open cockpit, so no worries with in flight (without a pilot) or on ground.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:12 am

i just noticed the Oxford George Bush Avenger has been released. Doesn't look too bad with a faded looking paint scheme.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:13 am

just noticed the GB Avenger has only one shade of blue, not two :? So it looks more like an early war scheme than a proper 1944 era GB Avenger....bummer.

By my reckoning, there are only 2 Atlas series planes left for Oxford to reissue: Bolton Paul Defiant and Nakajima Kate. I expect we'll see both of those by late next year. Lots of repaints i still want to see from Oxford, like a Finnish Buffalo...in fact British and Dutch Buffaloes too, Desert Hs 126, and so on.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:32 pm

aferguson wrote:just noticed the GB Avenger has only one shade of blue, not two :? So it looks more like an early war scheme than a proper 1944 era GB Avenger....bummer.

By my reckoning, there are only 2 Atlas series planes left for Oxford to reissue: Bolton Paul Defiant and Nakajima Kate. I expect we'll see both of those by late next year. Lots of repaints i still want to see from Oxford, like a Finnish Buffalo...in fact British and Dutch Buffaloes too, Desert Hs 126, and so on.
It also is lacking the forward firing machine gun on the right side of the upper engine cowling, so that means that it's probably a TBM not a TBF, AF.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:51 pm

hm......have to take another look. So it's a TBM in TBF's clothing then...not uncommon of oxford/atlas to put paint schemes on wrong variants of aircraft.

I thought of another unreissued Atlas: the me-262B nightfighter.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:45 am

Pictures of the Bush "Avenger" posted on the Flying Mule's website show no forward firing guns and none of those small side windows that were on the plane. In fact, I don't see any access doors on the sides of the fuselage, either. :cry:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 am

yeah.....i've pretty much lost interest in the Oxford Avenger. Shame.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:55 am

That is kind of a shame, but you either have to buy a piece of doo doo or an expensive model. There's almost nothing in between is what chaps my hide these days.

Though if you can find a good one and spring for it, I highly recommend getting at least one of the Hobby Master Avengers.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:24 am

3 more Oxfords just released. I just ordered Bf 108, DH4 and Bristol Fighter. Looking forward to them. :)

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:02 am

I've got these on order as well as the DO-335 and I-16. Pictures indicate that the WW1 planes come rather bare---without rigging-----which is disappointing, I may try to add some "rigging", using very thin brass rods.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:55 am

yes, no rigging. Doesn't bother me but i know some will be disappointed as you said. I'm just glad to see WWI era planes made. I gather these are new molds and not reissues like most of the lower price Oxfords are? Regardless, i hope to see many more WWI subjects in the future.

The place i order from didn't have the Dornier or Rata in stock yet but i guess they will soon, so i'll be getting those as well. ;)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:00 pm

btw Epap.......the simplest way i've found to do rigging is with stretched sprue. Clear sprue works best i find. Stretch it to desired thickness over a candle. Then cut to apporx length and use tiny drops of white glue to secure. It's ok if it's a bit saggy.

The next day when the glue is dry do the following: light a match and let it burn a few seconds. Blow it out and immediately hold it about half an inch under one rigging wire on the plane. The left over heat from the match will cause the stretched sprue to shrink and tighten. May take a couple of tries to get it perfectly taught. Repeat procedure for each rigging wire. If you happen to melt right through one you just need to replace it with a new piece of stretched sprue.

It may sound complicated but once you get the hang of it it's quite quick and easy to do. I can do a whole 1/72 fighter in 20 minutes or so and every wire is nice and tight and looks great.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:55 am

some new oxfords announced for 2nd quarter 2015. Nothing overly exciting: Fw-190D, NAS Hurricane in coastal command colours (interesting but wrong mark of hurricane i believe......could be wrong), Boulton Paul Defiant (first release of this by Oxford) in interesting Air Sea Rescue markings.......an unusual choice but was a major role for the Defiant during '42 and '43. Finally a Gloster Gladiator redo in Swedish volunteer markings which saw combat during the Winter War between Finland and Russia.

This release is of note because it is coming with skis, which would mark the first time i believe, that Oxford has done any kind of a re-tool to any of the old Atlas molds......hopefully more retools to come, as there are lots of possibilities. Corgi did a Swedish volunteer Gladiator but botched the paint job; it will be interesting to see if Oxford gets it right or just copies Corgi's errors.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:46 am

The WW2 types to be released by Oxford are all based on the rather generic Atlas Editions toolings that Oxford managed for them. I doubt whether Oxford will go to the trouble of modifying any of thesemodels to make them more accurate relative to the schemes utilized. As AF noted, the Gladiator with skies is an exception and is all the more interesting as Corgi put out exactly the same thing, years ago, which, I gather, did not sell too well.

It looks like the Oxford brass, many of whom are ex-Corgi guys, are trying to make some sort of point directed specifically at their old employer. Certainly, they are going for Corgi's jugular when it comes to capturing the UK diecast warbird---and other birds----market.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 am

not sure how the original corgi swedish gladiator sold but they fetch pretty good money now, in spite of the inaccurate (or more to the point incomplete) paint scheme. Let's hope the Oxford execs really want to stick it to Corgi by making the paint scheme correct on this upcoming gladiator. :)

It's refreshing to see so many releases from oxford when other makers are dropping off the radar (skymax, witty, probably falcon etc). While most new releases are british, there are a lot of cool british planes yet to be covered, like a fairey battle, wyvern, supermarine attacker, barracuda, whirlwind, scimitar, f22/24 spitfire, seafang, maybe a lockheed hudson if they get that daring plus hopefully some more wwi types as well.