Hobby Master Spitfire IX - Anyone Get One?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Hobby Master Spitfire IX - Anyone Get One?

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Pretty much as the title says... Has anyone else gotten the Hobby Master Spitfire IX model? While they've offered several schemes over the past year, I finally got one – the newest edition in George Beurling’s livery.

Quite frankly, I was rather surprised with the tooling and would consider it one of the better Hobby Master 1:48 scale releases I’ve seen lately (especially when one considers that awful P-51B). While I'm sure it has its inaccuracies that I'm not touching upon, the Spitfire IX tooling has gone back to having the greater level of functionality that characterized many of the earlier HM 1:48 planes, including retractable gear, opening gun bays on the wings, and movable control surfaces (rudder). Recent 1:48 releases (like the P-47) have not had that functionality.

The Sptifire’s functionality is very likely because HM used the wings from the Spitfire XIV (Griffon-engine) tooling on the Spitfire IX model. It’s still accurate enough and the extra details (like the gun bays) can be appreciated! I did notice that the model came with optional tail wheel pieces – one with the standard “exposed” wheel and another with it retracted. From my understanding, the Spitfire IX still had the exposed tail wheel like most of the earlier Spitfire types. The cockpit side door does not open, but I’m not as bummed about that given that it was a fragile piece on the HM Spitfire XIV models and never quite looked right when closed up. The radio mast also has to be attached to the Spitfire IX and it also comes with a spare mast.

It now goes with my several HM 1:48 Spitfire models that pretty much show the evolution of that iconic fighter from a Battle of Britain Mk. I model to a postwar Mk. XIV with teardrop canopy, clipped wings, and 5-blade prop. So, overall, despite the somewhat high price, I’m quite pleased with this addition to the Hobby Master lineup and would recommend the model.

So again, curious to hear any other thoughts from those that have this?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Re: Hobby Master Spitfire IX - Anyone Get One?

Post by snake » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:16 pm

That Beurling Spit is a good looking one, Tman, and good to see HM doing the Mk IX.

HM does have a good selection of various Spitfires in 1/48, and numerous countries are represented too. If you wanted to, you can display the evolution of the Spitfire, which is pretty cool.

I only have one HM Spit, the Griffon engined, clipped wing Mk XIV, and it is quite a looker. Very distinct.

But pretty happy with what HM has done with the Spitfire, in 1/48.

http://hobbymastercollector.com/1-48Spitfire.html

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Snake, you need to get some more Spitfires :wink:

Anyways, your post made me take this photo:

The Evolution of the Spitfire in Hobby Master 1:48 Diecast
(L-R) Spitfire Mk I, Spitfire Mk IX, Sptifire Mk XIV (eliptical wings), Spitfire Mk XIV (clipped wings, bubble canopy)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:44 pm

WOW!!! That really cool Tman. HobbyMaster does such a good job. If I ever get into planes again I will definitely be getting into 1/48. Thanks for the pic.
Last edited by cjg476 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Beautiful planes!
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 pm

" Snake, you need to get some more Spitfires :wink: "

True enough tman, true enough.

Have most of the Corgi 1/ 32 spitfires, although they are MkI.

Really great that HM has done the various Spifire marks, and done them well. Good pilots, and air forces represented. Kind of a faultless 1/48 line.

1/48 is a good compromise, if 1/32 is still a little big. Good detail, and decent size, and by and large HM has done well in this scale.

Cool shot of the Spitfire's progress, tman. 8)

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Great collection of the Spits tmanthegreat. I like the D-day version the most.