Hobby Master P-51B

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Hobby Master P-51B

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:26 pm

My local Hobby Town USA store got in the new Hobby Master P-51B "Shangri La" yesterday while the $60 priced tag is nice, to me the plane represents a new low for Hobby Master... I was hoping it would have the correct wings compared to the preproduction photo, but alas no. It's a P-51B fuselage with P-51D wings, six gun ports, wing lights and all. Heck, 21c got it right on their cheap 1:48 and 1:32 renditionings! Even the 1:72 scale MRC EasyModel P-51B hanging on the peg above at the store was correct. Hobby Master has traditionally been near the top in terms of accuracy, but the new P-51B just isn't accurate! Really it's just cheap. I'm glad I saw the item in person before making the purchase as opposed to ordering online. I decided to save my money for something else with the hope that Hobby Master Will correct the wing issue in later models. I would not recommend purchasing this release.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Hobby Master P-51B

Post by Epap » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:26 pm

HM claims that this was a "mistake" though how that could happen is a mystery as I know of no P-51B kit with a D wing its designers could have copied, nor are there any scale drawings or pictures of the actual plane with a D wing. The plan now is to convert the D wing into a B wing---if I understand it correctly-----with the result that the P-51D model will be "rested" for an indefinite period.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

HM is taking a lot of heat over this mistake. And rightfully so, in my opinion.

But to their credit, they have decided to halt production of any further B/C Mustangs until the wing issue is corrected. And to discount the "Shangri La", that was already done. So they are doing what they can to rectify the situation.

And it would appear that they are not doing any more D versions for some time. Retiring it for the foreseeable future. I think that they want to focus on just one Mustang type at a time, so as not be in competition with themselves. Disappointing for those that want more HM D types, but a smart business move.

HM has had a few issues like this in the past, but they do seem to be making more of these mistakes the last year or so. However, they still make great models for the most part, and continue to take input and suggestions from collectors.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Epap and Snake, your comments sort of make me want to pick one up now. In 10 years, it could either be worth something as the S1 model and a glitch - or it could be worth nothing. HM has milked the P-51D tooling over the past several years and there are plenty of P-51B/C paint schemes to replicate as well, so I've got no problem with them putting the P-51D to rest.

I am well aware of HM's quality - their products are probably the most numerous in my diecast collection, followed by Corgi - which is why I was so surprised to see that the S1 P-51B turned out as it did...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:17 am

Not being much of a 1:48 collector, but I do have a few. The HM 1:48's are a little up there in price for me to consider buying very many of them. I probably would have bought this one though as the iconic P-51B everyone knows. An easy pass for me now.

Buying a glaringly incorrect model because it might be worth a lot in the future, well to each their own.
They should have recalled each and every one of these or seized them before shipping and shredded every last one of them. A major moment of infamy that will be harped upon by rivet counting collectors in the future. Not likely a correct Shangri La by HM will ever be released in the future because of this, but I could be wrong.

Gemini Aces makes the nicest P-51B/C in 1:72. Sure would like to see Shangri La in the lineup. It would be a good seller I think, and more in the price range of the average collector. Right around now would be a good time because of this.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:26 am

There are still 2 P-51D's (Ridgerunner and Scat VI) in the pipe for HM so they aren't dead yet, but I am glad to see HM delaying the "B" production until the wing can be fixed.

On a side note, if anyone is looking for a fine example of the P-51B/C model in 1/48, I still recommend Eagles International's version. It is the most accurate in terms of shape that you will find anywhere. 8)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by donnieboy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:39 pm

I hate to be a Donnie Downer, but there are major problems with the upcoming Hobby Master 1:32 Hellcat also. The plane is supposed to be Lt. CDR David McCampbell's F6F-5 "Minsi III", but instead is a hybrid with features of both the F6F-3 and F6F-5. To wit, it has the oval bulge on the side of the cowling over the exhaust stacks characteristic of the F6F-3, along with the F6F-3s small side windows behind the cockpit canopy (some early F6F-5s had these also, although not Minsi III). The windscreen is also that of the F6F-3. But it has the underwing rocket stubs, vertical radio mast, and paint scheme of an F6F-5. I am kicking myself because I noticed these problems in the prototype drawing Hobby Master released last summer, but failed to let them know about its inaccuracies. I have since informed William Liu about the problems with Minsi III. He says it's too late to change things on that plane now but subsequent Hellcat models will be corrected. I suspect the problems may have started when the modellers at Hobby Master found a picture of a current Warbird Hellcat painted as "Minsi III "on a Hellcat website. Unfortunately, that particular plane is an F6F-3!
Go Starbuck!

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:50 pm

That is so disappointing. I was waiting for a better paint scheme, but at this point I think I'm shifting over to 1/48 scale so I am going to hold off.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 pm

donnieboy wrote:I hate to be a Donnie Downer, but there are major problems with the upcoming Hobby Master 1:32 Hellcat also. The plane is supposed to be Lt. CDR David McCampbell's F6F-5 "Minsi III", but instead is a hybrid with features of both the F6F-3 and F6F-5. To wit, it has the oval bulge on the side of the cowling over the exhaust stacks characteristic of the F6F-3, along with the F6F-3s small side windows behind the cockpit canopy (some early F6F-5s had these also, although not Minsi III). The windscreen is also that of the F6F-3. But it has the underwing rocket stubs, vertical radio mast, and paint scheme of an F6F-5. I am kicking myself because I noticed these problems in the prototype drawing Hobby Master released last summer, but failed to let them know about its inaccuracies. I have since informed William Liu about the problems with Minsi III. He says it's too late to change things on that plane now but subsequent Hellcat models will be corrected. I suspect the problems may have started when the modellers at Hobby Master found a picture of a current Warbird Hellcat painted as "Minsi III "on a Hellcat website. Unfortunately, that particular plane is an F6F-3!
This probably needs its own thread since we're not talking about the Hellcat. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark