oxford diecast info and discussion

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

oxford diecast info and discussion

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm

At least i think it's new. Anyway, it's attractive but i'm wondering about its accuracy. For the most part i've found Oxford's accuracy on paint jobs to be hit and miss. Some quite good, others with errors.

This is supposed to be a fighter bomber, yet the scheme is PR blue, except for an odd dark grey blob on the nose. It gives the pilot and squadron but i can't find any references for it.

Anyone able to validate this scheme?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC036-Oxford-Av ... _819wt_932
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: oxford diecast new Mosquito repaint

Post by Dauntless » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 am

Close to the Corgi Banff Mosquito, but accuracy, dunno.
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA32805
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:39 am

ah it' s supposed to be a Coastal Command scheme.....of course. The shade they used is PR blue though, should be medium grey.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:44 pm

I agree on the Oxford "hit and miss" comment, but then, they are intended to be a cheap diecast alternative to the more expensive and quality brands. Diecast for the masses. I got a few of their pieces - mostly because they were interesting subjects. A lot of their 1:72 aircraft derived from Corgi toolings, but were simplified. It is possible to remove the canopies on some models and insert 1:72 scale pilot figures to liven the plane up a bit...

Still, the Oxford planes make me think back 10 years ago to the Matchbox Collectables series of WWI, WWII, Korea, and Cold War/Vietnam era fighters. Those also operated under the "diecast for the masses" philosophy and only cost $15 at original retail. They came with accurate paint jobs, pilot figures, moving parts, and weathering - plus they tended to look a bit better.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:15 am

I agree, kind of like the Matchbox with the gear up only. Though a few unusual planes like the Ar-196 floatplane where you don't have to worry about that, got it, a good value. Can't say much about the others in close ups I don't see the detail I'm used to now unlike the old days. The Meteor / V1 looks interesting. The HS-123 is another one I'm interested in, biplane fixed gear.

They are putting out a higher detailed, but costs more Dragon Rapide. An Avro Anson twin is also in the works for next year, but don't know if it'll be higher end.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:31 am

an Anson is cool. One of the paint schmes is for an Anson that shot down a bf 109 over Dunkirk. Apparently a few 109's were downed by Ansons (shockingly) as the Anson could turn inside the 109 (also shockingly).

Apparently the model will have u/c up or down options, so i suspect a higher price tag will be in order.

Oxford also has a Hs 126 coming out, but the first paint scheme is for the Spanish Civil War, which doesn't turn me on. I'll wait for a North Africa one.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:32 pm

by the way, if anyone's interested, i picked up a Maisto Gee Bee R-1 at a local
toy store. It's in the Tailwinds line, among others. Not a bad little model for the few dollars it costs and bang on 1/72. It has the usual inexpensive diecast toys drawbacks but overall it looks great. It could use a couple of little improvements like painting on the canopy framing and adding little tiny '11' s to the outside of the wheel spats. It would also benefit from a new propeller (but the one it comes with is acceptable).

Nicely painted, accurate lines and very inexpensive. A good find overall. Look for the white and red version, which is accurately done as the R-1 of 1932 Thompson trophy fame....the one Jimmy Doolittle won in. There's also a gold and blue one which is not accurate.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 pm

The Anson is an unusual one. Good reviews on the Rapide so hopefully a nice one in the higher end. Probably in the same price range around $40. Glad it's a RAF version for the first one... Dunkirk huh? Seen pics of one with Mg's in the nose area as well as the birdcage turret.

With Oxford going into this realm, I would welcome more early war RAF planes. All kinds of funky planes from that time.

Odd choice for the Hs-126 in Spanish Civil War scheme. I'll probably wait too for a Luftwaffe version, but like to see the actual model before I decide. Epap might like it though.

The Hs-123 is a German scheme at least, coming out in December.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: oxford diecast info and discussion

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:24 am

found a pic of the upcoming Oxford Avro Anson. Don't know what the release date is but i would say probably 3, 4 months-ish. I like the Anson, it reminds me of my yute......i built the Airfix kit. Prototype looks good.

http://www.norton.co.uk/diecast-models- ... 1940-p6530

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Dauntless wrote:The Anson is an unusual one. Good reviews on the Rapide so hopefully a nice one in the higher end. Probably in the same price range around $40. Glad it's a RAF version for the first one... Dunkirk huh? Seen pics of one with Mg's in the nose area as well as the birdcage turret.

With Oxford going into this realm, I would welcome more early war RAF planes. All kinds of funky planes from that time.

Odd choice for the Hs-126 in Spanish Civil War scheme. I'll probably wait too for a Luftwaffe version, but like to see the actual model before I decide. Epap might like it though.

The Hs-123 is a German scheme at least, coming out in December.
I checked out the HS-126 Spanish scheme and it seems to be valid so, naturally, I plan to buy it. I also have a redo of an Atlas Editions HS-126, see picture below, and a spare which may wind up in Greek colors.Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:17 pm

do you know when any of the new Oxfords are due out, Epap? Hs 123, Hs 126, Anson, Avenger and so on?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 pm

I already have the MS-406 and Oscar, AF. Pictures of the actual models of the Hornet, HS-123 and ME-163 have already been posted on the Jumblies website in the UK and I believe that these will shortly be available in the U.S.-----sometime this month-----as well as the P-40 and Frank. Scheduled for a June release are the TBF ( TBM? ), George, HS-126 and a second Hornet.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 am

the P-40 is coming in a Flying Tigers scheme, with Chinese markings, i beleive. But it's a P-40F i think. I don't think it's correct because when the FT were using Chinese markings they were only flying P-40B's. Not 100% sure about this, so i have to double check.

How's the MS 406? Is it better than the Easy Model?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:23 am

I'm pretty sure that the Flying Tigers used the P-40 E as well as the B, AF. I think that the upcoming Oxford Diecast version is based on an E tooling, not the F.

As for the MS-406, it has no pilot and features ugly screw holes, but unlike the Easy Model version, Oxford included the pitot head and made the retractable belly antenna a part of its mold----both are missing in the EM model. I have read some comments to the effect that the French never changed the gray in their three-color camouflage scheme into sand after their surrender in 1940, but I don't know if this is true. Here's a picture of my slightly reworked Oxford MS-406:Image

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 am

Think I'd opt for the old IXO Dewointine if I got some 1:72 French planes. They have the gear up or down option I do believe. Still nice work on yours though Epap.

The Hs-123 is a little late by one month, I'm eager to see the actual model.

Most of these Oxfords I've passed on. Only have the Arado 196 so far, though The Focke Wulfe TA-152 is the only one out there in die cast I've seen, and looks like the only way to get a V1 Buzz Bomb at a reasonable price is with the Meteor. Most of the Corgi's usually with another plane like a Spitfire or He-111 are way too expensive.

A P-40F would be something. The Corgi Legends Operation Torch is quite nicely done and reasonable. A version of the Warhawk with the Packard Merlin instead of the Allison engine that's under represented. A more formidable P-40 from what I've read, mostly in the Mediterranean Theatre. They could have done a Tuskegee airman version at least.

Oxford or Warmaster and the like are probably our only chance of seeing a Fiat CR-42 Falco. I hope someone decides to re-issue it from the Leo, GE-Fabbri line-up if possible. I got the wants for one.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 am

The Dewoitine 520 is a totally diff't plane from the MS 406, so one is not really a substitute for the other. Don't the inked in panel lines on Ixo models bother you? I've passed on every single model they make because of them....they make the model look goofy, almost like it's a paper model.

P-40E, right......not F. The FT did use the E for sure but i don't think it was until after the US declared war on Japan and the planes carried US markings, not Chinese markings. I think the FT were only using the B model when they wore Chinese markings. Which would make the Oxford model incorrect.

Leo Models makes a nice Fiat CR 42 and it was re-released last year. It's now hard to find again, but i just picked one up for $22 shipped, which is quite a baragin. You'll be lucky to get one for $30. Just search for 'C R 42' worldwide and you'll probably eventually find one. I literally searched every day (just the newly listed offerings) for 7 weeks before i found one......but it was worth it. :)

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 am

P-40 Es were in use on Bataan from December 1941-April 1942 and also were with the Flying Tigers as late as June -July wearing Chinese Nationalist markings after the first batch of 30 machines was delivered to replace the attrition of the earlier Bs.

As regards the French fighters, the IXO version of the Dewoitine D.520, aside from its black panel lines, has a big problem with its radiator. Not only can you see right through it but if you want to display the model with its wheels up----as a drone----the radiator has to come off to allow the stand to be fitted ( the idiots put the mounting hole under the radiator ). The best Dewoitine is the Amercom copy of the Easy Model yellow tail rendition, as you get metal, not plastic. Take a look at the pictures on the Mule's website. If you want more variety in schemes, I 'd go with Easy Model.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:09 pm

You have a point there Aferg about the IXO's. I've only bought the ones that were unavailable anywhere else, like all the Japanese fighters, torpedo bomber, and some htf German aircraft. The black lines do bug though.

So you've been looking for and found a Leo CR-42 too huh? Guess I keep missing them, but I'll look again.

That Amercom version of the Dewoitine looks pretty decent Epap, and lots to choose from with the Easy Models too, plastic doesn't bother me. I have the green Mig 3 and read the Amercom is a metal copy and the nicest too.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:28 pm

interesting about the P-40 Epap...thanks.

as far as the Leo Cr 42........don't search for 'leo models' or 'leo' as it never comes up under that name. Just search for 'fiat C R 42' spaces between C and R and that will maximize your search. Do it regularily and you just need to check 'newly listed'. Eventually you'll find one but they are rare. Leo also made a CR 32 and Ro 37, both of which are in pre-war but attractive schemes and a WWI Hanriot HD 1.......all in 1/72.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:13 pm

There are two versions of the Leo Models ( GE Fabbri ) Fiat CR.42. One is a fairly garish BOB version; the other is a dark gray night fighter with flame dampeners added to its exhausts. The latter is pretty good as is.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 pm

here's the one i've ordered. Looks like a North Africa scheme to me, not BoB. The other version available in the line is the dark night fighter.

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/altaya ... 20DC37.jpg

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 am

aferguson wrote:here's the one i've ordered. Looks like a North Africa scheme to me, not BoB. The other version available in the line is the dark night fighter.

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/altaya ... 20DC37.jpg
That's the BOB scheme, AF. Any North African Fiat would have the white fuselage band.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 am

ah right........didn't notice that. Otherwise it looks just like a N.A. scheme. I may cheat and add a white band. :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 am

here's a picture of the markings the Oxford Hs 123 will have. It's just coming out for sale now.

It represents a plane from a training unit, which is kind of an odd choice. Also, the plane in question should not have wheel covers, like the model does.

It's too bad, without the big yellow 21, this plane would look like a machine from the Polish campaign, lowlands or France, where Hs 123's were used very effectively in the close support role.

http://www.aer.ita.br/~bmattos/mundo/ww ... plate2.jpg

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:43 pm

The Oxford Ki-43 Oscar is out now too. I didn't like the look of it at first but upon closer inspection of the pics, it's not so bad. The speckled camo scheme is a bit too 'regular' but still not bad and with a bit of brush painting i think it will look pretty good. It's a machine based in China in '43 combating the US 14th AF and of course the Chinese AF.

Does Oxford ever repaint Ixo models or just Atlas? There are oodles of great Ixo models just aching for repaints, without inked panel lines.