1/35 Armour collection

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/35 Armour collection

Post by Mad Sam » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:57 pm

I had to do a 700 mile round trip to pick up this collection - but I couldn't pass it up - There's approx 350 tanks and various afv and support vehicles covering WWI to Modern era.

Multples of some tanks such as about 10 Panthers and 5 Jagdpanthers, loads of Sherman and T34 versions and about 15-20 Panzer IV and variants.

They halted progress on my new model room while I sorted them out, but I'll have to move them so I can continue fitting it out.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: 1/35 Armour collection

Post by Epap » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Wow! What did you do-----raid a museum????

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Holy Crap, :shock:

That is a huge collection, Mad Sam. You must have rented a moving truck or something to pick up 350 larger scale models. And that is quite the round trip as well. 700 miles.

I am assuming the majority of these are built plastic kits, as I think Dragon is the only one that did pre built diecast in this scale, and had relatively few releases.

Not even going to ask how much you spent, aquiring this, but it must have been substantial.

Very, very impressive though. 8)

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Even if he got a bulk lot rate it still had to be a few thousand bucks American.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:53 pm

WOW, nice collection, love the sdkfz 234 series. I hope that FOV would do a pre-built normandy version.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:44 am

They're all built kits which range from early Tamiya and Italeri to recent Dragon and Trumpeter.

I paid under $2k for them, along with about 20 boxes of spare parts and part built items. (and a built and painted 1/32 Mitsubishi Zero....not sure how that got in there, but it can stay!)

I got them from guy who had been forced to give up because of ill health, and as he couldn't work on them anymore, his wife wanted the room back and told him to move them on before she put them out with the trash, which meant he was happy to get something back for them rather than see them scrapped.

It took nearly as long to pack them for the return journey as it did to drive back...and they completely filled the back of my Insignia Estate car.

Quite a few of the tanks have not been painted which work for me as I'll be putting my own schemes on them.

Cheers
Kev

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 am

Awesome collection you have there. Wonder how long it took him to build them all :D ?

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 am

He'd been building kits for 30 years, apparently there is an extensive aircraft collection, but I don't think he was under the same pressure yet to get rid of that - yet....

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 am

[ his wife wanted the room back and told him to move them on before she put them out with the trash, which meant he was happy to get something back for them rather than see them scrapped.

:(
WOMEN WOMEN WOMEN !!

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 pm

I've noticed similar large collections of built models becoming available. Recently a guy purchased hundreds of built aircraft. Sadly, if you notice, it's the older guys who are giving up their collections or even worse they are dying and the family wants to get rid of them. Think about it, if you go to a hobby shop or a model or hobby show, it's all older people, not much youth. Today's youth is not interested in making models let alone buying die cast. I wish kids would become more interested.
Fantastic collection. You really did get a bargain.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:56 pm

That really is a fantastic deal, Mad Sam. :D

A shame he had to get rid of them due to his health, but I am sure he is happy that they have gone to a good home, where they will be appreciated, and cared for. He must have been impressed that you came so far to take these off his hands.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm pleased to say that we both thought we made a good deal, he got his asking price and was very happy to get the cash.

As you can imagine, he was however, really sad to be letting them go, fighting back the tears as we looked over the collection - There was a lot of nostalgia in there for him - He told me that when his daughter was a little girl, she used to sit with him when he was making them, so he was letting those memories go as well as the models.

He was surprised when I got to his house at 9am, as I left home at 4 in the Morning to complete the round trip in a day. From our previous conversations he knew of my intention to repaint some, and finish the ones he hadn't been able to, and that there are ones I won't keep because they fall outside my interests, but thankfully he was of the opinion that his collection was going to be in the right hands.

Cheers
Kev

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:00 pm

In a similar vein, I had kept all my Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games from the early 80's for a long time, hoping to pass it all on to one of my kids. However, my two girls haven't really gotten the SF/Fantasy bug like I did and nowadays its all about online gaming and apps for damn Apple products. Crap like World of Warcraft really hurt the dice-rolling crowd, so I ended up selling it all.

And now that its all about the Kindle and the Nook, I have over 2000 books that no one in my family has interest in.

Kids just don't want to put in the effort anymore.

If I get any warning my time to go is coming up, I guess I'll sell all my models to buy a coffin.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Mad Sam wrote:
As you can imagine, he was however, really sad to be letting them go, fighting back the tears as we looked over the collection - There was a lot of nostalgia in there for him - He told me that when his daughter was a little girl, she used to sit with him when he was making them, so he was letting those memories go as well as the models.

That is sad to hear, but understandable. :(

Hope the Mrs. understands what he has given up, and that they aren't just toys taking up room.

Ara
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ara » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:58 pm

We're looking at a man's dream here. I am blown away by this.

That builder made it happen. He built the stash. Hat's off to him.

Good for you Mad Sam, for giving these models a new home. Very good.
www.TheLiterateShow.com

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Ara wrote:We're looking at a man's dream here. I am blown away by this.

That builder made it happen. He built the stash. Hat's off to him.

Good for you Mad Sam, for giving these models a new home. Very good.
Definitely. It's great that his collection found an appreciative new owner. Great collection.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for the comments gents, It sure is a good collection to have.
I've sorted through it over the last week and it's now boxed up again so I can finish of my model room.
The only issue will be the usual one of space to display anything, as I won't fit everything on the shelf space I have, so it will be a case of rotating my stock. (Luckily I've got plenty of storage space for the reserves)

Cheers
Kev