DeAgostini Launching WW2 German Warbird Series

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

DeAgostini Launching WW2 German Warbird Series

Post by Epap » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:52 am

They're coming at us so fast that it looks like a publisher subscription series blitzkrieg. Latest entry is a DeAgostini line focused on German WW2 birds in the 1:72nd scale. While the pictures seem to be mostly IXO redos, there is a JU-88G Mistel version to be given away as a promotional ploy and a ME-410. Even if they repeat all of the IXOs, plus what they can scrounge from Gemini, Amercom, Witty and, possibly, Corgi, it's har to see how they will get to the 70 planes promised without lots of second scheme reruns or, less likely, 35-40 new toolings.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: DeAgostini Launching WW2 German Warbird Series

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:14 am

Would have to be different schemes? They could run a few in 1:144 you think?

I welcome some of the 1:72 planes that have become overpriced because of rarity like the HE-219, HS-129, and DO-335. I still don't have any of those.
Maybe change the schemes up a little different would be good. Like the DO-335 (inaccurate?) brown and green.
The ME-410 is a new tooling though, hope it's nice.

I noticed while doing a search of 1:144 planes on ebay that there are a few new ones listed under DeAgostini, though not all German.
Some look like they are Atlas versions like the C-47 D-Day. Others look like they are IXO/ Altaya versions.

Though there are a few that I've never seen and don't know where they come from and are of really wonky construction. They get too cheap in the construction of some new planes in either scale, I'll be avoiding those.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:21 am

are you sure the mistel is 1/72? That would be a pretty big diecast. Maybe it's 1/100 or 1/144?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 am

aferguson wrote:are you sure the mistel is 1/72? That would be a pretty big diecast. Maybe it's 1/100 or 1/144?
They are claiming the whole line will be in 1:72, AF.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:21 pm

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Epap wrote:
aferguson wrote:are you sure the mistel is 1/72? That would be a pretty big diecast. Maybe it's 1/100 or 1/144?
They are claiming the whole line will be in 1:72, AF.
This will be cool, even better its coming from a company with cheap prices!
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Dauntless wrote:The link:
http://www.germanwarplanes.com/#planes
I want in on that subscription, but it keeps saying "page not found" :cry:
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:49 pm

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:
Dauntless wrote:The link:
http://www.germanwarplanes.com/#planes
I want in on that subscription, but it keeps saying "page not found" :cry:
You have to reside in the country the website is set up for, in this case, the UK.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Yeah I know, it sucks... :cry:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm

pretty neat. Does make you wonder about the accuracy of the magazine and models though when they have a description of the messerschmitt bf 100. :lol:

The mistel is a bit of a let down. It's a Mistel trainer version, without the modified nose of the operational ju-88 drones. And the picture doesn't look too promising as far as accuracy goes. Still as a free bonus for subscribing, it's hard to complain.

How much is the subcription in the UK?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:52 pm

aferguson wrote:pretty neat. Does make you wonder about the accuracy of the magazine and models though when they have a description of the messerschmitt bf 100. :lol:

The mistel is a bit of a let down. It's a Mistel trainer version, without the modified nose of the operational ju-88 drones. And the picture doesn't look too promising as far as accuracy goes. Still as a free bonus for subscribing, it's hard to complain.

How much is the subcription in the UK?
According to info on the DeAgostini website, you get 70 models stretched out over 2.6-2.7 years --one every two weeks ----for approximately $1100. You can always cancel your subscription or return an unwanted model------though this is really an old marketing ploy as, in practice, relatively few cancellations and returns materialize.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:26 pm

so a model and a magazine for about 16 bucks plus the bonus stuff. Pretty good deal....although some of the models don't look all that hot, like the 109f. But still a good deal and fun.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 am

I assume that the DeAgostini subscription venture featuring WW2 German birds will succeed and be launched, but I, for one would be extremely reluctant to subscribe to a 70 model series of 1:72nd scale models, most of which may be reworked IXOs, without seeing a full list of planes, including those involving new toolings. Also, I would want to know what portion of the total output consists of reruns with different schemes. The much better Hachette Japanese series, which is well up in the 90s in number of items included is relying more and more on redos, despite the fact that a number of important planes---Mavis, Emily, etc. ---have yet to make their appearance. I hope that this doesn't continue as it's a fine way to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:48 am

There is a report on the DAF that this offer was probably a test and that the idea was shelved after only four models were issued due to insufficient subscriber interest. If true, this demonstrates the strength, rather than the weakness of this particular type of business plan. Unlike the traditional model, where every tooling has to stand or fall on its own and there is no pre-testing, aside from getting opinions from the trade, the subscription idea is amenable to testing. When an offering like this, which features stock photos of old IXO models and no indication how they plan to get to 70 models without endless reruns of the same product, fails, the publisher just moves on to his next venture without being saddled with huge tooling and other costs. In contrast, If a Corgi, turns out 8-10 new models over the course of two years and loses money on 5 of them, it can only "dump" its unsold inventory to mitigate its red ink.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:16 am

it also shows that the subscription idea may be losing interest and there won't be anymore, too.

It is probably also a reflection of the deepening recession in the UK.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 am

aferguson wrote:it also shows that the subscription idea may be losing interest and there won't be anymore, too.

It is probably also a reflection of the deepening recession in the UK.
I think that the typical British collector is more sophisticated than most and less willing to accept IXO-level product, AF. Also, as you say, the recession must be a problem, plus the fact that the Atlas and Amercom fighter series just concluded successfully in the UK and a new Amercom bomber series has just appeared. I don't see this as a rejection of the subscription concept but, rather, a rejection of a badly formulated offer. After all, there's only so much warbird product that a single country can absorb. If everybody tries to get in on the act, nobody wins.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm surprised that Amercom or one of those companies like Oxford doesn't pick up the HE-219 or HS-129. Both are good sellers.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:50 pm

i was just thinking about this subscription offer. Although it died on the vine in its first attempt, i wonder if there will be a re-attempt to offer it.

I would say it was poorly presented and thought out its first time. Restricting it to just the UK, is too small a market and the pictures used were not very motivating to a collector, showing poorly done and uninteresting schemes.

If this were offered to the UK plus Europe and if the promos had better model pics i think it would probably do well. Since they are talking German planes only and 70 models, that would certainly imply that bomber sized aircraft would be offered; this would seem to be supported by the Mistel sign up bonus model.

I hope they give it another go next year.

Dauntless: i expect the 129 and 219 will see the light of day again. Either eventually by Oxford or someone like Warmaster or through another subscription. I just hope they leave the rudy drawn on panel lines off them when they come out again....totally spoils the look of the model.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Found a pic of a Warmaster He-219 someone took at the Nuremberg Toy Fair this year.

Scroll down a little more than halfway
http://forums.diecast-aviation.eu/showt ... 005&page=2

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm

interesting........i'm a bit leery of warmaster repaints though. The ones i've seen so far aren't so hot. Still something to look for. Thanks for the info.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:09 am

i see that the deagostini me-210 and some others from this series are being released at retail this coming June. The others aren't too exciting (stuka, 109e, 110, fw-190a) but the me-210 is of interest for sure. Even if it needs a total repaint it's still easier than building a kit from scratch. Prices i've seen for aircraft in this line are $20 each.

Not sure if they have undercarriage up option.......maybe Epap can shed some light on this.

Unfortuately, the Mistel isn't being released that i can see.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 am

The ME-210 was part of the original IXO series, but, like some others listed , never materialized. I happened to get my hands on one during the recent test and it was not bad as a model, though it lacked forward armament and was painted a silly over-all dark gray. Here's a picture of the original which is not fully assembled, but gives you a good idea of the kind of detail built into the molds:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 am

And the underside:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 am

Finally, here's the same model after a total redo:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am

the paint scheme for the upcoming release is better than the original, as it's a two tone grey/green somewhat like your repaint but the colours appear to be quite dark and some markings look out of place. So unless the real thing looks better in person i'll be doing a repaint of some kind to it. Still not bad for 20 bucks.

here's a pic of the upcomig deag release

http://www.eztoys.com/messerschmitt-me- ... g0004.html