New Hobby Master F-5E and Spitfire Mk.VIII

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

New Hobby Master F-5E and Spitfire Mk.VIII

Post by gouchy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Just gotten these from my local dealer and posting quick pics taken from phone.

1/72 F-5E Tiger II - VFA-127 Desert Bogeys, "Red 23", NAS Fallon

1/48 Spitfire Mk.VIII - RAAF No.457 Squadron, Wing Cmd Gibbes, "Grey Nurse"

Also brought home the 1/48 Spitfire Mk.VIII "Fargo Express" but did not take a pic of that. Really beautiful models, looks way better then in my pics. You can find better pics online like HM Collector or Flying Mule sites.

A concern for me is the dropping QC ball for HM. I like buying from the shops because I can give them a once over and select my purchases but usually by only viewing them from opening the front cover flap. They looked fine in the shop but when I took them home and unboxed them, I found a bent prop on the "Grey Nurse" Spitfire (did not see that thru the box as it was at the bottom blade) and a skewed landing gear on the F-5E.

So I took them back the next day for an exchange and was surprised as the remaining 2 F-5Es in the shop also had skewed main landing gear and all on the same left strut. So I picked the one that was the best of the worst gear.

The Spitfire was more straightforward, checked the prop was good and made my selection. But when I went home and unboxed it, realised with dread that the factory had laid 2 pieces of Paper Napkins (Facepalm!) to protect the underwing roundels paint. My fears were confirmed when the napkins stuck to the dried paint. So I have little tufts of paper fibre sticking on the roundels, if you look closely at pics again at the underwing you may see it, a little white strip.

I'll have to figure it out how to remove them, maybe wetting it a bit and gently pulling it off maybe? Any advice?

Still, these little QC issues did not detract me from enjoying and marvelling at these little gems. Both Spitfires looks great and the F-5E is darn sexy looking in black, a nice little homage to the Top Gun Mig-28 bogeys in my mind, pretty neat! :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

snake
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New Hobby Master F-5E and Spitfire Mk.VIII

Post by snake » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 am

Three nice purchases, Gouchy, and particularly like the Grey Nurse, and Fargo Express Spitfires. Something very different from the standard Battle of Britain MK 1's, or RAF versions. And both look great.

That Mig 28 is pretty nice as well. :wink:

Shame to hear about your QC issues with both the F-5, and Grey Nurse Spitfire. Haven't really heard of any others having these same issues, but your experience clearly points to more than one model. And not sure about what a paper napkin is doing in the box. :shock:

HM have always given us good quality models, although not without the occasional issue. Lets hope your experience is not a sign that their QC is suffering. At least you were able to go back to the brick and mortar store for an exchange. Not something you can do if bought online and shipped, without further cost for return shipping.

Hope you enjoy both your new Spits. 8)

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: New Hobby Master F-5E and Spitfire Mk.VIII

Post by gouchy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 am

Thanks Snake :)

I'm thinking maybe its just coincidental bad luck for my retailer to get a batch of models with some QC issues unless other collectors worldwide comes across the same issues.

Still kinda perplexed about the paper napkin, was a mixed feeling of dread and mirth as the 2 pieces of napkins under the wings had those decorative borders, a little classier then those you get at Macs say for example :lol:

I've usually come across only clear plastic sheets or waxed translucent paper for protection but this is the 1st time I've come across napkins. Maybe the factory ran out of those and someone in the factory was celebrating a birthday or something and had leftover napkins from the birthday party.

But in any case, my purchases are a mix of both motar and brick shop and from online retailers, but I'll be more diligent in checking my models from now on before bringing them home. Can't do much for online purchases though as its difficult to get exchanges so fingers crossed there.

But for anyone here that is getting the F-5E in a shop, do check the landing gear alignment just in case.
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace