1/32 Elite Force BBI F-4J "Black Knights" Photo Review

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

1/32 Elite Force BBI F-4J "Black Knights" Photo Review

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Greetings:

With over 5,000 produced in a variety of versions, the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom was one of the most popular military aircraft of the Cold War. Originally used by the United States Navy and the United States Air Force, the F-4 also found use with the United States Marine Corps and a host of other NATO countries, some of which are still using the aircraft. The aircraft was also used by the United States Navy Blue Angels and the United States Air Force Thunderbirds flight demonstration teams. Considered modern and advanced during the Vietnam War, the F-4 soldiered on in the US Inventory until the 1991 Gulf War, when the Phantom finally flew its last combat sorties. The Phantom is still in service with the USAF, who use the retired airframes as remote controlled target drones in missile tests. A select few F-4's are used to showcase the aircraft and its storied service in Vietnam in the USAF Heritage Flight Program at airshows, but eventually even these lucky machines will get shot down by USAF fighters in missile tests.

The latest model in the Elite Force Series produced by BBI is a repaint of the F-4J mold BBI had released previously in a Vietnam era VF-84 Jolly Rogers scheme. The repaint of mold represents an aircraft from VF-154 "Black Knights" based on the USS Ranger near the end of the Vietnam War.

BBI began releasing its 1/18 aircraft repaints in a newer box that eliminates the troublesome and often easily damaged plastic window. BBI has taken that box design to the 1/32 line with the new repaint of the F-4J. This box is much more sturdy and professional looking than the previous window box BBI used.

Upon opening the box you find the fuselage of the F-4J, secured with wire to the bottom of the box. This is the only wire used throughout the package. The smaller accessories and parts are neatly secured in the white boxes. All of the smaller accessories are wrapped in foam and plastic bags to insure safe shipment. No parts were broken on my model upon unpacking everything.

These are all the parts that come with the model. The parts are exactly the same molds as used from the S1 version with a small exception. It appears the missile rail tabs for the Sidewinder missile attachment are smaller. This allows them to fit into the wing holes easier. All the parts are nicely painted and molded. It is interesting to note that on the S2 version, BBI did not do the stenciling on the Sidewinder missiles that will be on the inside rails. The missiles also are slightly different colors than the S1 version. The S2 version of the plane also has slightly different antiglare coloring and more stenciling than the S1 VF-84 Jolly Roger version.

The Phantom assembles easily. The fit on all my parts was excellent as was the finish. Nothing needed trimming or adjustment. All parts fit tightly enough that nothing needed gluing. The hardest parts to put on are the missiles for the underside of the aircraft. The fit is tight and use caution not to break the fins. The pilots are also tough to get into the cockpit, especially the guy in the rear seat. Overall appearance of the model is good for a prebuilt plane. My only complaint is slight overspray around the cockpit area but this was also an issue on my VF-84 S1 plane. The VF-154 colors are much sharper and eye catching than the promotional pictures lead you to believe and really set the model off nicely.

Another view of the assembled Phantom. One improvement for the Phantom that would be nice would be wingtips that would LOCK once they are in proper position. This would prevent the uneven look you can get trying to position them properly. The colors on this plane are very eye catching. The flaps, stablizers and wingtips move and the canopies open and close. The landing gear is plug in and can be swapped for a "gear up" look. The weathering around the nose cone is a bit odd and I don't know if it is meant to look like this or it was a BBI paint error on my model. I may end up getting some matte black and changing that. It is not a deal breaker though at all. (TURNS OUT THIS WAS SOME GRAY COLORED DIRT AND WIPED OFF)

The Phantom is displayed with some of its many working control surfaces in use. As stated the cockpits open, the flaps open and the vertical stablizers move. In addition, the tailhook deploys and the gear doors function as well, though the gear is swapped instead of being retractable. The folding wing hinges are well designed and durable. They seem a bit stronger than on the S1 version. The weapon load is suitable for the model. It is important to note that versions of the F-4 were entirely dependent on missiles as they lacked any gun as a secondary weapon. This is probably the reason BBI opted for a large load of missiles. You will also notice in this picture the gray debris on the nose have been wiped clear and the F-4 looks much better now around the nose area.

The VF-154 Phantom is joined by the VF-84 S1 Phantom BBI produced. Both models are different enough in color scheme they are worthy of being in a collection together. Though I went into buying the VF-154 version thinking the VF-84 version was better, I honestly like the flashy look of the VF-154 version. They are two beautiful Phantoms and I am glad to have both of them.

My VF-154 Phantom is sharing a shelf with my BBI Dauntless for the time being. Interesting to see how large the F-4 is to the World War II era Dauntless.

Just for fun the VF-154 Phantom in action above the skies of Vietnam. This edit was accomplished by putting the F-4J on cloud posterboard then shooting the picture from above. Added black and white, some noise and blurring to make it have a bit more realism. I like the F-4J looks as if it in a high performance climb the way this worked out.

Overall, the Black Knights 1/32 Phantom is a model worthy of a collection. In typical BBI tradition the model is well built, features good paint quality, nicely fitting parts and is a good presentation. Some improvements for the future would be locking wingtips, slightly better stenciling (particularly on those inside missiles) and better paint quality around the cockpit area. These minor issues do not detract from what is otherwise a wonderful model of a legendary combat aircraft. I hope BBI follows this model with a rerelease of a Dauntless and Wildcat and maybe more 1/32 aircraft in the future.
Last edited by Coreyeagle48 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 1/32 Elite Force BBI F-4J "Black Knights" Photo Review

Post by gouchy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 am

Corey thank you for the excellent review, pics and congrats on getting a very nice model! 8)

I do agree with you 100% that it looks way better in your pics then on the promo pics.

It does not get overshadowed by the JR at all when paired together in the pic I have to say :D

Darn it! I'd already convinced myself I do not need this one while hoping for a preferred scheme for S3... now these pics are giving me 2nd thoughts...

This is why forums can do you lots of good and it can also spell doom for you :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 am

Yep, I'm for sure ordering this one Monday, instead of the S1 version!
It's a bit disappointing there's no (folding) gear on it though...
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 am

Corey Thanks for your great review and pictures (as usual)

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Great review, and pics, Corey. Thanks for posting.

Agree with all your points, and I also must say that it does look better in your pics than it did in the BBI pre production shots. I do like the extra stencils on this compared to the JR release.

A reluctant pass from me, but hope that this does well enough for BBI to release other 1/32 Phantoms. So many schemes that could be done, and the Phantom is a popular model, with the 1/72 ones selling very well, and almost 60 different schemes done. :shock:

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Excellent review...Agree 100%...Very pleased with both of my BBI Phantoms - Room for one more on my shelf, but only if it is a camo version!

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm

456THBG wrote:Excellent review...Agree 100%...Very pleased with both of my BBI Phantoms - Room for one more on my shelf, but only if it is a camo version!
^ I second that statement ^
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Greetings:

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the review. Added two more pictures to show the working parts and a little fun I had with the model.

One interesting item to note is the error BBI made on the box. BBI refers to this airplane as being from VFA-154. However, at the time of this aircraft being in service the squadron was still VF-154, picking up the VFA-154 identification much later. The markings are right on the airplane but not the box. Just an interesting note.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 pm

The tail fins were a little scary and the guy in the back took a little bit to get in. I had the gray dust on the nose, a few dabbles of paint below the port aft cockpit window. A dabble of paint above the port tail fin. Nothing major though and it is a nice plane for the $.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Great review and photos Corey. All your points were spot on and your attention to detail is enviable. Since I don't own an S1 version of this plane it was interesting to read about and see the differences.

I agree with USCGMK2's statement about the back wings. I was terrified I was going to snap off the tabs which attach them. I spent more time trying to figure out how they lined up than I did assembling the rest of the plane. Finally my roomate examined them and found the ridge on the bottom of the tab and rolled them into place.

All that being said I couldn't be more pleased to have added this Phantom to my collection.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Great review, very well spoken. Your Phantom came with a Pilot and a WSO ...... now there's an idea.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Really great review :D

A couple cosmetic differences between the S1 and S2 BBI F-4s. There is certainly a difference in the weathering - the S1 model has quite a bit more - and BBI correctly painted the the framing between the two cockpits on the S2 model. I painted that framing on my S1 plane a long time ago, so seeing your photos reminded me that there was that little error initially.

My Black Knights F-4 is still sitting in its box - but I did get one since the BBI F-4 tooling is so well done. This makes me want to take it out all the more.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

sluff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sluff » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Anyone feel like making one of these Phantoms ready to prune a few trees? :twisted:

http://www.hlj.com/product/VOL50335
Where is my Skyraider?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 pm

I just got my F-4 put togather, but it looks like there's something missing in between the sidewinders, or is it suppose to look like that?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 am

I do however like the box they ship it to you in, the one from Bbi, here she is with my AH-64